Not orange, but tractors y'all might appreciate

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Last month I used the water taxi service into Abel Tasman National Park in New Zealand. The operation was pretty cool:
First they load you all into the boat while it's on the trailer, in the parking lot.
IMG_6347.JPG

They drive it down to the shore, then if it's low tide out across the sand as much as several hundred yards (the tide has swing of almost 20' some days), swing around and back up into enough water to float the boat:
IMG_6351.JPG

They have a whole fleet of these old Fords, all in pristine condition considering they get driven into the ocean every day!
IMG_6350.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Whoa! What are they doing to mitigate corrosion?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Last month I used the water taxi service into Abel Tasman National Park in New Zealand. The operation was pretty cool:
First they load you all into the boat while it's on the trailer, in the parking lot.
View attachment 126544
They drive it down to the shore, then if it's low tide out across the sand as much as several hundred yards (the tide has swing of almost 20' some days), swing around and back up into enough water to float the boat:
View attachment 126545

They have a whole fleet of these old Fords, all in pristine condition considering they get driven into the ocean every day!
View attachment 126546
They must tear each of those Fords down, each year, to keep 'em from being eaten alive by the salt water.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
We operated (aluminum) sea-planes in/out of Westwego, LA back in the early ‘70s…. operating from brackish inshore to salt-water offshore before helicopters became more prominent in that off-shore industry.

At each “haul-out” (i.e., each return-trip they powered-up boat ramps out of the canal)….they were power-washed with fresh water, followed by WD40/fresh-water “emulsion”…. (the pressure washer was set to “chemical/soap” dispenser with the pick-up-tube in a drum of WD40…which mixed it in the pump with fresh-water)… which was sprayed both exterior and inside the fuselage and thru inspection ports all over the airframe.

Each evening the engine cowls were removed and a SToddard-solvent wash-down and inspection was performed.

Those airplanes were late ‘40’s thru early ‘60s and were in near-new condition …(but had seriously expensive maintenance programs with extensive unit-replacement schedules.) I’ll bet those Fords are washed down repeatedly. (and demonstrate how important/protective PAINT is.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
We operated (aluminum) sea-planes in/out of Westwego, LA back in the early ‘70s…. operating from brackish inshore to salt-water offshore before helicopters became more prominent in that off-shore industry.

At each “haul-out” (i.e., each return-trip they powered-up boat ramps out of the canal)….they were power-washed with fresh water, followed by WD40/fresh-water “emulsion”…. (the pressure washer was set to “chemical/soap” dispenser with the pick-up-tube in a drum of WD40…which mixed it in the pump with fresh-water)… which was sprayed both exterior and inside the fuselage and thru inspection ports all over the airframe.

Each evening the engine cowls were removed and a SToddard-solvent wash-down and inspection was performed.

Those airplanes were late ‘40’s thru early ‘60s and were in near-new condition …(but had seriously expensive maintenance programs with extensive unit-replacement schedules.) I’ll bet those Fords are washed down repeatedly.
At a minimum I would think daily rinsing, but there are so many crevices where salt water could get in, and crevice corrosion is a real problem. I was wondering if they have gone above and beyond in some clever way to reduce the problem.

There are tractors rotting away on beaches in England. These tractors are used to pull fishing boats out of the water and they do not fare well.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm FIVE pristine tractors ! NICE.....
First idea is that all of them have been properly painted in epoxy or urethane paints.
That goes a long way to reducing the salt problems.

2nd , for sure weekly rinses, maybe daily ?

I've got 6 winters of driving my BX23S on salty roads here in Ontario, and no signs of corrosion by salt. Maybe rinsed 2-3 times a Winter....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
First idea is that all of them have been properly painted in epoxy or urethane paints.

I've got 6 winters of driving my BX23S on salty roads here in Ontario, and no signs of corrosion by salt. Maybe rinsed 2-3 times a Winter....
BIG difference, between occasionally salted roads, and daily immersion in salt water.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

The rate of corrosion is a function of temperature among other things, and the colder it is the lower the current. If it's cold enough and the salt solution has frozen there will be no corrosion since the ions that carry current in the electrolyte have zero mobility.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are those OEM fenders..?? I don’t think so… Maybe made out of SS…

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
well, my tractor gets stored in a nice 55*F warm garage after spending hours pushing very, very salty snow for 8 neighbours. I 'know' the salt content is HIGH from the 'salt stripes' on the garage floor.
Be nice to know where those Fords are, contact the owner, see what they do.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I asked this morning...
..got this tonight...

Hey there Jay

Mate it does take a bit of work keeping our 20 Fords on the road. A decent fresh water hose down at the end of the day and a weekly service packing the 15 odd grease nipples with marine grease. A lot of these nipples we have added ourselves. We pressurise the inside with a pipe off the exhaust just to discourage the saltwater getting in and we have a valve to regularly drain the bell housing. All this helps but they do live a tough old life and every 3-4 years we strip them back , crack them open, do what needs to be done , sand blast them and give them a bloody good paint job. Then they look like they just rolled off the showroom floor in 1972! for a while..... So yeah, not easy

cheers mate, Spencer

Abel Tasman AquaTaxi
Marahau
RD2 Motueka
NEW ZEALAND

see, it never hurts to ask !!!

Reactions: 1 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
that is a heckuva maintenance schedule! Thanks for asking and sharing. I didn't have time to chat them up when I was there.