No one ever warned me about this side effect of buying a boat!

ob1jeeper

Equipment
L3240, loader, backhoe, forks, gannon
Mar 25, 2018
Wickenburg, Arizona USA
Don’t know anything about boats, but guessing my prospective SIL is “angling” for a larger fishing boat.

He just bought a Ford F-350 diesel dually to haul one…..😉. I can see that next step…

This is his current one. Has a slip Santa Cruz, California, and he takes it out quite a way into the Pacific.

View attachment 123317
LOVE the Parkers... Solid boats for sure... ;)

Reactions: 1 user

acruxksa

Equipment
LX2610, lx2963, bb2572
Jan 15, 2024
Anchorage, Alaska
I got a 13ft lund skiff with a 15hp Evinrude outboard for my 12th birthday, commercial fished with my father on two of his boats until I was 17, then spent the last 37 years working on ships. 16yrs actually at sea.....

I can confidently say that the best boat you'll ever have belongs to a friend. ;)

• Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I got a 13ft lund skiff with a 15hp Evinrude outboard for my 12th birthday, commercial fished with my father on two of his boats until I was 17, then spent the last 37 years working on ships. 16yrs actually at sea.....

I can confidently say that the best boat you'll ever have belongs to a friend. ;)
If it "belongs to a friend" it's not "the best boat you'll ever have" is it. :LOL:

It's quite amusing all of the quips about boats and I have a theory as to why most are negative. We all know people who are constantly looking for the next great thing whether it's a car, truck, boat, 4-wheeler, house or whatever. Those types have a short attention span and are easily bored by their latest toy du jour. I know quite a few people like that who in order to validate their short-lived interest in something, have to convince themselves that the toy was the problem and not them.

This behavior is probably learned during childhood where the kid gets toy after toy after toy from parents who'll do anything to keep them quiet, if only for a few minutes. Those kids will discard a toy but then want it back when another kid is happily playing with it and enjoying it. Rather than enjoy what they have, they're always looking for the next thrill.

I think Sheryl Crow sang it well .... "it's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your description of wanting something ELSE is not all bad. That's how you find a nice boat with low hours/wear at a nice price!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Your description of wanting something ELSE is not all bad. That's how you find a nice boat with low hours/wear at a nice price!
I wasn't talking about me! :LOL: I was considering a boat seven or eight years ago after really enjoying being on the lake in other people's boats, but a coworker who is exactly the type I described above, convinced me against it. He did me a disservice since I missed out on many summers on the lake, but I held him in high regard and figured he knew what he was talking about. All he was really doing was telling me what he thought was best for him, and I think he didn't want to see me enjoying something that he got into and out of very quickly, for the reasons I mentioned above.

I tend to be extremely loyal to my "toys du jour" and don't typically get into something only to get out of it a short time later. I tend to get into something in a small way and then get more involved and invested as I learn about whatever it is. I've had my '98 Jeep TJ for close to 25 years and will have it for another 25 if all goes well. I bought it after renting a Jeep in Hawaii to go on an off-roading trip with a good friend. The experience, although highly stressful, got me interested in the hobby. Twenty five years later and all manner of upgrades later I'm still enjoying the Jeep. My trend is to go deeper down the rabbit hole rather than go looking for a different hole.

So for anyone who wants to make a quip about "the best day and worst day", or "if it flys, floats or f's then you should rent it" etc., you're wasting your breath. I'm determined to enjoy my journey with this boat for as long as possible.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I think most "new to boating" people have a grossly overestimated idea of how much "fun" it is and how "leisurely" it's going to be.

They have no idea of how much work/frustration/money/preparation is involved when you talk about boats.

All they see in their minds eye, is the laying around, sunning themselves on a beautiful 78-80 degree day with no one else around, enjoying the peace and quiet, an adult beverage in one hand with the kids happily "frolicking" in the water near by.

Then they get to the ramp on day one and "Mr. Murphy and his big brother Reality" give them a swift kick in the junk.

Here is how the first day goes around here....

