Note to Self…

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
For those of you needing a chuckle, I give you the result of neglecting to reinstall the pressure relief valve before cycling the hydraulics.

In case your wondering, the fluid does shoot pretty far.
IMG_0864.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

frmraysd70

Equipment
ZD326P-60-Diesel
Jul 17, 2023
Johnston county, North Carolina
For those of you needing a chuckle, I give you the result of neglecting to reinstall the pressure relief valve before cycling the hydraulics.

In case your wondering, the fluid does shoot pretty far.
View attachment 108556
Look on the bright side I'm sure others believe the same way I do, but I think it takes one heckava guy to be able to make a mistake take pictures so he can share it so others may smile or laugh. Maybe brighten someone's otherwise gloomy day. I'm new and first time I've seen you post . But your sure alright in my book bluedunn . Thanks

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It's amazing how such a little amount of oil can make such a huge mess.

At my first job as a "Mechanic" (aka "oil change kid") I forgot to put the drain plug in a car, and I pumped 5 quarts of oil in it.....

I checked the stick and saw nothing, so I figured it must be a 6 quart system (kinda rare back then).....

I proceeded to pumped another quart in.....then I heard a tinkling sound, and saw a massive puddle flowing out from under the car.....

It took like 5 of those 40 lbs bags of "speedy dry" to clean that one up.o_O

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

At my first job as a "Mechanic" (aka "oil change kid") I forgot to put the drain plug in a car, and I pumped 5 quarts of oil in it.....

I checked the stick and saw nothing, so I figured it must be a 6 quart system (kinda rare back then).....

I proceeded to pumped another quart in.....then I heard a tinkling sound, and saw a massive puddle flowing out from under the car.....

My neighbor, who was an FAA air carrier inspector, did the same thing to his car.
Fear not: Your FAA is always on top of things!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was at a tire shop and a fellow was draining his oil and the shop owner was "teaching him. Unfortunately, he removed the wrong plug and drained the transmission. He then went under the hood and proceeded to put 6 quarts of oil into the engine as the transmission fluid was now overflowing the drain pan and running out from under the car. The owner of the shop then came back into the bay and saw the mess. It wasn't pretty words that were spewing from his mouth. When he learned that the fellow put 6 quarts into the engine put the whole mess over the top and he told the person he wasn't qualified to do his own oil changes and to go sit down in the waiting room and they would bring his car out when it was completed. The moral of the story is don't let friends use your tire shop to do oil changes.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
At 14 I drained the oil in Mom's car and forgot the plug. She gave me cash and told me to start walking to buy 5 quarts of oil. The 8 mile round trip walk took me the better part of the day.
Lesson learned . Always have a second car !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Truck maintenance shop where I worked at had a pipeline system with a metering head that automatically shut off the oil when it hit the preset amount. Guy in the dyno room set it and clocked out for the shift. Well, you know where this is going. It didn’t shut off and a mechanic noticed the oil coming out under the door. There was about three inches of oil built up on the floor. He plastic tied wooden blocks to his work boots to reach the head and turned it off. Wasn’t around the next day to see how they cleaned it up

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

A common mistake with "Junior" mechanics I've seen in my shop.

The drain plug is a square plug. The vent/ fill plug is the same size square with a hole in it.

The junior mechanic will put the vent plug where the drain plug goes.

Fill it up with oil and will have the oil drain from the vent hole.

They all say the same thing as well "Why is it leaking from there????"

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

I'll just shake my head and say "God dammed junior mechanics!!!!!!!" 😂🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Ha - great stories here.

Clean-up has started; thankfully we have (well, had) a ton of cat litter. Most of the oil is now absorbed - time to move onto the refill (after checking to make sure all plugs are in).