Oil leak…where to look? L3560 LE tractor

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560LE, Grapple, bucket, snow plow, forks, stump bucket
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
Well I wouldn’t have guessed that. The leak was from a different piece of equipment.

Did you check the fluid level in the front axle anyhow, since they have been known to be under filled from the dealer in recent years.

What did they think about the routing of those 3rd function lines? Standard “They’re all like that.” ?
Yes, the tech checked the front axle fill level with a flashlight. All good there.

aghhhh, i forgot to ask about the routing of the 3rd function lines….duh!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Why does it look like the front axle has already been worked on/removed? Look at the bolts holding the front axle support, they have been messed with….
The grand L 60 series tractors are shipped in a crate (usually), with the front axle bolted to the crate turned sideways alongside the tractor. During assembly process, the axle assembly has to be installed.

So with that, I'd lean toward a loose or pinched or otherwise leakin power steering hose.

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The grand L 60 series tractors are shipped in a crate (usually), with the front axle bolted to the crate turned sideways alongside the tractor. During assembly process, the axle assembly has to be installed.

So with that, I'd lean toward a loose or pinched or otherwise leakin power steering hose.
I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn’t the tractor that leaked the fluid…:LOL:

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Lol. Conservative of mass, momentum and energy. The fluid came from somewhere. If not the tractor, then something else. If not from something else, then the tractor. Sort of has to be one or the other.

Good luck with the move.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yes, the tech checked the front axle fill level with a flashlight. All good there.

aghhhh, i forgot to ask about the routing of the 3rd function lines….duh!
I'm curious as to why he needed a flashlight to check the oil level. Don't you pull the plug and see if oil comes out?

Is there a better/easier way to check by using a flashlight?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am running like a chicken with my head cut off. We are moving from Ohio to Maine And building a new home on 24 acres we bought. But we need to sell the Maine home to fund the build and hopefully sell the Ohio home. We just got back from Maine, 800 miles one way. We have had to talk to Town Planning and Development, our real estate attorney and the surveyor. We have had to delay the Maine house going up for sale until the deeds are sorted out. We are back in Ohio now and tomorrow I need to see if I can get my mill (2700 pounds) moved as well as my lathe so that on Friday the industrial fork lift I am renting (shows up Friday) can load our builders dump trailer that I am borrowing. Borrowing the trailer because it has a load rating of 14,000 pounds. You can see the problem…barely time to breathe or even think.

My body is in full revolt telling me this is crazy…I can hardly get up out of the chair to walk in the other room. Once I get moving it isn’t too bad….aggghhhhhhh

So as you can see there isn’t time to troubleshoot. I need to rifle shoot this sucker. Assuming I get some time, given the location of the puddle what should I look at for finding and hopefully repairing the leak. The tractor has less than an hour on it and that is just for moving stuff With the forks. The oil is pretty clear, not amber. Help! What kind of oil is it? Where can I get some. If it is hydraulic oil, i just moved to Maine the new Kubota oil I had.

View attachment 108161
View attachment 108162
View attachment 108163

View attachment 108164
Tractor equipped with very vulnerable OEM third function plumbing behind right front wheel. Check connections carefully as easy to damage/destroy. Regarding rifle shooting, there are no silver bullets, especially in chat forum.

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
Lol. Conservative of mass, momentum and energy. The fluid came from somewhere. If not the tractor, then something else. If not from something else, then the tractor. Sort of has to be one or the other.

Good luck with the move.
We got the mill (2700) pounds and the lathe, metal shear and one of the big toolboxes loaded on the trailer. Everything has been covered with 3 different tarps. I am going to take the truck and trailer for a test drive today. Just to be sure….

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
We got the mill (2700) pounds and the lathe, metal sheer and one of the big toolboxes loaded on the trailer. Everything has been covered with 3 different tarps. I am going to take the truck and trailer for a test drive today. Just to be sure….
Same type of equipment I moved for my Dad back in the late ‘90’s. I think my 7k. GVWR trailer was pushing 10k. Except I only had to move it about 200 miles, over one mountain pass, the snow was mostly gone, but the sanding gravel was still on the road. One turn got a little dicey.

Have a safe trip(s).

Firstgear

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
Kennebunkport, Maine
Same type of equipment I moved for my Dad back in the late ‘90’s. I think my 7k. GVWR trailer was pushing 10k. Except I only had to move it about 200 miles, over one mountain pass, the snow was mostly gone, but the sanding gravel was still on the road. One turn got a little dicey.

Have a safe trip(s).
Thank you. Took it for a test ride today and it will be a slow ride…maybe 55-60 instead of 70-75. I loaded the knee mill first, so there is a lot of weight forward. Nice and easy, no sudden moves!

thank you!