New vs used: First tractor...Kubota BX 18XX

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Hello,
I am struggling with a decision related to the purchase of my very fist tractor. This will be a "hobby" tractor that I plan to use for typical yard maintenance work using he FEL to move gravel/mulch/clippings, to be used for snow removal in the winter, etc. I'm in NH so snow removal can be quite a chore with my 90' driveway. Initially I'll be using it to clear out and smooth a section of forest I'm clearing and then digging up an old driveway. I'm on a lot thats about acre so this isnt going to be a farm duty or heavily abused machine in any way.

Part of my plan is to use the machine to consolidate/downsize. I currently have a John Deere lawn tractor, a leaf cyclone I drag behind it, a monster 9hp walk behind snowblower, etc etc....I think that there's a real possibility I could basically replace almost all those machines with the single subcompact tractor plus accessories over time. My goal is to never need another machine (I'm approaching 40)

Accessories for these tractors are no joke, however, particularly the grass collector and snowblower.

I'm finding some used tractors with fairly low hours and some with a decent assortment of accessories for sale...most used looking ~$5K or so less than I'd pay for the same machine brand new. The used tractors are between 2 and 8 years old...

I'm significantly concerned buying used since I dont have much experience with this class of machine, its maintenance, how to inspect one, etc etc. Used also adds the transport complexity (all new dealers will deliver for free near me)

On the financial side going used means an immediate chunk of cash out of my savings....but no payments and no insurance required.

If I went new, Kubota has some pretty decent deals like 20% down and then 84 months at 0% financing which would allow me to spread out the expense over some more time.

If I buy new, I doubt I can afford the grass collector (~2500) or the Snowblower (~3500) and would probably add those later or look for them used. I am fine using the loader for snow until then but my wife isnt fond of the idea of me leaving grass clippings all over the lawn.

Have others struggled with a similar decision? What did you do?

The relative lack of these things on the resale market for models in the last few years seems to tell me many people are buying new...

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I looked at buying new. The sheer cost of new with the options I needed/wanted sent me running to buy used. It isn't pretty, but it works, and it's paid for. I think I'm pretty handy, so if something happens it is an older simpler machine, so I think I can fix it too.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I looked at buying new. The sheer cost of new with the options I needed/wanted sent me running to buy used. It isn't pretty, but it works, and it's paid for. I think I'm pretty handy, so if something happens it is an older simpler machine, so I think I can fix it too.
I agree in the sense that all the attachments I'd want would probably push me close to $20k new and that is crazy.

Theres an 1870 on the classifieds with EVERY attachment I want in the exact size tractor I want and its within driving range in CT....i've reached out to that member as it would be my dream setup....

Freeing up 12K for a private purchase isn't the easiest, however.....such a tough choice!

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
When I was looking for a used tractor I found that any good used tractor cost almost as much as a new one. The worry of getting a problem tractor that might cost as much or more as a new one in the end to fix, sent me to get a new one.

Yes a new tractor means insurance if financed but with 0%, it has worked out for the best. I also got the implements I needed right away since they were financed for the 0% also. The other implements I have added as the need arose.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The reason Kubota used tractors don't loose a lot of value as they age is because they don't require much of anything but maintenance (just as new ones do). I sure would not be afraid of finding a used machine in good condition with the attachments you want.

Now wait a minute. If you can't figure how to sharpen a #2 wooden pencil in a pencil sharpener.....you better buy new, and make a deal with the dealer to pick up and service!:D

The same skill set will be required to remove oil, fuel and air filters.

steve.curlydogacres

Jun 27, 2018
corvallis
I was told with diesel tractors years ago that 10,000 hours was just starting to get old for one and a typical homeowner might only put 100 hours a year on one. This would not include regular lawn mowing in my experience but even that might add only another 100 or so hours so used sounds safe. Kubota and other good brands pretty much get 80 or so percent of the price you paid for most of their life so you can always trade later. Buying used might get you your purchase price back all along so another reason to buy used. I bought a BX 2330 in 2006 and found its front wheels were small and really jarred over rough ground and the subcompact frames are difficult to fit typical 3 pt. implements to. I traded up to a used B series and it's much better. Using a belly mower on a BX frame also gets in the way of using in the woods or other rough areas. That said, they mow really well. I now use my tractor for work and a ZTR for mowing but that costs more, of course. A front end loader is the greatest thing since wax paper and you won't be able to live without it once you own one.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The problem and the benefit is that a 5 year old Kubota still does everything a new one does (other than some comfort stuff). They also don't wear out real fast, so it's quite logical that a used one is worth most of what a new one is....once you have one you're reasonably unlikely to sell it, so there are far more people wanting a second hand subcompact than there are tractors available.

