New Orange owner and OTT Member

average_gardener

Equipment
Kubota L1501,Tiller 48,Finish Mower 48,Disc 48,Blade 48, Bush Hog 48, etc
Apr 17, 2011
Keithville, la, usa
First, I would like to say what a great community this is. You guys here are giving great advise. I hope to contribute to this someday. For now, I am totally uneducated with the orange tractors. But, thanks to you, I am learning fast. For years, I have been wanting to invest in a small tractor. I have been watching my local Craig's for about a year. Then all of the sudden this spring and within one week, I found three consecutive good deals for the orange mules. Each one was better than the previous. BTW, I don't hesitate on good deals with the Craig's, I pounce on them. If you snooze, you lose. It's a strong market place. I was only looking for one good deal, but I never expected three in a row so soon. My wife has been understanding so far. What have I done? It's going to be her turn next.

*** I think this is going to be long. So, stick with me if you can. I am opening beer #6.

My first find was an L175. It had been garaged for 2 years. The paint is a little faded. But, the wash job was hard for this new buyer to detect. I did notice that the front crank seal was leaking a little, a small water leak on a cover plate on the front of the engine, and it had some blow-by. The owner knocked a couple hundred off for the leaks. I thought this was OK. A front seal and a gasket can fix this. But, the blow-by is risky. It has been parked for 2 years. The owner had 2 other large tractors and I saw where this one had been sitting. So, I am hoping that the rings may be stuck due to condensation from sitting. I read that soaking the combustion chamber with Marvel Mystery Oil for about a week, with a few turns of the motor every now and then may free stuck rings. I also read somewhere that just changing the oil and filter may fix it. Perhaps the oil is thin from age or diesel. I do need to change it, since it is old. Anyway, I bought it and talked him into throwing in a nearly new Howse 48" grader blade. I plan to fix her up, paint it, and sell it (blade not included). The blow-by did get a little better after running it some at home. Now, it is not dripping like when I bought it. It is just blowing a little steam. The vent tube does still have oil if I wipe it with my finger.

Now my next find was a B6100E with a very nice finish mower. There's not much to say about this one. It needs a little steering work. The owner bought the steering shaft and new bearings. He installed it. He didn't have a manual. It still has slack. He didn't do something right. It should be an easy fix. It is in excellent condition otherwise. It is very clean and runs great. I plan to fix it and sell it (mower not included). I bought it and now for my keeper.

My keeper is an L1501. I now know it is gray from reading this website. Actually, I thought I was buying an L185 like the decals read. But, after reading this site, I am not worried about it. Since I don't plan to sell this one, I don't mind telling the deal that I got on it. I paid $4300 (financed for 24 mo. at $184/mo.) It included the L1501 (flawless in appearance, it runs great, no leaks or blow-by.), a 48" landpride tiller (like new), a 48" Howse bush hog (good condition), a 48" disc (like new), a boom pole with homemade dump pan attachment, a trailer ball hitch attachment, and a 14' dual tandem trailer with ramp (very nice). From what I have read on this site, I think that I did good. I am OK with it. I plan to keep this one in top condition.

I now have an arsenal with 2 tractors to sell and recoup. They will sell. They are nice tractors.

I am glad that I found this site. I look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge as time goes by.

When I have time I plan to restore my keeper with new paint and wash. It deserves to look new. Everything else is in tip top condition. I really like these orange tractors.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...I really like these orange tractors.
Hello and also welcome to us !!

Nice story and great deals. If you will repair and shape the first two in a good-selling-look, mybe you will get 3 keepers. Because these little things are really good in becoming adopted and a member of your family!! ;)
I remember when I sold my first tractor, no good day. :(

Welcome have fun and a great time.

carl

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Wow....nothing like diving in head first!

I think you're going to be a pretty knowlegable guy on here fast!

Welcome aboard :)

average_gardener

Equipment
Apr 17, 2011
Keithville, la, usa
Thanks for the welcome guys. I'm busy working at my real job for now. I should get some time off soon to play with my new toys (new to me). I know I will be picking your brains. I have read a lot of threads here so far. It's comforting to know that we as a group can help each other with ideas and solutions. Thanks Mr K and Vic on a job well done.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Guys... I can beat that deal...

My neighbor bought an L35 with an FEL and box scrapper.
His unit has a Curtis cab, heater, and all around lighting.

It had 122 hours on it when he bought it. Less than a year old...

Guys... I saw it. Not a scratch, garage kept, primo condition.

Now for the price...

$16,000 cash

NO S&^*!

Butch

By ther way it was listed in the for sale add in the local news paper. Sold in 10 hours...

average_gardener

Equipment
Apr 17, 2011
Keithville, la, usa
Butch, it sounds like your neighbor got a really nice deal for his tractor with FEL and scraper. I hope he joins the forum to share, if he hasn't already. My favorite attachment is going to be the Landpride tiller. It will beat the H@!! out of my Troy Bilt tillers. Don't get me wrong I love my Troy Bilts. They have their place. But, from discing, tilling, scraping, hogging, mowing, lifting, and hauling, I know that my little orange investment will pay for itself very soon ;) It will also save me some back pains. Thanks for sharing.

average_gardener

Equipment
Apr 17, 2011
Keithville, la, usa
Mr. K and Vic, I really wasn't sure where to start my thread as a newbie. I mentioned some ailments on my first two tractor purchases with hopes of some suggestions. So that is why I posted here. I have found many ideas that may help me in other threads. I think that it would be nice to have a category for newbies to introduce themselves. I will post my suggestion in the suggestion box category. I think that it would be a good place for the old timers to introduce newbies like myself. Thanks

average_gardener

Equipment
Apr 17, 2011
Keithville, la, usa
To helomech, Service Dept Vic, cabu, and fj40dave, Thank you for the warm welcome. I can't wait to start asking for advice. That's what newbies do, is it not? I know that I am going to like it here. As soon as I can, I will post some pics of my little toys. I trust that you will appreciate them for what they are.

By the way, on my B6100E, one of the first scares that I had was that the left rear tire froze stuck on me. After reading the threads, I discovered that the brake could be sticking. I removed the fender to access the brake shaft. Then I squirted oil and worked the brake back and forth many times with a small pipe wrench. It was simply stuck from setting up. I was really fearing that something could be bad wrong, since this tractor is so new to me. When I first noticed the problem, the right tire was pulling hard, while the left tire was skidding. The oil did the trick. Thanks to all for sharing.:)

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Welcome average gardener from another newbie. How about some pics? I would especially like to see some pics of the L175. I feel a lot better about the restoration I'm about to start after finding this site. Best of luck on your tractors and I hope you have some fun with them while your at it.
Gurn

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man thats some kind of luck,, oh by the way I hate you very much,,lol