Oil pressure

airbear

Equipment
L175
Aug 28, 2016
Pineville
Older L175 w/ 1500 hours. starts easy, runs smooth.
Light on, engine start, light off, 45 secs, oil light back on at any rev. ??? any ideas??

Removed obvious bolts from oil pan , pan stuck? tried bumping, tried breaking pan seal with screw driver, don't want to get to aggressive until I'm sure.
appreciate any ideas/helpl
Thanks
airbear

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
The adhesive sealant they use is really tough stuff. I've had to pound a thin chisel knife into the seam. But before you look inside the pan, which may not show a clear reason for low oil pressure, try connecting a pressure gauge in the switch hole (above the starter) to see what the actual pressure is. If it has even 10 or 15 psi it may run ok for a long time without getting into it.
Edit: As Wolfman says below, cam plug can be the culprit - search OTT for info. I dunno how good the oil pressure would be if the cam plug is loose or out.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
More common cause of low oil pressure in these models is the cam plug, (it's a plug they put in when it's new, and it falls out over time).
It's located under the front gear case cover.

airbear

Equipment
L175
Aug 28, 2016
Pineville
Good advice thanks, It just bugs me that the oil lite goes out [normally] but after a moment or two comes back on and stays on no matter the revs. curious?
Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good advice thanks, It just bugs me that the oil lite goes out [normally] but after a moment or two comes back on and stays on no matter the revs. curious?
Thanks
As the pressure builds with the "cold" oil, it will hit the gauge sensor enough to kick it off, once the flow gets a going - the pressure will drop back just enough to kick the light on.

I agree with NIW - that cam plug is probably the problem. Easy fix - just need to take off the front cover and dig in.....WSM will help !;):)

airbear

Equipment
L175
Aug 28, 2016
Pineville
Original prob. oil light on,,,,, start engine, oil light off, for a moment, then oil light comes back on.

I wanted to thank who ever share the solution " diaphragm in oil pressure sensor might have pin hole and once it fills with oil it allows the light to come back on" Many thanks and spot on. Just replaced oil pressure sensor, every thing is working fine......
airbear.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I had a similar problem, replaced sensor and that fixed the light. Sometimes you get lucky and it turns out to be the easy fix.