Oil levels off from dealer

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I bought a b2320 a couple weeks ago and used it a couple times. I decided to look at oil levels and noticed engine oil is about 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch above full mark and hydraulic level is at the bottom line so very low, I haven't check the front axel yet but will to make sure it's ok.
#1 I've put 2 hours on tractor would this damage anything with the oil level being the way it is?
#2 should I contact dealership? We all pay for this PDI shit, shouldn't they have look at all of this?
I just don't want to start off on the wrong foot with them and piss them off because I might need them down the line with warranty issues or repairs.
thanks

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Did you check oil level after sitting overnight?
if its high when checking it after shutdown, then there may be cause for concern.
Only if oil level increases.check it after several hours again. 1/4" high shouldnt be a problem.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Jt,

not to panic just yet, the engine oil level is actually the one that is the worse part of the picture - 1/4 above the line is fine, but as it starts to get higher, THAT would be a problem! As for hydraulic fluid - shoot is seems that everyone's B and BX come out the store a bit low!

Here is what I would do - Double check everything, on reeeealllly level ground, and maybe even take a picture of the two dipsticks with your phone - slide by the dealer (if close) and ask the big man ifn you can get a 1 quart of UDT or S-UDT2......

if he gives you any lip - show him the pics in a nice way, be concerned, and tell him HOW YOU ARE saving HIM time and energy to do it for him!! I bet he gives you the quart!

Nothing is hurt on your machine, promise you. Think of it this way.......low on the dipstick mean something is still there! We humans can run around a pint low, or a pint high every now and again!:eek::D:)

Do keep an eye out and check often - break the machine in the right way and you will be impressed in what it does!;)

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I checked it right after shutting it off, so I said to myself that's maybe why it's reading higher on dipstick so I waited an hour or so then checked it again and it was at the same level.

Why would the level increase as time goes on?? What would that mean?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I checked it right after shutting it off, so I said to myself that's maybe why it's reading higher on dipstick so I waited an hour or so then checked it again and it was at the same level.

Why would the level increase as time goes on?? What would that mean?

In an older tractor - levels can GO UP !!

Older engines sometimes will allow fuel oil to leak into the crankcase and or a small pin hole in a head will allow coolant to go into crankcase - both raise the level of engine oil - YOU do not have either of these problems.

On the hydraulic side - water seeps in there, usually will not raise the level, but will muck up the works!

Get you another quart of the UDT or S-UDT2 and use it to top off the fluids - good news here is that you can use in the front axle too if you find that a little low.

Another thing - dont let the "look" of diesel oil get you down, after a while it will be dark if not blackish - when you hit 50 hours - you'll be changing that and can hit the mark where you wish.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Why would the level increase as time goes on?? What would that mean? "

This would indicate a failure of some type allowing either coolant, or fuel into your oil system.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Jtryan,
First and most common is that changing the grade / level / angle of the tractor will change the look on the dip sticks greatly.
so always check it level as you can.
Next it's not uncommon for the levels to be off right out of the dealer... they are human and to error is human! ;)
So note the levels, then run the tractor for another hour or so and recheck, if you can park it in the same place as the last time you checked just to eliminate that variable, also let it sit and cool for about 1/2 hour.

Now if the level of the engine oil is going up and the level of the hydraulic fluid is going down, there is only one cause of that, it's got a bad seal on the hydraulic pump and is pumping hydraulic fluid into the oil, then yes have the dealer fix it Immediately.
Hydraulic fluid in the engine will not hurt it if addressed soon, I've seen motors that have run 100's of hours with hydraulic fluid in them with no ill effects, so no panic required! :D

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
I understand the human part of things but when we pay a pre delivery inspection (800) I expect things to be in order especially oil levels. I've check oils on level ground in my garage. I hope it's not hydraulic oil leaking in engine like you say.
I went to dealer to get oil for hydraulic and let them know about what I found.
I tried do drain engine oil but was unable to get drain plug out its really tight so I'm going to get them to come do it since its there fault

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I understand the human part of things but when we pay a pre delivery inspection (800) I expect things to be in order especially oil levels. I've check oils on level ground in my garage. I hope it's not hydraulic oil leaking in engine like you say.
I went to dealer to get oil for hydraulic and let them know about what I found.
I tried do drain engine oil but was unable to get drain plug out its really tight so I'm going to get them to come do it since its there fault
I agree with you 100%. You should get what you pay for. If the mechanic was incompetent enough to let something as simple as proper fluid levels to escape his attention, I wouldnt trust them. When mine was delivered with 7 hours on it, my Hydraulic level was almost a gallon low. The oil was black as hell too, but I hear that's normal from coatings they put on the engine components and it mixes with your oil. I still didn't like it. Call me old school. The front axle oil was at its proper level, but you don't know what grade of fluid some dealers will have their guys put in the machines to save a few bucks.

At 14 hours, I drained and replaced the oil, oil filter, hydraulic fluid, and the 2 filters that go with that. All kubota brand, 10w 30 oil, Super udt2 synthetic stuff, and for the front axles I used lucas heavy duty 80w90. When I drained the fluids, all 3 had shavings in them. The hydraulic had some corkscrew shavings in it, which was the worst I saw, oil had the least amount, and the axle fluid had a heavy metallic swirl to it.

I'm glad I did it, and I know it's done right. Be careful as mentioned previously, that you have level ground to work with, and if you don't, by draining and refilling with the recommended amounts, you'll know for a fact you have the right amount in, level or not, and use it to find your benchmark. Give that oil plug a hard turn with a ratchet.

After that, see if you're levels are off, either high or low, and make your next move to have the dealer correct it if needs be. Find another dealer if you have to, don't be a slave to mediocrity. Piss them off. It's an expensive machine. You deserve your money's worth. :eek:

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I agree everyone is human and I also agree you should get what you pay for. The shop foreman is shoving them through as fast as he can. they want quantity not quality. My L3700SU was low in the front axle, and the hst. Dad's L3800hst was the same story and they came from different dealers.

Jtryan

Equipment
B2320
Jan 17, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
They can get away with it because I don't think most customers pay attention to oil levels when you first get them from the shop. You expect it to be ready to go. They gave me the oil to add in the HST and I told them I would drain some engine oil but then I got thinking I shouldn't be doing this since it should have been done before hand so I called them back and told the service guy to get someone to come and do it. Especially when it's -15 I don't feel like laying down on cold garage floor.

I would highly recommend anybody buying tractor to verify oil levels upon delivery that way you can ship it back if things aren't proper.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
They can get away with it because I don't think most customers pay attention to oil levels when you first get them from the shop. You expect it to be ready to go. They gave me the oil to add in the HST and I told them I would drain some engine oil but then I got thinking I shouldn't be doing this since it should have been done before hand so I called them back and told the service guy to get someone to come and do it. Especially when it's -15 I don't feel like laying down on cold garage floor.

I would highly recommend anybody buying tractor to verify oil levels upon delivery that way you can ship it back if things aren't proper.

Glad you dealer is supportive - and he should be! :)