Oddball things ....

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Normally, I'd like to point the muzzle of a 12 ga shotgun at door-to-door salesmen out selling left-handed waffle turners or trying to save my soul. My soul was in trouble a long time ago, and I'm stingy, so ain't got much time for either beggars or bible thumpers.

But, circa 2011, one came by just at the right time. Our 3rd of 4th vacuum since 2006 had failed and I was getting real tired of replacing them at $200-$300 a pop. This dude shows up with a Rainbow vacuum. Immediately, because of the name alone, I was skeptical and ready to toss this dude of my yet created great front porch with the scratches left by FredEx and poor packaging by BXpanded. The missus says "let 'im in" so I decided to play nice in the sandbox with my very large bludgeon hidden from sight. She still has that effect on me to this day after 15 years of marriage.

The dude gives us his spiel while I'm still waiting for the price. Finally, he coughs up the number, which is $1300 bucks. I almost went spasmo retard on him, then the missus reminded me that we'd lost 4 "good" vacuums in the past 5 years at nearly $300 each, just from normal use in a house full of teenagers. I always get in the last words ("Yes dear"), so we signed up and got the new Rainbow Vacuum cleaner with the Super Deeeeluxe water filtration system and no bags. Wait a minute, this thing actually works! We found we could vacuum the house AFTER dusting and not leave a ton of chewed up carpet fiber or several pounds of teenage girl hair dander everywhere.

Fast forward nearly 10 years to yesterday, and the missus is cleaning out the bedroom of the youngest granddaughter that's been with us since she was 2 months old, getting it ready to repaint the room. That was no small chore, I tell ya. We were begging neighbors with half-full bins to let us use their waste bins. I was doing my shed upgrade thing outside, so was completely oblivious to the catastrophic failure of the Rainbow. She suddenly smelled something similar to a top-fuel dragster doing a burn-out to soften the tires, and came running outside to get me. Yep, belt on the power head is toast. Damn thing didn't last but 10 years. Hang on, that's the VERY first failure on the Rainbow, and by some strange twist of fate, there was a SPARE under the sole plate on the power head. Maybe the dude that sold it to me was actually selling a good product.

On occasion, I get a good stroke of luck that sometimes offsets the usual "Give it up dude" luck that I normally have. This was one of those days. The even better part of the story is, when I looked up the price for a replacement belt on the manufacturer's website, it was less than $3 for a replacement belt. I immediately ordered 2. I NEARLY ordered another water reservoir for it just because the original is stained and the parts were so inexpensive. I won't call 'em cheap, because of the initial purchase price.

Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Rainbow vacuums rate right up there with Kinetico water softeners for value for the money. My Kinetico outlasted the Rainbow, but my mom and sister still have both products running strong.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I grew up with one of those. It was my job to empty the nasty water after my mom was done vacuuming. It was disgusting.
Now I live in the same city (using that term loosely of course) that they're made.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
You're right, what comes outta that thing is absolutely horrifying. It's been bullet proof since we've had it. A few small battle scars, but nothing missing or broken. Very well made equipment. Since nothing ever goes through the fan, it's still got tremendous suction. Bet the missus won't let me use it to pull a vacuum on the LX transmission next time I have to do a filter change, though.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
But did you get a box of those little pine oil balls that you broke in the water to make the house smell pine tree fresh? We had one for years and my mom got rid of it when it became too much for her to move around. Good product.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
But did you get a box of those little pine oil balls that you broke in the water to make the house smell pine tree fresh? We had one for years and my mom got rid of it when it became too much for her to move around. Good product.
I wondered about the weight...and what to do with the dirty water.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I hadn't noticed it being that much heavier than other decent quality vacuums. It holds about a gallon of water, so that's 7.5 lbs. Maybe a little heavier than others, but it rolls, so what's the problem?. The dirty water is mostly from what is brought in from outside. Might as well take it back out and pour it on a compost bed if it isn't new carpet and full of synthetic fiber. We just pour it in the same place all the time, and I pick up any fiber clumps that accumulate and put that in a waste bin. Could probably pour it through a screen or something to get most of the synthetic fiber, but otherwise, it's just muddy water from filtering dust out of the air flow. The beater bar will shake a lot of loose fiber out of new carpet, but eventually, the amount of fiber is not very much. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to flush the water, not with the fiber in it. That's begging for stopped up plumbing.

The missus just uses various scented oils (not even a teaspoon full) each time she changes the water. No beads, no pods, just mineral (baby) oil based aromatics. Helps with cooking odors, etc. Might as well deodorize the air while running the vacuum, right? The Rainbow also has a low speed setting so that it's a lot quieter, and is strictly for air filtration and deodorizing. It'll take a lot of mold/fungus spores and pollen out of the air. It may not be a perfect air filter, but it comes about as close as any HEPA filter. If any particulate gets sucked in, through water, and back out again, not much is going to stop it.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
Had one of those salesman give us the pitch and how long the vacuum will last. So I told him I could just buy one used off of Fleabay for 1/3 the cost and it will still last a long time . He didn't like that answer.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I hadn't noticed it being that much heavier than other decent quality vacuums. It holds about a gallon of water, so that's 7.5 lbs. Maybe a little heavier than others, but it rolls, so what's the problem?. The dirty water is mostly from what is brought in from outside. Might as well take it back out and pour it on a compost bed if it isn't new carpet and full of synthetic fiber. We just pour it in the same place all the time, and I pick up any fiber clumps that accumulate and put that in a waste bin. Could probably pour it through a screen or something to get most of the synthetic fiber, but otherwise, it's just muddy water from filtering dust out of the air flow. The beater bar will shake a lot of loose fiber out of new carpet, but eventually, the amount of fiber is not very much. I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to flush the water, not with the fiber in it. That's begging for stopped up plumbing.

The missus just uses various scented oils (not even a teaspoon full) each time she changes the water. No beads, no pods, just mineral (baby) oil based aromatics. Helps with cooking odors, etc. Might as well deodorize the air while running the vacuum, right? The Rainbow also has a low speed setting so that it's a lot quieter, and is strictly for air filtration and deodorizing. It'll take a lot of mold/fungus spores and pollen out of the air. It may not be a perfect air filter, but it comes about as close as any HEPA filter. If any particulate gets sucked in, through water, and back out again, not much is going to stop it.
Thanks! I like the concept, but lugging one up and down the stairs I have is probably more than I would like. Bad enough with the one I have now.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Had one of those salesman give us the pitch and how long the vacuum will last. So I told him I could just buy one used off of Fleabay for 1/3 the cost and it will still last a long time . He didn't like that answer.
I think retail on the Rainbow at the time was something like $2200 or more, but we got in on a promo-thing of some sort, and got it for just over half price. While I was very skeptical, it has performed as advertised and has been trouble free. Online shopping when we bought this wasn't what it is today. Back then, it was a great way to lose a lot of money because credit card companies hadn't quite adjusted to the markets yet with protections and alternatives for the cardholders. There are a lot more checks and balances on detecting fraudulent purchases by the credit card companies, and I do my best to only use reputable online shopping services. Otherwise, I show up in person to get what I want.

Oh, and I NEVER use a debit card online. Credit Card only. It's a lot easier to stop a payment than it is to get money back that was taken out of an account immediately.

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks! I like the concept, but lugging one up and down the stairs I have is probably more than I would like. Bad enough with the one I have now.
It had a hose that would reach the top of the stairs but it never made it upstairs at our house. Maybe if you could fill/ empty it up there but in my youth I would have dumped it down the stairs and not been able to sit for a couple weeks

Reactions: 1 user