You can absolutely replace all the machines you describe. A subcompact might not do every job as well as the machine it replaces, but it's one machine, and it's usually more fun to use than a walk-behind snow blower, a small lawn tractor etc.

On the mower, I'd think hard before getting a grass collector/bagger. They're fiddly to put on, and so far as I can tell don't work brilliantly anyway. I've always mulched since I got my Kubota, and only had a problem if I let the lawn get away on me. Since I like driving my tractor, I'm usually happy to mow every week, sometimes twice a week. I mow in circles, and discharge to the centre, so on each round I re-mow all the clippings from the previous round. You end up with a strip in the middle, then mow over that a couple times, all good. My father was convinced there'd be grass clippings everywhere but has agreed actually there aren't - it works really well. Borrow one, rent one, or buy it without the catcher and then add it if you're unhappy.

One last point on used....I'm looking at new now, but I bought an old BX2350 from an auction site. It had been used by a contracting company, they clearly let the apprentice drive it. It's very beaten up cosmetically (including clearly he was unable to read, as he's stood on the bit of the mower that says "no step" and wrecked it). But I got a great deal - $3000 for the base machine and mower. I had to pay to add the bits that were lost - 3pt hitch, weld up the mower where it was cracked and add a missing wheel, add a front end loader my local dealer did all that for me. But I'm still way ahead of what a good one would have cost (I have no headlights, broken panels, no engine cowling - so it looks ugly, but it runs just fine). And it was a good first tractor - I haven't felt too bad about the things I broke myself as I learned what I needed to be careful with. So far as I can tell they're mechanically very robust - you have to be very mean to them to break them.

Like I say, I'm in line for a new one, now that I've proved to the budget controller that I actually use it every weekend, over and above mowing, so it's worth the investment in one that isn't so ugly. But it was a good starting point.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I bought an OLD kubota - 1973 era - and it's perfect in funtion - no runs/drips/error/leaks, etc.

OK, learned a lot - mostly that I need a bigger tractor and a loader. Used what I want starts at $6500 or something 40 years old...somethong newer/decent/low hours is 10k-12k.

Like you -how to pay for that. I don't have that lying around, home equity line of credit perhaps.

Kioti offered 6 years, zero down, zero interest...so I could get the tractor i needed (and nearly what I wanted :D) for no money. Well, none NOW.

This freed up the cash to get used implements - bigger tractor needs bigger implements and they can get downright pricey.

And a tractor itself is just POTENTIAL - no implements and it does no work!

So instead of scraping to buy less tractor (due to cost) than I needed I opted for new. If you told be 3 years ago I'd be dropping $22k on a tractor I'd say your nuts.

BUT the car just got paid off..if I can get 6 years from it (should be able to) then i'll buy a car about the time the tractor is paid off.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I wanted to thank everyone for their answers!

I've figured out some financial options that have somewhat removed that burden...family member willing to do a 0% loan for whatever I want over the same period as the dealer if I go the used route.

I've decided I'm going to skip the grass collector for now....I can find one used or add it later if mulching the grass becomes an issue (we have a 1 year old who is in the lawn all the time and may get covered in clippings if I dont remove them)

I plan to keep my riding lawn mower and snowblower for at least one season overlap with the tractor...

I'll see how it is with just the FEL and possible a back blade doing snow....with a long term idea of getting the Kubota front snowblower at some later date. I'd probably look for that piece used during the summer months anyways and offset it with selling my current snowblower.

I think right now it just comes down to the logistics of a used purchase and a better "deal" vs the simplicity and stress free path of just buying new. I'm a bit worried I may lose my whole summer kicking tires and dealing with sellers in the used world whereas I could have one in my driveway all shiny in about a week or two if I pulled the trigger new.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Just a thought. If you decided to get a 3pt finish mower instead of a belly mower you won't have much of a grass clipping issue. They are rear discharge therefore there are no windrows to speak of. If you keep after the lawn the clippings will be insignificant. Not sure if that will work for you but it is something to keep in mind. Good luck with your purchase.

