New owner BX2370

kawi825

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Feb 7, 2018
Upstate NY
Hi all, just got a lightly used 2015 BX2370. been trying to do my homework for awhile and comparing versions/models. unit has 62hrs on it, and is in almost perfect shape.

The original owner hasn't changed any fluids, etc or really done anything as it's "still new" in his mind.. i ran it moving a small pile of topsoil within an hour and wamred everything up, and then changed oil with 15w40 Rotella T, and a WIX oil filter.

I then checked front axle/trans fluids, and consistent with what i've read both were low, the trans was a *full* quart low. i used Mobil 1, 75w90 and topped it off. I wasn't thinking about what i just did, mixing dino and now synthetic.. not sure if that'll be an issue :confused:. i figured i'd run it this year and change both again. i figure i'll prob put about 30 more hours on it this year if that spreading fill dirt.

I pulled the deck off since i'll most likely only use it this year to move soil, and greased every fitting i could find on the tractor and deck.I'd love to end up using it to mow if it did a good enough job, wonder how others feel theirs mow. i have about 1.75 ac to cut, and a fairly hilly yard (walkout, etc). My BX has the industrial tires on it right now. kind of wanted turf tires to be gentler on the lawn which stays soft in the back yard, but people seem to tell me the Ind tires are pretty gentle and i'm sure the traction will be nice moving topsoil.

Have a FEL and MMM deck now, was thinking a back blade might help me spread the loads of soil/fill i'll be getting throughout this year. Thoughts?

Couple questions i had:

-After pulling the deck, i now have an open PTO spline underneath, it doesn't feel right leaving it exposed under the tractor while driving over dirt/rocks, etc. should i have some sort of temporary cap like the rear PTO has over it? or do people just pop the rear one off and put it underneath?

-There seems to already be a factory protective guard on the bottom protecting the plastic fan, was this something that came out by 2015? i've seen people recommend a skid plate because the fan was unprotected, was this on older models? mine looks like it's protected pretty well with the louvered guard.

-Any other recommendations for me? i'm new to compact tractors, i know motors/motorcycles, but very new to diesels/tractors. i normally do all my own work on our cars/mowers/motorcycles/sleds, etc.

Thanks all.

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I've just mentioned in another post how the OP probably wouldn't have done any damage in topping up his transmission with engine oil, but also recommended the best idea is to run the correct oil. Whilst generally synthetics are made to mix with dino and the ratio of that grade to the OEM fill may not change it's characteristics significantly, if you are going to run for 30 hours and change it, I would recommend in changing it now, get it back to the correct spec oil, as your transmission is an expensive component. If you do the full change and filter now, you know your good for another 2~400 hours depending on what your book specifies. You then don't have to worry about it, and you won't be doing any damage. 30 hours isn't worth waiting for in my book. YMMV

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
If I read the op correctly, he added 75w90 gear oil to the transmission and front axle. That would be fine for the axle, but not for a (presumably) HST. I agree that it would be best to replace the transmission fluid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
The factory "protective" guard isn't very protective. I had a stick get jammed up through there. Luckily it didn't do any damage. Immediately purchased a skid plate after that. You'll be better off to do the same.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
If I read the op correctly, he added 75w90 gear oil to the transmission and front axle. That would be fine for the axle, but not for a (presumably) HST. I agree that it would be best to replace the transmission fluid.

I agree with poster above. Change out HST fluid and filter with sudt2 now!

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
was thinking a back blade might help me spread the loads of soil/fill i'll be getting throughout this year. Thoughts?
If moving soil is your goal, a box blade would probably be better. I've got a straight blade. It work OK for moving dirt, but not great. It is a good implement for snow removal. It is also OK at grading the gravel drive. I won't give up my blade, but if I had a lot of dirt to move I'd get a box blade.

kawi825

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Feb 7, 2018
Upstate NY
Now I’ll whisper this to try and avoid an oil debate— anyone know of a decent lower priced online spot for the synt hyd oil, or does everyone just go to local dealer? I won’t substitute it since it’s not an every month type of thing I’ll do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
LOL. People can be passionate about oil choices, no doubt. I am no exception... For transmission I don't shop for less expensive fluid, I use Kubota sUDT-2.

uglyboy

Equipment
TG1860G
Mar 8, 2013
St. George, Ontario
LOL. People can be passionate about oil choices, no doubt. I am no exception... For transmission I don't shop for less expensive fluid, I use Kubota sUDT-2.
Ditto.

Hydrostatic transaxle repair could run into the thousands of dollars... Fifty bucks extra every few years brings some peace of mind.

Pete

kawi825

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Feb 7, 2018
Upstate NY
Ditto.

Hydrostatic transaxle repair could run into the thousands of dollars... Fifty bucks extra every few years brings some peace of mind.

Pete

I agree, I didn’t word it very well.
I’ll definitely use the Kubota brand, just didn’t know if there was a place where it was more reasonable than the local dealers. Thanks everyone.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I've had two BX's for eight years, and I haven't yet heard--on this forum or any other--of an aftermarket oil that is an acceptable replacement for the SUDT. If there were, I'd have used it.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Congrat's on the new rig!

All good advice here. As to the under-shield, if you plan on operating in the woods or trashy terrain, without the mid-mower, I would highly recommend installing the shield. Pretty cheap insurance, really.

kawi825

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Feb 7, 2018
Upstate NY
Thanks guys, moved another pile of fill the other day, kept RPM about 2,500 or so. Worked very well but I see using such a small machine really gives you a pucker factor with a load in the bucket and you turn on uneven terrain. Had seatbelt on but definitely need to watch the bumps with a load up front. Got 5 gallons of super 2 and I’ll change it out this weekend. Oil is done and front axle has valvoline syn in it. Great machine so far, can’t wait to see how it cuts once the grass grows