Noise after clutch replacement B7100

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Just replaced the pressure plate, friction plate and throw out bearing but am getting some rattling/spinning noises from my clutch on disengagement.

At times it is catching when I change gears.

I thought it was a clutch travel adjustment issue and have adjusted settings several times; this works for a little while then the problem returns.

I split the tractor again expecting the worst but everything looks ok

There did seem to be some fresh wear evident on the the shaft spline

Especially considering I had only run it for maybe 2 hours since rebuild.

However the friction plate still slides along the shaft spline just fine and there are no burrs.

The spline was a liitle dry when I took it out

I put a bit more grease on the pilot bearing and also on the shaft spline and the friction plate spline . I have retightened the flywheel and will realign the plates with the flywheel.

When I installed the new clutch I was pretty careful to line up the discs with the flywheel using the protruding shaft as the alignment tool.

Anyone got ideas on likely cause.

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Thanks Vic,
there did seem to be a bit of wear on the the face of the new throw out bearing and the noise certainly has that quality you desccribed.

I did have the the flywheel machined and also replaced the broken pilot bearing seal however the bearing itself "looked" ok and was not easy to extract so I greased it slightly and left it in ( mistake?).

I'll also check for movement in transmmision case front bearing.

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
There is a drive shaft ball coupling just in front of the transmision case. I noticed it when I first got troubles but it looked ok, but very dry. I gave it a spray of WD40 at the time.

On closer inspection today I noticed that the inner ball retaining washer has been pushed out and is bulging half over the circlip. Not easy to tell from under the tractor the extent of normal and unacceptable movement.

In addition, the shaft/ coupling retaining pin, at the rear end of the coupling was missing.

From what Vic said this may be contributing to suspect shaft wobble and hang up of the throw out bearing.

Anyway I am taking the shaft and coupling out, (after I remove the bearing holder and clutch fork) so I can look at it more closely.

Lubrication of this coupling is not mentioned in the maintainence schedule.

How does this sound

PS Front bearing in transmission case "seemed" ok