Missouribound

Equipment
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I plan to keep my riding lawn mower and snowblower for at least one season overlap with the tractor...
That's a great idea. The only real drawback is how much fuel you will need using a gas mower vs a diesel.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
I was in the same dilemma you are 4 months ago I bought new due to 0% for 60 months. That said there are lots of nice used machines out there, just make sure if you buy used you look it over good and try it out. I figured with my investment it would last me the rest of my life so screw it. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I wanted to thank everyone for their answers!

I've figured out some financial options that have somewhat removed that burden...family member willing to do a 0% loan for whatever I want over the same period as the dealer if I go the used route.

I've decided I'm going to skip the grass collector for now....I can find one used or add it later if mulching the grass becomes an issue (we have a 1 year old who is in the lawn all the time and may get covered in clippings if I dont remove them)

I'll see how it is with just the FEL and possible a back blade doing snow....with a long term idea of getting the Kubota front snowblower at some later date. I'd probably look for that piece used during the summer months anyways and offset it with selling my current snowblower.

I think right now it just comes down to the logistics of a used purchase and a better "deal" vs the simplicity and stress free path of just buying new. I'm a bit worried I may lose my whole summer kicking tires and dealing with sellers in the used world whereas I could have one in my driveway all shiny in about a week or two if I pulled the trigger new.
I bought a 2 year old BX2670 last year and love the tractor. I picked up a used snowblower and a used but not used front blade for it for pennies on the dollar late spring. I've owned Simplicity legacys for several years in the past, and they were great tractors, but this Kubota beats them hands down. If I were as young as you, I'd buy new without a doubt, finding used attachments WILL be a problem though. Unless you can find a new old stock 70 series tractor. The 80 series take a different hitch and attachments for the the front. Myself, I prefer the the old style hitch setup to the new. Tractor house does have some new 70 series tractors listed for sale, don't know if there are any near you or not. May be worth a look see.

Missouribound

Equipment
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
One more thing about buying a newer, but used Kubota. The warranty's are transferable but it must be done through a dealer. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Thanks everyone!

I seem to have come to an agreement with a forum member here who is fairly local (~150 miles away) and selling a complete package 2016 bx 1870 with the mower, bagger, blade, FEL and blower I want. We're trying to get a plan together to do the deal this upcoming saturday and I'm going through what I'll need to transport everything.

If for some reason that falls through, I'm going the new route and I'll just start out with a few less attachments. I test drove the 1880 and its everything I want...was quite surprised how nimble it felt.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
My best guess is that it will be a few months and you'll be looking to dump the 1870.

The 1880 is a giant leap forward.
Hmm. I see a few convenience features, but nothing that would compel me to upgrade. I find the 70 series FEL a piece of cake to install and remove, even though I've got to leave the seat. And there have been some reports of the newer hydraulic coupling leaking. The new hood arrangement is appealing, but I don't***8203; care for the way the grill guard looks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My best guess is that it will be a few months and you'll be looking to dump the 1870.

The 1880 is a giant leap forward.
Seems to be a bold, odd statement. Kinda like telling someone who just got married, in a few months you'll be looking to dump her. Sometimes comments are better left unsaid.

If one machine is so much better, perhaps facts of differences would be a benefit.

bgk

Apr 23, 2017
Accord, ny
Purely from a financial standpoint.... new makes more sense with the 0% financing from Kubota. You will have liquid cash in your pocket with which you stand to invest elsewhere and make a return. With 0% apr you’re actually also making out so long as inflation continues to rise over the next seven years, which it will. So long as you don’t mind the low monthly payment, it makes sense to me to let them lend you money to buy new.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Purely from a financial standpoint.... new makes more sense with the 0% financing from Kubota. You will have liquid cash in your pocket with which you stand to invest elsewhere and make a return. With 0% apr you’re actually also making out so long as inflation continues to rise over the next seven years, which it will. So long as you don’t mind the low monthly payment, it makes sense to me to let them lend you money to buy new.
I've somewhat removed the financing aspect as a more wealthy family member is letting me effectively 0% finance with them for as long as I like. This means I dont have to pay any Kubota insurance, too.

I havent seen anyone else saying the bump from the 1870 to 1880 was so revolutionary that anyone would actually dump a machine and take the depreciation hit just to get those new features...what would they be? Perhaps I've missed something major.