No one ever warned me about this side effect of buying a boat!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Boats should come with a warning sticker such as "may cause a lack of focus, daydreaming, longing etc.". :LOL:

Since becoming a boat owner a year ago, I find myself dreaming and scheming about lazy summer days on the lake. I never used to think much about the summer during the cold Montana winters. I used to enjoy the peace and quiet that winter brings, enjoy splitting firewood, enjoy getting a nice fire going, and enjoy heading out on the trails either snow shoeing or cross country skiiing. I still enjoy those things, however, now that I have a boat I find myself planning upgrades, ordering parts, scheming, and looking at maps to identify destination lakes and rivers for summer trips etc.

I'll be adding Bennett Marine trim tabs (24"x9") this Spring and had some fun designing a custom pod to hold the helm controller which is going in the spot currently occupied by a low-end Jensen Bluetooth head unit. The 3" hole in the console is too big for the controller to cover, so I designed a pod that I'll 3D print (and possibly paint) to fill up the hole and house the controller. I'll tap the four holes, Loctite in 10-32 studs and use washers and nuts to secure the pod to the console. The controller has a large round "nut" on the backside that is used to clamp it in place.

SolidWorks and Photoshop can take much of the guesswork out of this sort of thing.

pod_01.jpg

pod_2.jpg

pod_3.jpg

pod_7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here are the Bennett trim tabs. After a fair amount of research I opted for the BOLT model which is all electric along with the integrated controller which doesn't have autopilot. I read about too many issues with the autopilot controller so decided against it.

BOLT249.jpg

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Mostly joking, but you’ve experienced the first happiest day of a boat owners life. The second happiest day, well maybe you’ll avoid that one for a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Mostly joking, but you’ve experienced the first happiest day of a boat owners life. The second happiest day, well maybe you’ll avoid that one for a bit.
That's a common theme when it comes to boats, however, the older I get the more nuance I see in everything. I hope I enjoy this boat for many years to come, and if/when it's time to part ways, I hope I have few regrets and wonderful memories of fair winds and following seas. :p

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The nicest thing about having lots of land is that when you finally tire of the the boat, you can abandon it on the property for the next owner to find it and wonder why it is hidden in the woods.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The nicest thing about having lots of land is that when you finally tire of the the boat, you can abandon it on the property for the next owner to find it and wonder why it is hidden in the woods.
That's really funny, and sadly so true! :LOL: I've never understood the mindset behind abandoning things in the woods. That said, we'd probably have a lot fewer "will it start" YouTube videos if people disposed of things properly. Who knew that those videos would become such a thing?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If you need another fun winter project, look into some deck covering material (like seadek) for your boat. You can get pretty creative on the design. It's really comfy too.

I used another similar brand for mine but the name escapes me now.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If you need another fun winter project, look into some deck covering material (like seadek) for your boat. You can get pretty creative on the design. It's really comfy too.

I used another similar brand for mine but the name escapes me now.
I did look into deck coverings last year when you suggested it, but bought some really nice boat shoes instead! :ROFLMAO: The Robalo comes with a wash down system to keep the deck clean or to spray down anyone that is afraid to jump in a 380ft deep lake but needs to cool off. I would worry about grit and such getting trapped under the decking material and causing damage but that concern might be unfounded.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I've spent many hours on my Lund boat with three downriggers and fishing lakes in Maine and New Hampshire.
As my work load increased and my Dad passed in '97 and a new baby on the way.
I sold it. Years later I see the increased boat traffic at boat landings when I travel around I'm glad I'm out of boating but lots and lots of memories of landing trout and salmon and spending some of my best hours on earth with my father.
And as you've found out, lots of new 'things' available every year.
I saw a boat on the Saco river once.
On the transom it said
"DEEP POCKETS"
Lol

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh

Some wisdom; it may not apply to everyone so take it for what it is worth:

"If it flies, floats, or f**ks, it's cheaper to rent than to own."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
whats the saying, "A hole in the water you throw money in"? Anyway, congrats!

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Some wisdom; it may not apply to everyone so take it for what it is worth:

"If it flies, floats, or f**ks, it's cheaper to rent than to own."
I heard that last year from a pilot when I told him I was buying a boat! :ROFLMAO:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
whats the saying, "A hole in the water you throw money in"? Anyway, congrats!
But what isn't? Tractors, cars/trucks, homes, hobbies, girlfriends, wives, vacations, dining out, electronics, education .... the list goes on and on, . I guess some holes are more enjoyable than others. ;)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Just don't start fishing.....

Between the boat, sonar, trolling motors (both gas and electronic) batteries, poles, lures, downriggers, planer boards, line....etc...etc...etc..Fishing has to be the most expensive sport/hobby in the world.

BTW I have those same trim tabs on my Warrior, they have been great for the last 3 years.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Fishing has to be the most expensive sport/hobby in the world.

no... getting married is (ducking real fast now...)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The scheming continues with more upgrades in the works. I haven't been very fiscally responsible lately but I'm conscious of the fact that I have way more past than future, so as Josey Wales said "get busy living or get busy dying". With that in mind, I decided that a repower was in my best interest, so if anyone is looking for a low hour 2016 Yamaha F150XB then let me know. :LOL: I've gone the 200hp V6 route.

Is anyone else looking forward to getting on the water this summer? Up here we have a short boating season but that makes the time on the water even more precious.

I've spent a fair amount of time watching some good YouTube channels that detail the process of repairing small nicks and scratches in the gelcoat. I've worked with fiberglass in the past and it's not difficult, but I've never done gelcoat work. I didn't inherit any major dings, but the previous owner must have scraped the keel on a pebble. Should be an easy fix.

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
If ya ain't fishing, you ain't living!
IMG_0335.JPG

• Love

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If ya ain't fishing, you ain't living! View attachment 123286
Great scenery, cool boat and a lovely dog!

I've never caught the fishing bug to be honest. I do enjoy hiking to a mountain lake with a spinner rod on my pack, and have tried a little fly fishing, but the whole fishing thing just isn't my thing. :LOL: