??? on loading Tires

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I am pretty sure my Kubota tires are load with calcium chloride. Put some metal into the solution then air dried and rusty...
What I don't understand is I have found Goodyear websites stating calcium chloride is perfectly safe for ballast and will not corrode your rims. It also said to make sure the tire is filled nearly full of fluid. Could it be that without the presence of oxygen the corrosion doesn't occur? I would be very interested to hear from someone with years of knowledge at changing and loading tires.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I am pretty sure my Kubota tires are load with calcium chloride. Put some metal into the solution then air dried and rusty...
What I don't understand is I have found Goodyear websites stating calcium chloride is perfectly safe for ballast and will not corrode your rims. It also said to make sure the tire is filled nearly full of fluid. Could it be that without the presence of oxygen the corrosion doesn't occur? I would be very interested to hear from someone with years of knowledge at changing and loading tires.
We had a big old Case tractor with that had calcium chloride in the tires for many, many years and never a problem. So I wouldn't worry about.

Btw, plain water, air dried on a piece of steel or iron will rust it.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I put some steel in plain water to compare with the rusting from putting steel in the tire ballast fluid. Much worse on the plain water so I am giving up and stop worrying about it.;)