The line for the "put in" ramps are Butt to Nut packed - 1/4 mile long, of anxious, angry, family's that all want to get out NOW!!!! ....Then the first 5 "new guys" take 25 minutes each, to back up their shitty little 15 foot wreck, a whopping 30 F'ing feet. Then one guy forgets to untie his boat from the trailer, then he takes another 25 minutes to pull out and re-back up.

They finally get the boat in the water and have no idea how to properly tie off the boat, so mom has a "fun time" of holding on to the ramp, the boat, 2 kids and a dog, while dad parks the trailer, then forgets the boat keys and has to RUN back to get them, causing people to get even more pissed off, so they start backing in their boat before dad even gets the motor warmed up. Then it takes 5 more minutes to get old "chitty chitty bang bang" started, as dad is cursing the Gods and mom polishes off beer 2.

Then he backs out of the ramp, completely oblivious to the fact that maneuvering a boat is NOTHING like a car, and proceeds to smash the dock, 2 buoys, and a sea wall, then "rub up" against every boat in sight.

Then they get out on the water, kids are crying, mom is still cursing out the "asshole" that was putting his boat in while they were still at the dock, "squeezing them". (because he has been waiting 20 minutes for them to "figure things out")

Now the water is 'asshole to elbow' people because it's the 1st sunny day in 3 Months( Michigan). The jet skiers are racing around at 70 mph, only 30 feet from the swimming kids, so mom is on her 4th beer, flipping off the jet skiers, and screaming at them "SLOW DOWN YOU ASSHOLE!!!!!"

Then dad remembers that he "forgot" to put the bottom plug in the boat so they are taking on water, as mom downs her 5th beer and starts bailing with her hat ....Dad finally finds a "plug" and stops the incoming water...mostly.... and it's only 0930.

Then a little later, the breeze stops blowing, the sun cranks the temp up to what feels like 900 degrees and the biting bugs start coming out as moms beer count approach's double digits, and everyone forgets to put sunscreen on their pasty white hides (which are now a bright beautiful reddish color)

Mom starts drinking dads beer (cause she didn't pack enough) as he reaches for the "chitty chitty bang bangs" key that he left on to hear the radio, and as he twists the key....nothing.

They finally get a jump from 3 Trolls that look like they belong on "Americas Most Wanted", and its off to the docks. It takes dad another 35 minutes to back in the trailer and figure out how to load the boat as the wind picks up blowing the bow every which way as mom leans out to grab the dock and dad is yelling unintelligible directions to his clueless, drunk, sunburnt crew.....

This happens many times over until they sell the boat.....broke, haggard, and pissed off.......

Hahahahah.....my buddy owns a Marina, and my family has had boats ever since I can remember....... I have seen it ALL. (well most anyway).....

My theory is that: Typically the new'ish owner is ill prepared and does not realize that being out on the water and enjoying yourself takes, lots of boat/trailer handling practice, lots of preparation, lots of organization, some patience, and good timing.

Just sayin.....

Last edited:
  • Haha

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
All I'm saying is those folks (who sell items with little use) are where you find bargains!
Absolutely! Some of these tractors I see for sale have less than 100 hours on them and they might be four or five years old. Let someone else take the depreciation hit.

Talking of boats, I can't believe how much some of them cost. I see boats up here on the lake that cost $200k to $300k which is mind boggling to me. The boats are nice but not that nice!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think most "new to boating" people have a grossly overestimated idea of how much "fun" it is and how "leisurely" it's going to be.

They have no idea of how much work/frustration/money/preparation is involved when you talk about boats.

All they see in their minds eye, is the laying around, sunning themselves on a beautiful 78-80 degree day with no one else around, enjoying the peace and quiet, an adult beverage in one hand with the kids happily "frolicking" in the water near by.

Then they get to the ramp on day one and "Mr. Murphy and his big brother Reality" give them a swift kick in the junk.

The line for the "put in" ramps are Butt to Nut packed - 1/4 mile long, of anxious, angry, family's that all want to get out NOW!!!! ....Then the first 5 "new guys" take 25 minutes each, to back up their shitty little 15 foot wreck, a whopping 30 F'ing feet. Then one guy forgets to untie his boat from the trailer, then he takes another 25 minutes to pull out and re-back up.

