Oil type question

yooper jim

Equipment
BX2660
May 15, 2010
Northern Michigan
Kubota man
No .......... It is I, that apologize for hijacking your thread with a rant. You asked type of oil and not brand. The Amsoil commercial just rubbed me wrong way this time. Again I apologize.

Spudgunner

Equipment
BX23
Feb 18, 2011
Idaho
My old BX service manual states thus:
Engine oil: API Service CC or CD.
Below 32F: SAE10W, 10W-30 or 10W-40
32F-77F: SAE20, 10W-30, 10W-40
Above 77: SAE30, 10W-30, 10W-40

I use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 year-round. You can get it at Costco. If my BX23 had a turbo I would probably run a synthetic...and, in fact, I do run Delvac-1 in my Toolcat (which has a turbo'd Kubota engine).

For hydraulics, Super UDT is the specified fluid; however, I use Chevron Synthetic THF.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Kubotaman, like Bulldog said, diesel oils suspend the soot from combustion, where gas engine oils don't. Personally, I wouldn't risk any of my diesel engines by using a marginal gas-engine oil. Rule of thumb, I use diesel-rated oil, and the best filters available.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Spudgunner, I'm gonna try to sneak a question in real quiet and maybe it won't get to ugly like before. Curious about your Toolcat. I've seen them at the dealer and at some equipment shows but never had the chance to talk to a real owner. If you don't mind me asking, What sort of work do you do with it and what's your opinion of it? If you could would you make changes to it or does it do everything you need it to do?

Thanks, Bulldog.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
So I think I got it. Please correct me if I am wrong (as I know you will) regular oil is fine as it meets all the standards as specified by Kubota, however a diesel type of oil is going to be better for my little giant.

BTW it is OK in my book to talk about Bobcat here because they have the heart of Kubota with Orange flowing threw their veins :D

Spudgunner

Equipment
BX23
Feb 18, 2011
Idaho
Spudgunner, I'm gonna try to sneak a question in real quiet and maybe it won't get to ugly like before. Curious about your Toolcat. I've seen them at the dealer and at some equipment shows but never had the chance to talk to a real owner. If you don't mind me asking, What sort of work do you do with it and what's your opinion of it? If you could would you make changes to it or does it do everything you need it to do?

Thanks, Bulldog.
Well, since Kubota_Man has given the Ok for "topic drift"...
The concept behind the Toolcat, IMO, is outstanding. The implementation leaves a bit to be desired in terms of reliability (except for the Kubota engine which has been flawless). Commercially, I use mine 99% for snow removal and I have a couple of blowers and a blade. When I was looking for commercial-grade snow removal equipment, the two finalists were the Kubota GrandL-5740HSTC and the Toolcat. Ultimately I bought the Toolcat as its forte, IMO, is snow removal and the snow blowers available for Toolcats and skid steers are just out-and-out BURLY in terms of their construction. The front blower for the Kubota tractor was not available for me to examine while the Bobcat dealer had several blowers on the lot.

Of course, the Toolcat also has side-by-side seating so you can bring your dog along for the snow removal fun. Half the subdivision refers to my mutt as "Tooldog" and the UPS guy said I needed a bumper sticker that said, "Dog is my copilot."

Bobcat has come out with a second version of the Toolcat (the 5610) that has a three-point hitch on the back (instead of a dump bed). The PTO associated with the 3-pt is basically a hydraulic motor.

Hope that helps. It sounds like maybe you are just kicking the tires right now. If you want to know more of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, about Toolcats, just shoot me a message via the PM facility of this site as I don't want to derail KM's thread much longer.
-------------------
We now return you to the previously scheduled lubricant debate.:eek:

Last edited: