Oil Seal for Mid PTo

kcoburn

Equipment
L5240HSTC & 2 B7610s
Mar 26, 2010
West Branch, Iowa
I have a L5240 equipped with the mid PTO kit to run a front snow blower. The thing has started leaking. Not losing a lot of oil but enough to make a helluva mess on my shop floor. The seal is available and I'm trying to decide whether to replace it or continue to live with the mess. Is there anyone out there that has any experience replacing the seal? The PTO was installed by the dealer before delivery. The manual for installing this kit comes with the kit but doesn't have a part number so can't be ordered that I can find.
Like to know if I pull the old one is it going to dump all the trans/hydraulic oil? The seal is a cast round plug with a hole in the middle for the shaft. It's a press in with a groove for an o-ring. If I can replace it without dumping too much of the oil, I'll replace it now. Otherwise I'll wait til it's time to change the SUDT.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Perhaps the attachment will help...

Not certain if the mid PTO is different between the -1 and -3 models. You'll have to confirm the P/N is correct.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is by far the easiest seal to change, no disassembly required, have a drain pan under it, use a screwdriver pop the old seal out, have new seal already in hand , install new seal, top off fluid and go about your day. ;)

P/N 37500-16470, and yes all models use the same seal. ;)

kcoburn

Equipment
L5240HSTC & 2 B7610s
Mar 26, 2010
West Branch, Iowa
Thanks to both of you for the prompt responses. I have the parts manual and that's the number it shows. I can get it through Coleman Equip in Kansas City.
Will order it yet today. I'm pretty sure that the seal is made by the O-ring behind the flange. The oil seeps out around the flange. Would I get any additional benefit by putting a tiny bead of some sealant on the outer surface of the flange that slides into the surface of the opening in the case? If so, what sealant would you recommend? It would need to be one that would seal against an oily surface.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's leaking on the case sealing edge of the seal, drain all the hydraulic oil out, pull seal, dry the area with brake parts cleaner, and use a small bead of ultra blue silicone on the seal and reinstall.