They finally get the boat in the water and have no idea how to properly tie off the boat, so mom has a "fun time" of holding on to the ramp, the boat, 2 kids and a dog, while dad parks the trailer, then forgets the boat keys and has to RUN back to get them, causing people to get even more pissed off, so they start backing in their boat before dad even gets the motor warmed up. Then it takes 5 more minutes to get old "chitty chitty bang" started, as dad is cursing the Gods and mom polishes off beer 2.

Then he backs out of the ramp, completely oblivious to the fact that maneuvering a boat is NOTHING like a car, and proceeds to smash the dock, 2 buoys, and a sea wall, then "rub up" against every boat in sight.

Then they get out on the water, kids are crying, mom is still cursing out the "asshole" that was putting his boat in while they were still at the dock, "squeezing them". (because he has been waiting 20 minutes for them to "figure things out")

Now the water is 'asshole to elbow' people because it's the 1st sunny day in 3 Months( Michigan). The jet skiers are racing around at 70 mph, only 30 feet from the swimming kids, so mom is on her 4th beer, flipping off the jet skiers, and screaming at them "SLOW DOWN YOU ASSHOLE!!!!!"

Then dad remembers that he "forgot" to put the bottom plug in the boat so they are taking on water, as mom downs her 5th beer and starts bailing with her hat ....Dad finally finds a "plug" and stops the incoming water...mostly.... and it's only 0930.

Then a little later, the breeze stops blowing, the sun cranks the temp up to what feels like 900 degrees and the biting bugs start coming out as moms beer count approach's double digits, and everyone forgets to put sunscreen on their pasty white hides (which are now a bright beautiful reddish color)

Mom starts drinking dads beer (cause she didn't pack enough) as he reaches for the "chitty chitty bang bangs" key that he left on to hear the radio, and as he twists the key....nothing.

They finally get a jump from 3 Trolls that look like they belong on "Americas Most Wanted", and its off to the docks. It takes dad another 35 minutes to back in the trailer and figure out how to load the boat as the wind picks up blowing the bow every which way as mom leans out to garb the dock and dad is yelling unintelligible directions to his clueless, drunk, sunburnt crew.....

This happens many times over until they sell the boat.....broke, haggard, and pissed off.......

Hahahahah.....my buddy owns a Marina, and my family has had boats ever since I can remember....... I have seen it ALL. (well most anyway).....

My theory is that: Typically the new'ish owner is ill prepared and does not realize that being out on the water and enjoying yourself takes, lots of boat/trailer handling practice, lots of preparation, lots of organization, some patience, and good timing.

Just sayin.....
That's one of the funniest posts I've ever read on this forum and so true. :LOL: I had to read it twice! Luckily, I have a friend with a boat ramp at his place so don't have to deal with the typical boat ramp $hit show.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

They finally get the boat in the water and have no idea how to properly tie off the boat, so mom has a "fun time" of holding on to the ramp, the boat, 2 kids and a dog, while dad parks the trailer, then forgets the boat keys and has to RUN back to get them, causing people to get even more pissed off, so they start backing in their boat before dad even gets the motor warmed up. Then it takes 5 more minutes to get old "chitty chitty bang" started, as dad is cursing the Gods and mom polishes off beer 2.

They finally get a jump from 3 Trolls that look like they belong on "Americas Most Wanted", and its off to the docks. It takes dad another 35 minutes to back in the trailer and figure out how to load the boat as the wind picks up blowing the bow every which way as mom leans out to garb the dock and dad is yelling unintelligible directions to his clueless, drunk, sunburnt crew.....

Just sayin.....
OK ... I lied. I read your post three times! You could write a book! :LOL: That really is some funny $hit there. You would have an entirely different experience on Flathead Lake. It's a big, deep lake with lots of room and lots of access points and it never feels remotely crowded. I've been out there for hours with barely a boat in sight and that's in the middle of the summer.

Your point about people tearing around on the water is well taken though. My friend is on the river about 2 miles north of the lake, and he has issues with people that sit off his dock blasting music. He has ways to make them move along though ...

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
OK ... I lied. I read your post three times! You could write a book! :LOL: That really is some funny $hit there. You would have an entirely different experience on Flathead Lake. It's a big, deep lake with lots of room and lots of access points and it never feels remotely crowded. I've been out there for hours with barely a boat in sight and that's in the middle of the summer.

