Off Road diesel?

fng120

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, grapple, MMM, 60" box blade, pallet forks, 58" LandPride tiller
Jul 7, 2014
NW IN
Hi Guys, I can get off road diesel from the local county co-op for $.50/gal cheaper. Are their any concerns with running this in my new BX2670. First time tractor owner. Thanks Guys in advance for your responses.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope it's the same fuel without the road tax added! Oh and it's red. :D

That's all I use in my equipment.

fng120

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, grapple, MMM, 60" box blade, pallet forks, 58" LandPride tiller
Jul 7, 2014
NW IN
Great, that's what I was hoping to hear. Any time you can save money is good news.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Farm fuel,up here was purple
Or as si robertson says purnurple.

Its only a few cents less up here.
Thinking about a drumfull, maybe can get some through a farmer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Guys, I can get off road diesel from the local county co-op for $.50/gal cheaper. Are their any concerns with running this in my new BX2670. First time tractor owner. Thanks Guys in advance for your responses.

Look at the label on the tank that you buy from, some stuff around here is the off-road with the higher sulfur content, the stuff that takes more $$ to get out for on-road use and makes the cost go up so much. The higher sulfur content is really "good" at lubricating the internals of your engine but makes more pollution too, but your NEW BX is supposed to run on the lower sulfur stuff. I really do not think it will hurt your BX to run the high content sulfur. I run mine on the higher stuff cause that is where I buy my diesel too. I often wonder if the label is "correct" on the holding tank. But there is always guys buying for their older tractors that needs the lubricating qualities.

Mine too is 50 cents cheaper too, other day I bought some around 3.10 Gallon.

Get you one of those funnel filters, cost about 20 bucks and is worth every penny.

I found that an gatoraid bottle (cut the bottom off neatly), those 32 oz plastic bottles works perfect on the BX fuel opening, and the fuel filter fits inside that perfectly. Stands up and stays in the hole!:D

Here is the one that I bought a while back:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF1...878&sr=8-2&keywords=diesel+fuel+funnel+filter

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers just be careful and don't get the cans mixed like a kid did here and filled his diesel truck with RED stuff from the old mans fuel tank,,, He just got coff coff coff confused when he fill up the truck,,, Judge didn't believe him either.. I figure he will be paying that fine until his grand kids are out of collage

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Regardless of the diesel that you choose to use I recommend you consider also adding into each tank-fill a dose of Stanadyne or similar fuel admixture material to increase the diesel's cetane (analogous to 'octane' in gasoline), it's lubricity, and it's low temperature gelling point, especially as we go into winter.

Others on this Forum like other products--there are plenty to choose from--but Stanadyne is the only product endorsed by Bosch that makes virtually all injectors and diesel fuel systems.

Regarding the tank label noted by another poster that one bulk tank has a different sulfur content compared to 'regular' 'required for on-road use' non-farm non-dyed diesel: my bet is it's all the same with the only difference being the off-road farm fuel is dyed for tax accounting purposes. I think it wholly unlikely that the supplying refinery is going to split off a relatively small side-stream of higher sulfur content fuel and manage it completely differently apart from the 'legally required' highway fuel. The sulfur removal process in refining is not trivial. Consider further that even a very small refinery is pushing through a total of more than 2,000,000-gals plus per day of crude oil---and they're in all probablity just not going to manage differently that small high-sulfur split stream.

Please post back your fuel experiences so we may all learn.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Regardless of the diesel that you choose to use I recommend you consider also adding into each tank-fill a dose of Stanadyne or similar fuel admixture material to increase the diesel's cetane (analogous to 'octane' in gasoline), it's lubricity, and it's low temperature gelling point, especially as we go into winter.

Others on this Forum like other products--there are plenty to choose from--but Stanadyne is the only product endorsed by Bosch that makes virtually all injectors and diesel fuel systems.

Regarding the tank label noted by another poster that one bulk tank has a different sulfur content compared to 'regular' 'required for on-road use' non-farm non-dyed diesel: my bet is it's all the same with the only difference being the off-road farm fuel is dyed for tax accounting purposes. I think it wholly unlikely that the supplying refinery is going to split off a relatively small side-stream of higher sulfur content fuel and manage it completely differently apart from the 'legally required' highway fuel. The sulfur removal process in refining is not trivial. Consider further that even a very small refinery is pushing through a total of more than 2,000,000-gals plus per day of crude oil---and they're in all probablity just not going to manage differently that small high-sulfur split stream.

Please post back your fuel experiences so we may all learn.
Here is a great article on the subject, around here you can still get the 500 p/m type.....and you can get the ultra low 15 p/m stuff too.

http://extension.psu.edu/natural-re...arm-program/educational-materials/diesel-fuel

good read from Penn State.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
On road and off road is the same fuel here except for the red dye. Both ultra low sulfur and the off road is around .40 cent cheaper.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Seems like the 500 ppm. fuel was gone in our area around 2006. I know for sure it was gone in 07.
Probably got the low stuff in the tank and they didnt change the signs around here! :D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I thought on one of the other threads was a study that showed an ounce of two cycle oil per gallon was almost as effective as all the other additives for lubricity and stability. Did I read that wrong? I can't find the post now... darn it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The fuel delivery man we had in 07 told me that everything had gone to ULSD. Said it all came from the same tank and when it went for off-road delivery they added red dye to the load. He said they couldn't afford to risk dumping a load of the old 500 ppm diesel in a place that required Ultra low so they simply quit producing any fuel with high sulfer. Our tank still said High Sulfer Dyed Off-Road but it was ULSD just like the stations carried.

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
as i cant tell you with out a doubt that it is what the pump says, i can say i know what diesel used to feel like on your hands and what ULSD fuel feels like on your hands. and the stuff from this pump sure dose feel like the old stuff

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Regardless of what it might be now in the pump, according to the EPA website on Off-Road diesel and allowable Sulfur content, this is the last year that they will allow the high level.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
as i cant tell you with out a doubt that it is what the pump says, i can say i know what diesel used to feel like on your hands and what ULSD fuel feels like on your hands. and the stuff from this pump sure dose feel like the old stuff
When I checked with the local distributor over a year ago, they said it's all ULSD fuel now in this state. Your state may be different, or that's an old sticker.

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
Does anyone get off road diesel delivered in bulk ? If so is there a minimum amount or size tank required ? Is there any financial savings by buying in bulk ?

I am going to be located in north central Florida - Ocala area.

Thanks

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Unless you going to use it fairly quickly don't buy bulk, especially in your parts it will absorb too much water in a length of time! ;)