New to me B7100

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
Hi guys, first post here. Last week I picked up a locally listed B7100 that is quite possibly the ugliest tractor on this site. Based on what I've learned the past few days it is most like a gray market 78 model. For the past 5 years it's seen only light mowing duty at a Christmas tree farm in Houston. Prior to that I have no idea how it's life was spent, but based on it's looks I imagine it was a hard one. A month ago it stalled while mowing due to fuel starvation and the seller wasn't able to get it going again. I tried a few times myself last week to no avail.

Since then I've removed and pressure washed the tank in and out, installed all new fuel lines from the tank to the injector pump, changed the fuel filter, replaced all 3 glow plugs as only one worked under power and tested the system beyond the lift pump with fresh diesel.

The seller had attempted to bleed the system at the lift pump and one of the delivery valve holders was loose closest to the firewall. I suspect breaking the union nut loose with only one wrench was the cause and I had to pull the other two just to get a crowsfoot on it. Decided new o rings were needed for all three that delayed me for a few days. Furthermore, 2 of the injectors could be turned by hand which concerned me.

Anyhow, no oil in the rad or water in the oil but probably 10 pounds of crap in the rad fins once I pulled the grill. One more part to pick up before I attempt to start tomorrow. I don't plan on pulling the injectors for testing until I see if it will start based on what I've done so far. It really needs tons of work but I only plan to drag a box blade for driveway maintenance once in a while if I can get her running again on the cheap.

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome!
The B7100 was not a grey market tractor.

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
Thank you. I thought it may have been based on what I've read as it has no ROPS, PTO guard and has a 3 speed PTO.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Based on your pictures of the radiator, I'd say the previous own just neglected it. Probably removed all guards for whatever reason, who knows?

Looks like your rear wheels are set in about as far as they will go. You can move them out easily if you want a wider stance.

If she fires off, put some fuel additive in to aid in cleaning the injectors and just use it. If not, may need to remove the glow plugs and check the compression. Then pull the injectors to have them tested for spray pattern and pop-off pressure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No, not a determining factor, but you can get a ROPS through Kubota for cheap.

http://kubota.com/safety/RolloverProtectiveStructures.aspx

Also don't be fooled by the serial # it will be B7001-XXXXX that does not mean it's a B7001, it's an oddity in the way they produced and marked them.

Last edited:

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
Thanks guys! One rear wheel appears to be all the way in and the other all the way out lol. Seller said it never bothered him so he just used it that way ever since he bought it. I'll do the injectors if it starts and runs rough. Just wanted to focus on getting it running before I worry about the other 100 things it needs lol. I will need left side engine cover, front part of air cleaner, right side engine cowl hook, headlights.... It goes on and on! I like this little pig and hope I can get it to run. fortunately I will be working it on level ground and can wait to buy the ROPS.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello Steve

I am parting out a B7100. I have the engine side covers and may have other parts you need.
Thank You Lance

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Thanks Lance! If I can get her running I'll definitely send you a message.
M3Stevie, what kind of comment is that? WHEN you get her running call Lance.:D

You commented your tractor is rough looking. You don't know what rough looking is! You have a nice machine, just get her going.

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
Haha thanks D2Cat! Hopefully after my next parts run to Kubota this afternoon I'll get her chugging again. The hours meter was replaced with a temp gauge so I don't know how many hours "Krusty" actually has. I just hope the injector pump and engine are in good shape. She was puffing white smoke when I tried last weekend so I think that's a good sign.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check to see if your fan blade is reversible, this helps keep the fluff out of the radiator.

The blade on my B7001 pushes air away from the engine.
Unless you change the fan you can't reverse it.
Are you sure your's pushes through the radiator?
If it does, then someone has installed the wrong fan blade. ;)

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
Krusty LIVES! I buttoned up her plumbing and bled, and bled and bled. After several attempts and a few false starts she finally sputtered and spewed out clouds of nasty smoke. I'm sure a combination of air and old diesel has a lot to do with it. More reading tonight and some fresh oil tomorrow to start. Thanks for the advice so far. I need to burn my clothes now.

Attachments

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
Looks like a beauty to me! I'd say she got a little character and you'll almost always come out ahead with a "function over fashion" mindset. Great find!

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
So what's the secret to getting the threads started on the Hyd Screen Filter Banjo Bolt behind the right step? Bottle jack, prybar and swinging 1 pound wrench on my back while covered in hydraulic fluid just isn't working.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So what's the secret to getting the threads started on the Hyd Screen Filter Banjo Bolt behind the right step? Bottle jack, prybar and swinging 1 pound wrench on my back while covered in hydraulic fluid just isn't working.
If your having that tough of a time it's probably bent, Try loosen the other end of the line and any clamps on the way. ;)

M3Stevie

Equipment
B7100
Dec 7, 2016
crosby
Thank you. The line relaxes about 1/4" longer than needs to be. A one inch ratchet strap looped around the aft part of the line then around the front axle helped it shrink while a bottle jack raised it to the right height. Least favorite job so far lol.