Your point about people tearing around on the water is well taken though. My friend is on the river about 2 miles north of the lake, and he has issues with people that sit off his dock blasting music. He has ways to make them move along though ...
Flathead sounds like the lakes near my cottage, and the lack of people is/was a huge factor in our decision to buy where we did.

But my above story is a very typical experience near my house; and for many people it is how their entire "boating life" is spent.

True Story:

Last year I was coming in from fishing and a car/trailer combo had pulled in just before me.

Well this guy and his wife/daughter are trying to back in this little skiff.

OMG.....luckily I had a sammich and a pop left in the cooler cause I sat there for literally 55 minutes.

I even backed away from the dock and pretended to fish, so I could watch him with my binoculars.

He would back in ever so sloooowly, then all of a sudden, jack knife the rig.....Pull back out, then start backing it in....BAM...jack knife.....His daughter would shout directions and begin waving him in like he was making a carrier landing.....Bam.....jack knife....Pull back out.....get out and talk to her....Then more flagging and pointing....Bam...jack knife........

One time he had it about half way in the water, then the "mysterious jack knife" move appeared again.

I was cracking up.....

After 30 minutes of trying, he finally stabs it in.

Then tries to undo the boat from the trailer and realizes that he forgot to remove the rear tie down points from boat to the trailer...

That was it for me....I was quite literally ROTHLMFAO.......Then I saw him "look around" to see if anyone was watching and he dove in the water to releases the straps instead of having to pull it out and re-back it in....Took about 6 dives to get it....Literally, I was having a hard time breathing I was laughing so hard.

Having fun at other peoples expense..... Priceless........Good times..... (y) 😂

• Haha

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I purchased a really nice 17' Sylvan fishing boat last spring. I think I have had it out a handful of times even though I am a fishing nut. I just have too much to do around the house and working on starting a business as well. Planning to trade the boat off for a 20' trailer soon so I can haul the tractor around. Invested 4*k in that boat a year ago and will probably lose a few grand selling it this spring....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
got to talking about boats yesterday, this morning at 0400 when I got up and fed the animals, I walked past my little jon boat and thought, ya know, today'd be a good day to go fishing.

Got to the ramp at 0800, fished til 1600. Got a lil tan, and some sunburn. I hate sunburn but I'm fair skinned and I get them no matter how much SPF70 I put on.

Ended up bringing home a limit of crappie, almost all of them pretty small (10" give or take) and one was 13". Nothing worth taking pics of. Cleaned em and tossed a bunch in the freezer. Left 4 of em out, gave them a bath in hot oil and added some mashed taters, green beans, great northern beans, cornbread.

Had a paying customer with me, knew nothing about fishing. He learned pretty quickly but was ready to go back to the ramp by noon. I think he was getting a little seasick. Didn't seem to bother him for a lot of the morning. We moved to another spot on the lake and started getting into the LM bass, fun but not worth keeping. He asked me how deep we were fishing, I told him about 18 foot, sitting in 77 feet of water. I could tell he was getting uncomfortable knowing it was 77 feet deep right there, but I didn't tell him it was well over 100 foot where we were at before. Sometimes I think people are odd, but then I have to remind myself that we are all different. When I was young, the Missouri river was HUGE and DEEP--all 8-15 foot deep. If it's over my head, it's deep. Moved here, started fishin on my own and found a few spots that were 140-150 FOW. After while you get used to it. Fished offshore a few years back, 610', still relatively shallow but we caught fish and lots of them. I didn't realize how much DIFFERENT offshore fishing is than fishing in the little lake here. Biggest thing is that you have no reference, the sun and moon and that's IT. On the lake you have land in all directions, only a few spots does it start to get "big", but you can still see the hills. I got a little queezy offshore because there's no reference. Thank goodness for Bonine.
This is 15 min from my house, you buddy would have passed out!

Aside from the lake there is also about 50 miles of navigable rivers that connect to it.

