New to lawn tractors, HST whine

patsmith1969

Equipment
TG1860G
Sep 29, 2017
Dayton Maryland
Hello all,
I inherited a Kubota 1860G with my new house. It came with two broken blets, but otherwise works fine as far as was told.

I did a ton of research and found the belts, and figured out how to get them on and tight (was not that hard).

SO I got it going for the first time. Now I have never owned a lawn/garden tractor so I have no idea what they should sound like. But when I drove the tractor around the house I heard a distinct whine from the rear transmission. it was not close to as loud as the engine, but quite audible. The tractor SEEMED to be running fine. I did not go fast but whent about what I would expect a lawn tractor to go... maybe 5 or 8 miles per hours... not a crawl by any means. On the slight incline I had it seemed to bear down and climb up the hill with little loss in speed.. all in all seemed fine.

My question is , should I call a technician to look at the whine? or is that what these things sound like. I do not want to blow the transmission with my ignorance.

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
Depends on how it sounds. Mine whines like crazy. Maybe look on youtube for movies of your model tractor. Or post a movie here so we can listen to it.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
"Some" HST's whine and some don't. This includes other makes/models of tractors.
Since you know nothing of the machine, I would strongly suggest getting the HST and engine fluids changed with new filters before using the tractor much more.
At the point you have done this fluid and filter service, you now have a time line and you also have the ability to hear a before and after.
Don't go cheap. Put Kubota UDT or Super UDT in the tranny. Buy good filters and engine oil too.
Whenever and whatever tractor I had someone ask about noises coming from it, I always ask when it was fully serviced last. If unknown, service it then use your ears. I had quite a few machines quiet way down in whine "after" the fluid and filter changes AND with a good oil.
If your still not sure it's right, ask around. Plenty of people own hydro garden tractors. Have them listen to it.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
changing the HST filter on the 1860 requires removal of the transmission and partial disassembly. Normally about half of the "pan" bolts break off as well-and they are harder than a brick when trying to drill them. And....if the tech that is doing this isn't familiar with that transmission, it's easy to lose a ball & spring, which then becomes a complete transmission disassembly and then reassembly. Nightmare. If it is not leaking and it does not show signs of axle seal and pulley shaft seal leakage, leave it alone....

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
Hi... I have had my TG1860G since 1998, have over 1300 hours on it. My hydrostatic transmission whines a fair bit... sometimes more when cold then after it warms up. I use it for mowing about 2 acres and snowblowing a 200' driveway.
In other words, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the tractor seems to operate properly, sleep well.

Pete

patsmith1969

Equipment
TG1860G
Sep 29, 2017
Dayton Maryland
Thanks guys. I will do a video whenever it stops raining. But that might be a few days since Nate is scheduled to come through.

I re-read my manual and re-read all the service documents the previous owner had kept (he was meticulous with his receipts - and paid a tech to do everything).

The tractor seems to be due for it's 800 hour "gear box" fluid change. He changed oil each spring and the filter every other spring which seems to be on par with the service schedule.

Gear box fluid change seems to be pretty easy.

The manual mentions nothing about HST scheduled maintenance and from what I can tell (and what is posted in this thread) the HST is basically not serviceable by anyone other than a full shop.

patsmith1969

Equipment
TG1860G
Sep 29, 2017
Dayton Maryland
Hi... I have had my TG1860G since 1998, have over 1300 hours on it. My hydrostatic transmission whines a fair bit... sometimes more when cold then after it warms up. I use it for mowing about 2 acres and snowblowing a 200' driveway.
In other words, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the tractor seems to operate properly, sleep well.

Pete
I was considering a blower attachment for mine as I have a 1/4 mile driveway. How do you like your blower on your 1860? They are pretty darned expensive from what I can tell though I cannot find a place to buy one from.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you decide you need accessories for your TG1860 I have a TG2746 (46"two stage snowblower) and a TG2754 (54" dozer blade) with TG2739 subframe. Both like new with operator's and parts manuals. All like new. Just don't need them in Kansas!!

If you need a separate machine from your mower, I have a TGF1860G and diesel I might part with.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If you have a fluid evacuator, you can suck about 2/3 of it out from the fill hole but that doesn't replace the filter, obviously. And it shouldn't need replaced anyway unless the trans has an internal problem-and if it does, the filter is the least of your worries.

The HST is built by Hydrogear, IIRC, but I can't for the lift of me remember what model it is.

Years ago when I worked at a dealer, we always had at least one of them a year who wanted his HST fluid and filter replaced. The first one I did, I removed the HST, flipped it, removed the pan, drilled out about 4 broken pan bolts as I recall, removed filter, replaced, reinstalled the pan (there is no gasket, BTW just silicone-so you have to be careful how much and type of silicone you put back on it), put it back in and refilled with 20w50 synthetic. No pull. Removed. Found nothing wrong. Reinstalled, no pull. Called Kubota, they were no help. Called hydrogear, no help. Called customer, told him, of course he's upset and rightfully so. Removed transmission, removed the filter and seen a place where it looked like a check ball and spring would go (based on my automotive auto transmission valve body experience), finally found it laying in the bottom (top since the case is upside down on the bench), reinstalled it and it went well from that point forward. But here's the deal, Hydrogear, when I called them back to tell 'em what I found, said that they didn't even have a listing for the spring & ball in their parts diagrams. So according to Hydrogear, it doesn't exist-which also means that if it's lost, you can't get it unless you know what size it is.

So as a consumer, you're faced with a couple hours labor, a filter, and about 5 quarts of 20w50 synthetic oil. Last one I did was a cost of about $250 with taxes and fees and it didn't quiet anything down one bit. And on that particular one, all of the bolts came out without issue-which is rare. Oh, by the way, the pan bolts are a special E-torx which means if you DIY, you will probably find yourself buying another set of sockets to do it if you don't already have them. E-torx is the reverse of a normal torx in that it's an external torx. A normal socket fits but tends to round them if they're in there good-which most of them are, which is why I mentioned them breaking off.