Old film on the history of the diesel

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I ran across this youtube video by accident - reminded me of the old films we watched in 3rd grade with the sound and film being somewhat "off"

the history of the diesel - watching those old very heavy machine doing work - to me is amazing.

the original diesel engine was designed it to run on plant oil .... what a concept for the day.

And what is not mentioned is that Rudolf Diesel somehow "died" on the way to England to help them with the diesel engine power that he did not wish the Germans to have. Whether he was pushed or jumped, kinda makes you think about the pressure he must have been under at that time in history.

Reactions: 2 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
That was very interesting.. always neat to see an original film of the old days and how it was made.
Maybe a dumb question.. was the heat bulb similar to our now glow plug? Makes sense to me I think, but I'm not much of a diesel mechanic or any other for that matter.lol My two Kubota's are the only diesels I've ever had.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I ran across this youtube video by accident - reminded me of the old films we watched in 3rd grade with the sound and film being somewhat "off"

the history of the diesel - watching those old very heavy machine doing work - to me is amazing.

the original diesel engine was designed it to run on plant oil .... what a concept for the day.

And what is not mentioned is that Rudolf Diesel somehow "died" on the way to England to help them with the diesel engine power that he did not wish the Germans to have. Whether he was pushed or jumped, kinda makes you think about the pressure he must have been under at that time in history.

You commented on the German connection, which is true, but also the American oil companies had a vested interest, he was running his engines on vegetable oil plus other products, they new first hand they could be replaced. They the ones that got rid of the whale oil business.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I've read that modern diesel engines can run on vegetable oil too. Anyone know about that?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've read that modern diesel engines can run on vegetable oil too. Anyone know about that?
Absolutely - there are a few small things that you need to change but nothing major.

THE biggest problem is filtering the used oil - which can be a slow process until you have some larger equipment.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Absolutely - there are a few small things that you need to change but nothing major.

THE biggest problem is filtering the used oil - which can be a slow process until you have some larger equipment.
Yeah them fries could really plug things up! 😁

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah a guy that worked at a local mine was a self proclaimed tinker. He built his own geothermal system to heat and cool the house. And he had a VW diesel and a Ford truck diesel, and picked up used cooking oil, and built some kind of filter. I dont know what he did to them but you could always tell when he went past. Anyone that was following him had a sudden urge to stop at Mickie Ds and get a bag of french fries

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Yeah a guy that worked at a local mine was a self proclaimed tinker. He built his own geothermal system to heat and cool the house. And he had a VW diesel and a Ford truck diesel, and picked up used cooking oil, and built some kind of filter. I dont know what he did to them but you could always tell when he went past. Anyone that was following him had a sudden urge to stop at Mickie Ds and get a bag of french fries
My brother in-law use to collect the used oils around his town and turned it into "bio diesel" to heat his house..

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Do they still give that stuff away or want you to pay for it now ?

Jriedy85

Equipment
B2710, TG1860
Jun 17, 2020
Ohio
Guy I work with converted his Diesel Ram to run on veg oil. He would go to fast food restaurants and take their used oil then refine it so it was clean. He had a tank for veg oil in the bed of his truck so he could just flip a switch to go between using diesel or veg oil. it was pretty cool.