Lake Pend Oreille (Lake Ponderay) is Idaho’s biggest, at 43 miles long with 111 miles of shoreline. It’s also the deepest (at 1,158 feet deep, there are only four deeper lakes in the nation) with an Average depth of 466ft. Dug out by Ice Age glaciers and located amid three major frontal ranges of the northern Rocky Mountains, it has natural splendor galore to go with a fascinating human and natural history.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Flathead lake which is in mcmxi backyard, or is it front yard?

Flathead Lake has a maximum depth of 370.7 ft (113.0 m),[1] and an average of 164.7 ft (50.2 m). Flathead Lake is in a scenic part of Montana, 30 miles (48 km) southwest of Glacier National Park and is flanked by two scenic highways, which wind along its curving shoreline. On It is one of the cleanest lakes in the populated world for its size and type.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Flathead lake which is in mcmxi backyard, or is it front yard?

Flathead Lake has a maximum depth of 370.7 ft (113.0 m),[1] and an average of 164.7 ft (50.2 m). Flathead Lake is in a scenic part of Montana, 30 miles (48 km) southwest of Glacier National Park and is flanked by two scenic highways, which wind along its curving shoreline. On It is one of the cleanest lakes in the populated world for its size and type.
I'm 15 minutes from the North end of Flathead Lake i.e. Somers. My friend's place where I cut his fields and where I launch the boat is about 2 miles north of the lake on the Flathead River. It is a gorgeous lake but so is your Lake Pend Oreille and I plan to enjoy your lake this summer. I'll have to pick your brain as to where to put in, where to go etc.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm 15 minutes from the North end of Flathead Lake i.e. Somers. My friend's place where I cut his fields and where I launch the boat is about 2 miles north of the lake on the Flathead River. It is a gorgeous lake but so is your Lake Pend Oreille and I plan to enjoy your lake this summer. I'll have to pick your brain as to where to put in, where to go etc.
Oh we'll hook you up.
If we get the trawler running or the cabin cruiser or someone else's ride we'll join you on the water!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's one of the funniest posts I've ever read on this forum and so true. :LOL: I had to read it twice! Luckily, I have a friend with a boat ramp at his place so don't have to deal with the typical boat ramp $hit show.
Ramp follies were always one of may favorite forms of entertainment at the lake. I'd sit just far enough from the dock to be able to see the spectacle...but not get wrapped up into it. Hours of free comedy...all while getting a tan.

I can remember one "cool dude" with a lifted truck blaring music pulling out his brand new boat (he forgot to lift the outboard motor). Others tried yelling at him to stop, but he either didn't hear (blaring music, loud exhaust) or didn't care what others were telling him. Pretty sure it was the latter. He pulled that thing all the way down to the end of the lot at 20+ mph to the "tie down area" just past me (I was tying down mine to the trailer). I'm betting he lost at least 3" off the skeg. When he finally saw it, he was pissed that no one told him to stop. azz-hat 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Oh we'll hook you up.
If we get the trawler running or the cabin cruiser or someone else's ride we'll join you on the water!
I have room for seven so you're more than welcome to come along. I added a porta potty last year to make it easy for female friends to get some relief. :ROFLMAO: This isn't my boat (but it's the same model) and probably not the make/model of toilet I bought, but you get the idea.

12.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Does anyone have any recommendations for a polishing system to keep the gelcoat in top shape? Those electric buffers could be the ticket and I tend to be loyal to DeWalt but they're not the only game in town.

I've never owned an electric buffer, but the ability to buff the gelcoat on my boat and paint on vehicles (maybe even tractors) is appealing. There's a dizzying array of orbital polishers available so I'd like to cut through the noise and get polishing this spring.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
Does anyone have any recommendations for a polishing system to keep the gelcoat in top shape? Those electric buffers could be the ticket and I tend to be loyal to DeWalt but they're not the only game in town.

I've never owned an electric buffer, but the ability to buff the gelcoat on my boat and paint on vehicles (maybe even tractors) is appealing. There's a dizzying array of orbital polishers available so I'd like to cut through the noise and get polishing this spring.
Have used an orbital Simoniz buffer for years. Works very nicely, only draw back is it is electric, battery operated weren't available back then. I believe any quality buffer would suit your needs. The choice of wax and using it under the recommended instructions is probably the most important detail.