oil leak on b5100

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
I just did a thorough cleanup and renew fluids on my new to me b5100; I took it all apart and painted everything as well. I also replaced all the wiring.

WIth a minor fuel bleed it started right up and I ran it up into the woods; with chains on the rears (turf tires) it did surprisingly well.

But now that its nice and clean, I noticed that oil was seeping out of the bottom of the exhaust manifold. It was from both exhaust ports. WHat might be the cause of this? It starts well but will blow blue smoke if you rev it.

Is this hard to fix?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Hummm. Sounds to me like the exhaust valve guides are shot and you're leaking oil down the stems. Take off the exhaust manifold and look at the runners in the head. If the guides are leaking the runners will be caked with wet carbon deposits that resemble greasy potting soil. If that's your problem it's a sign the machine has likely been overheated. The fix is to remove the head and take it to an engine shop to have new guides fitted and possibly with new valves. It's doable for a backyard wrencher with some experience but it's a fairly involved job.

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
Thanks Stumpy. Do you need a press for the guides? What are the tricky parts.

This has to wait as I have a clutch to do first on the my other machine.
Thats in the shop right now.