Nylon protective sleeve

Semo

Equipment
KX 033-4 Exmark EFI 60"
Apr 3, 2022
S.E. Louisiana
I need to install 2 new hydraulic hoses on the thumb cylinder of my kx033 excavator. The hoses measure .80 in. dia. and I'm not sure how to size the nylon protective sleeve I'd like to install. I'm assuming a snug fit would be desirable as long as it slips over hose without too much effort. Would appreciate suggestions as far as sizing and some on line sources for purchase. NAPA does not carry them in my area, and tractor supply has been closed for almost 3 weeks. Local searching is wearing me out.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I need to install 2 new hydraulic hoses on the thumb cylinder of my kx033 excavator. The hoses measure .80 in. dia. and I'm not sure how to size the nylon protective sleeve I'd like to install. I'm assuming a snug fit would be desirable as long as it slips over hose without too much effort. Would appreciate suggestions as far as sizing and some on line sources for purchase. NAPA does not carry them in my area, and tractor supply has been closed for almost 3 weeks. Local searching is wearing me out.
One or two hoses in the sleeve?

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Two hoses chafing together, in a common sleeve?
That would seem to be self defeating.
Not açcording to lots of OEMs including Kubota. Loader hoses on my new L3901 are installed that way. - two boom hoses in one sleeve and two bucket hoses in another. Its a pretty standard way of keeping things dressed neatly and organized. In fact organization is the main reason I use them. Good quality hydrauluc hose is MSHA abrasion rated for mine service and two rubbing together is not going to be an issue.

Dan

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Two hoses in a sleeve is just fine...

We sell this product, its easier to install then the regular style. We have a sizing suggestion chart on the website too.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Two hoses in a sleeve is just fine...

We sell this product, its easier to install then the regular style. We have a sizing suggestion chart on the website too.

@Kennyd4110 sells a lot of other great things too….😉

Definitely worth exploring his website and a bookmark too.

Just a suggestion from a happy customer…. ;)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Two hoses chafing together, in a common sleeve?
That would seem to be self defeating.
My understanding is that the sleeves are to protect from highly pressurized oil spray. Not necessarily to protect the hoses.

Reactions: 1 users

Torinodan

Equipment
T1600 X2, G4200, G5200, Ford 2810
Oct 14, 2021
Fayetteville GA
My understanding is that the sleeves are to protect from highly pressurized oil spray. Not necessarily to protect the hoses.
This was my #1 understanding as well. Had a line blow on a zero turn and this helped control the high pressure release. Seen it

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This is correct. High-pressure hydraulic oil will penetrate the skin and cause tissue damage that is extremely difficult and sometimes impossible to treat. That is why manufacturers are now wrapping hoses with protective sleeves to eliminate the risk to the user. It is for this very reason that when I see a rubber coating on a hydraulic hose starting to crack I replace it with new. Failure to do so would put my life in jeopardy if it were to break and spray me with hot hydraulic oil. As you get older the more conscious you become of possible danger that could end your life prematurely.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thats not how the manufacturers descrIbe it. Its primary purpose is abrasion protection, UV protection, and hose, wire, cable management. Burst protection seems to be an afterthought.

A typical OEM sell sheet:

Standard Sleeve Features and Benefits:
  • Protects against physical abrasion, damage and deterioration
  • Meets ISO 6945 abrasion standards
  • Provides limits burst and containment protection
  • Extremely durable and flexible Nylon
  • Guaranteed to fit your specific application
  • Multiple round ID width available
Protective Sleeving Product Highlights:
  • Solution Dyed Nylon
  • MSHA IC 171/1
  • UV Protected
  • Colors: black
  • Inside Width: 1.00" - 9,125"
  • Sizes Measured in Round ID: 0.71" - 5.76"
  • Rolled / Printed
Applications:
  1. Protects hose from abrasion and degradation
  2. Offers limited protection from the effects of hose bursting and pinhole occurrences
  3. Allows bundling of hose, cable, rope, chain, wire, etc.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
You're going to want the ID of the sleeve to be larger than the crimped on fittings of the hose, not the OD of the hose itself.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Thats not how the manufacturers descrIbe it. Its primary purpose is abrasion protection, UV protection, and hose, wire, cable management. Burst protection seems to be an afterthought.

A typical OEM sell sheet:

Standard Sleeve Features and Benefits:
  • Protects against physical abrasion, damage and deterioration
  • Meets ISO 6945 abrasion standards
  • Provides limits burst and containment protection
  • Extremely durable and flexible Nylon
  • Guaranteed to fit your specific application
  • Multiple round ID width available
Protective Sleeving Product Highlights:
  • Solution Dyed Nylon
  • MSHA IC 171/1
  • UV Protected
  • Colors: black
  • Inside Width: 1.00" - 9,125"
  • Sizes Measured in Round ID: 0.71" - 5.76"
  • Rolled / Printed
Applications:
  1. Protects hose from abrasion and degradation
  2. Offers limited protection from the effects of hose bursting and pinhole occurrences
  3. Allows bundling of hose, cable, rope, chain, wire, etc.

Learn something every day.
There are some that do, and some that don't protect against injury from oil spray.
Screenshot_20240423_064717_Chrome.jpg

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Learn something every day.
There are some that do, and some that don't protect against injury from oil spray.
View attachment 126853
I thought we were talking about the flimsy NPS everybody uses on these little Harry Homeowner tractors not high dollar hose armor for excavators. Two very different markets and products.

Dan

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I thought we were talking about the flimsy NPS everybody uses on these little Harry Homeowner tractors not high dollar hose armor for excavators. Two very different markets and products.

Dan
And I thought both products protected against injury to the operator.
I don't know what the OP wants. I do know that I wish I had known the differences in the sleeve material and what each specifically was intended for. Its not much to go with one that protects from ruptures. At only $0.30 more per foot, I would have gone with the burst rated sleeve on the grapple.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
And I thought both products protected against injury to the operator.
I don't know what the OP wants. I do know that I wish I had known the differences in the sleeve material and what each specifically was intended for. Its not much to go with one that protects from ruptures. At only $0.30 more per foot, I would have gone with the burst rated sleeve on the grapple.
At .30/ft I suspect that "rating" is in the mind of the seller.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This is correct. High-pressure hydraulic oil will penetrate the skin and cause tissue damage that is extremely difficult and sometimes impossible to treat. That is why manufacturers are now wrapping hoses with protective sleeves to eliminate the risk to the user. It is for this very reason that when I see a rubber coating on a hydraulic hose starting to crack I replace it with new. Failure to do so would put my life in jeopardy if it were to break and spray me with hot hydraulic oil. As you get older the more conscious you become of possible danger that could end your life prematurely.
"As you get older" ?? :giggle:
When you ARE older,.....maybe not so much??;)