OIL Confused (B7200 4WD +Gears)

irish

Equipment
B7200
Jan 18, 2010
Ireland
Hi all. Bought a B7200 4wd with gears 10 days ago -first tactor.
After hours of reading through the forums (or is it fora?) I decided to check the coolant, engine and transmission oils. Engine oil level fine and coolant fine. Transmission oil just barely registers at the very tip of the dip-stick, so it is low, I think. The 3 point link lift and pto appear to work ok. I'm not yet confident enough to do a transmission change and filter change but would love to try out the tractor as soon as possible. I asked a number of "experts" what fluid I should use to top up the transmission, including a guy at my local Kubota agent.

Each one suggested the use of a different oil, including (i)10W30 transmission oil (ii) 80W90gear oil, (iii) Kubota transmission oil, [-which was out of stock in Kubota!] and (iv) any light transmission oil from the local motor store.

Question: As I do not know what oil is in ther at present, which should I use to Top-Up the existing low level and secondly could I damage the transmission if I mix the oils by adding a different one to what is in there already?
Absolutely brilliant Website! Keep her revin'.....

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
A manual should have been included with the tractor. If not, I think that one can be purchased from Kubota. Use whatever the manual recommends.

With the fluid being that low and without an obvious leak the trans oil is probably due for a change.

Messicks website has the information and a manual. They sell both the 80w-90 gear oil and Kubota SUDT (probably for the HST model). However, the gear oil may only be for the front differential. Get the manual first. A call to them to ask may also be an option.

http://www.messicks.com/TractorParts/Kubota/B7200.aspx

The tutorial below indicates that SUDT is used in a B7800. But check first to make sure.

http://www.messicks.com/Articles/B7800-Fluids-Filters.aspx

Last edited:

irish

Equipment
B7200
Jan 18, 2010
Ireland
Thanks RDR. Very heplful.

I think I'm gonna have to get brave and change the fluid rather than risk the "mix."

Vic, A "Lubricants hot button" would be great for novices like me!