One Kubota loaded only 4 pieces of firewood-1 at a time

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois

Pulling 4 pieces of oak 38-40" across and 20" thick home on my crappy trailer. Probably 2000+ pounds on a trailer that should only carry 800 on a good day. It was a crappy trailer even before my wife wrecked it 2 weeks ago when she jack-knifed it on a hill in the pasture (did more damage to my truck than the trailer). Lifted the rounds onto the trailer with the loader and hooks. Carefully!

Anyway. Thought y'all might get a kick out of this.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Looks like some good material for table tops. Joe
It's green oak. Probably split a lot as it dries. Power co dropped the tree at a neighbors about 1 mile away and he didn't want it. That was the last of many loads.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
once split - that thar is a hellva lot of wood! More than people would guess.

Nice to have an old "crappy trailer" ....even IF the wife makes a boo boo!!!!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A crappy trailer be mo-bettuh than no trailer. Everyone ought to have one!

:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dayum that poor splitter is gona work for a living I can see that

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
You can see the black spot that is actually a streak running all thru the trunk. It means there is metal in the tree, like a nail or spike etc. Because it came from a house yard (historically an old country schoolhouse) the sawmill wouldn't touch it. The odds of hitting that spike with the chainsaw aren't that much considering 18-20" slices but damn if I didn't hit it anyway!
Yeah, the splitter gets a workout, so does the saw. The Kubota and I made many trips back and forth for this firewood.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I might try to get a good slice or 2 for tabletops. I've got some wood sealer that will slow drying and help limit cracking. I used it on a big black walnut beam that I milled for a fireplace mantle and it worked great on that. Landark and Anchor- one was for endgrain and other for long grain (don't remember which!). I can always try a couple and stick them away in the barn just for kicks. I need more unfinished projects.

RDL

Jun 10, 2015
Lowell,AR
Here's a pic of a load of oak wood from last year. If I had my Kubota then I wouldn't have had to load all by hand myself!! Back breaker for sure!!

re54drider

Equipment
L2800, FEL, Bush Hog
May 9, 2011
Goldston, nc
My grandfather made wooden recurve bows and arrows..He used to keep his blanks submerged to slow down the drying and reduce checking.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Hudson sprayer and teak oil. Keep respraying the entire surface every 2-3 months depending on exposure. The oil will eventually fully penetrate the wood (or very deeply penetrate it) and pretty much counter the drying process. You can't skip applications though. If you miss one and the surface dries out while the inside sucked in the last of the oil, it will intake moisture and your late application will trap that moisture and cause really unwanted effects, including possibly worse splitting and cracking as oil and water have different expansion effects and rates in the wood!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I might try to get a good slice or 2 for tabletops. I've got some wood sealer that will slow drying and help limit cracking. I used it on a big black walnut beam that I milled for a fireplace mantle and it worked great on that. Landark and Anchor- one was for endgrain and other for long grain (don't remember which!). I can always try a couple and stick them away in the barn just for kicks. I need more unfinished projects.
I think the Anchor goes on the end grain, at least that is what the local wood shop sold me to put on the ends of some oak ash walnut boards I had milled from my trees to keep them from checking too much. And there they still sit in my barn, yet another unfinished project :(

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back in highschool we knocked down several black walnut trees to put up some out buildings maybe 24 to 30 inches around. Uncle John said he was going to get them to a saw mill and have boards cut out of them. Anyways we drug them back to the barn and rolled them on a couple of 4x4s and he melted a bucket full of canning and bees wax he had laying around, and we painted the cut ends really heavy, he said that would keep the logs from checking whiled they dried out,,,, I dont remember if it worked or not, just thought I would toss that out

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
You can always try methods to prevent cracking, but if it fails, nothing lost but some time.
Hey that trailer is pretty good at big loads. Tires not squatting either.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My father in law was a hand made furniture builder, mahogany, cherry, walnut, etc. he built furniture for Mcaruther. He used linseed oil on his wood .