New to the forum and begging for help from people that know more.

MikeHayes43

Equipment
Kubota L45
Apr 9, 2022
Bennington, VT
Thanks, everyone for your help in advance. I have a Kubota L45 Tractor with the bucket and backhoe attachments. Yesterday it started right up, ran great no problems. Go out today to start it and it cranks but won't start. I just filled it with around 7-8 gallons of low sulfur diesel last night before I ran it then. Like I said it ran great then. I double-checked the idiot spots to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb. The clutch was in and engaged, the brake was fully depressed, the seat was forward and locked in position, lights were all off and there weren't any warning lights on. I also waited for the glow plug light to go out. After flipping through the manual I am guessing that it may be either the fuel filter needs to be cleaned/replaced or air bled out. Although I don't know where the air would have come from because I never let it go below a quarter tank. I have also attached a video with sound in case that helps. Again, thank you to everyone in advance.

-Mike

Edit, Apparently scratch the video it must be too big, I'll try and shrink it down and post it again.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks, everyone for your help in advance. I have a Kubota L45 Tractor with the bucket and backhoe attachments. Yesterday it started right up, ran great no problems. Go out today to start it and it cranks but won't start. I just filled it with around 7-8 gallons of low sulfur diesel last night before I ran it then. Like I said it ran great then. I double-checked the idiot spots to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb. The clutch was in and engaged, the brake was fully depressed, the seat was forward and locked in position, lights were all off and there weren't any warning lights on. I also waited for the glow plug light to go out. After flipping through the manual I am guessing that it may be either the fuel filter needs to be cleaned/replaced or air bled out. Although I don't know where the air would have come from because I never let it go below a quarter tank. I have also attached a video with sound in case that helps. Again, thank you to everyone in advance.

-Mike

Edit, Apparently scratch the video it must be too big, I'll try and shrink it down and post it again.
Have you checked your treadle pedal position to be in the neutral position?
Neither forward nor reverse!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

-Mike

This site doesn't accept videos. You'd have to save it somewhere else like YouTube and then attach a link to it.
Are you getting any smoke puffs? If so, what color?

Since you just fueled it, I'd suspect water in the fuel. Check/clean the fuel separator and filter per the owners manual, then bleed the air.

I'm not sure on an L45 what electrical would let it crank but not start. The clutch/neutral/PTO switches wouldn't let it crank.

EDIT Could also be dirt in the fuel. Sometimes dirt/sludge can block the fuel line before the filter. You can pull the fuel line off just before the filter and make sure there's a full flow. Was the fuel new?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like the fuel solenoid is not working.

Check the fuses for the stop solenoid, there is 2 set of fuses in different locations, one set of mini fuses and one set of maxi fuses, check both sets.

Reactions: 1 users

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Don't know if your tractor has one, but did you or anyone else pull the "pull to stop" button. The odd time my sister borrows mine she does that and I'm sitting there cranking wondering why it won'tstart

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Don't know if your tractor has one, but did you or anyone else pull the "pull to stop" button. The odd time my sister borrows mine she does that and I'm sitting there cranking wondering why it won'tstart
Bad idea........ to loan a tractor to anyone!
Rental places have tractors available for those people who want to borrow.
For a sister: maybe ...... offer to do whatever work she needs done.

MikeHayes43

Equipment
Kubota L45
Apr 9, 2022
Bennington, VT
I don't even know if it has one. I'll have to look through the manual. Thank you

MikeHayes43

Equipment
Kubota L45
Apr 9, 2022
Bennington, VT
So while trying to figure out what's happening I noticed that my fuel filter has two on positions, one at 9 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock, with the off at 3 o'clock. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two on's?

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
So while trying to figure out what's happening I noticed that my fuel filter has two on positions, one at 9 o'clock and one at 12 o'clock, with the off at 3 o'clock. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two on's?
Try cranking in all positions,if the valve is open it should fire up,also could of there been moisture in the filling can that froze in the tank?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
In this application, there is no difference between the two "ON" positions.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Always check the red button!!!!! 🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂

That's the biggest joke between one of the equipment rental.mechanics and I.

I helped drag a skidsteer into the shop that he was fighting trying to get it started. Would crank but not fire up.

I asked if he checked the e-stop button. He swore up and down that he did. One of their other techs stopped by, looked down and noticed the e-stop button had been triggered.

He pulled the button out, and cranked it over while the other tech was digging through his tool box 😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 He started cussing pretty good when it started up 🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Reactions: 1 user

MikeHayes43

Equipment
Kubota L45
Apr 9, 2022
Bennington, VT
Always check the red button!!!!! 🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂

That's the biggest joke between one of the equipment rental.mechanics and I.

I helped drag a skidsteer into the shop that he was fighting trying to get it started. Would crank but not fire up.

I asked if he checked the e-stop button. He swore up and down that he did. One of their other techs stopped by, looked down and noticed the e-stop button had been triggered.

He pulled the button out, and cranked it over while the other tech was digging through his tool box 😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 He started cussing pretty good when it started up 🤣🤣😂🤣😂🤣
I don't have an emergency pullout the seat itself is shut off without weight on it. Maybe that pressure switch is done?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I don't have an emergency pullout the seat itself is shut off without weight on it. Maybe that pressure switch is done?
I've heard of a couple members having to have the seat switch modified due to not having enough weight for the switch to be properly pressed.