Oil Leaking Out Of The Split Pin Plug

mx1alex

Equipment
2007 L3940
Mar 18, 2015
Missouri
I have an L3940 HST with cab w/ ~640 hours and there is oil (pretty sure it's hyrdaulic oil) coming out the Split pin plug. I have only had the tractor for a month or so and have only run it hard a couple of times. Both times when I go to park it I have noticed the oil leaking out. It's never been a lot of fluid but enough to make a mess on the floor. Maybe 3-4 ounces at most. But who knows how much is coming out when it's running.

Since the first time I noticed it I have been checking my fluids pretty regular and haven't seen a big loss of fluid anywhere. From reading some other posts on the subject it appears to be an input shaft seal that's probably gone bad and to be fixed the tractor needs to be split. So I have a few questions:

1. Is it something that needs to be fixed right away? Since it's losing very little fluid am I ok to let it go for now as long as I keep fluid levels right?

2. What kind of cost is it to have repaired at a dealership? I'm assuming splitting a tractor is a big ordeal and beyond my skill set.

3. Had somebody mention I should check to see if transmission vent or engine vent is plugged. Where would I find these vents. I'm guessing if this is the problem it would be the transmission vent since it appears to be leaking hydraulic fluid.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Also, as far as an estimate, it's around a 20hr job, by the time you remove the loader and subframe, and all components, plus you have the cost of new oil, hyd filters, and the few parts that are inside