New MX5800 fuel gauge stuck on full

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Not sure if there is an introduction area, but I've had my kubota for a few months, and love it. After a week of owning it the fuel gauge became stuck on full. Any idea how to fix it? It's too much fuss to take it to the dealer for this, so I'd prefer to do it myself.

Attachments

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
most Kubota s use very little fuel how many hours ?? on it i have learned to always have on hand extra diesel fuel cause it can take a LONG time from full to empty and most times forget to look at the gauge which i dont think is very accurate

good luck great tractors
:)

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
most Kubota s use very little fuel how many hours ?? on it i have learned to always have on hand extra diesel fuel cause it can take a LONG time from full to empty and most times forget to look at the gauge which i dont think is very accurate

good luck great tractors
:)
I have 130 hours. It isn't a huge problem, just annoying to have something not functioning on a brand new very expensive machine, and does come in handy when running it for a full day of work to know where I'm at

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
I'm still experiencing this problem, and I'd really like to see if there is a solution.

Anybody have a clue how to fix this?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Update. This problem resolved itself. Out of nowhere, my fuel gauge registered 3/4 of a tank. I watched it for a couple of days and it gradually went down as I used the tractor. Decided to top it off, and it shows full now. I did notice that when I fill fuel now, I can hear a fluttering sound as fuel is pouring in. I suspect this must be the float moving freely, whereas before it must have been stuck in the up position.

I don't know why the hell it started working, but I'll take it

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Keep an eye on it. If you notice issues, log it and call the dealer. "Logging" meaning a piece of notebook paper, or whatever, with notes written down regarding the issue at hand. This comes in handy with intermittent issues.

I could venture to guess that the sending unit is corroded. These tractors are shipped over here on a big boat, exposed to salty air, and then they sometimes sit on dealer lot for a length of time, without any fuel in them. So the combination can cause some corrosion on bare metal parts-and the sending unit IS bare metal. MX's haven't' been too much of an issue but L's have been in the past, replaced a ton of sending units. Those and BX's both.

Just keep an eye on it and don't let it go out of warranty if you continue to have issues. Extended warranty won't help with it either, neither will powertrain (3rd year). It's not considered a powertrain part nor is it considered a major electrical component. Kubota usually won't replace them once over the 2 year mark. I haven't done an MX sending unit in a while but I HAVE done an L4701 recently and it wasn't real easy to get it out. Lot of disassembly of parts behind the dash to get to it.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The in tank float is stuck, probably hitting the tank side. Easy to remove and bent the rod slightly to allow free movement. If you have 2 tanks like I do, the sending unit is usually in the right tank.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Keep an eye on it. If you notice issues, log it and call the dealer. "Logging" meaning a piece of notebook paper, or whatever, with notes written down regarding the issue at hand. This comes in handy with intermittent issues.

I could venture to guess that the sending unit is corroded. These tractors are shipped over here on a big boat, exposed to salty air, and then they sometimes sit on dealer lot for a length of time, without any fuel in them. So the combination can cause some corrosion on bare metal parts-and the sending unit IS bare metal. MX's haven't' been too much of an issue but L's have been in the past, replaced a ton of sending units. Those and BX's both.

Just keep an eye on it and don't let it go out of warranty if you continue to have issues. Extended warranty won't help with it either, neither will powertrain (3rd year). It's not considered a powertrain part nor is it considered a major electrical component. Kubota usually won't replace them once over the 2 year mark. I haven't done an MX sending unit in a while but I HAVE done an L4701 recently and it wasn't real easy to get it out. Lot of disassembly of parts behind the dash to get to it.
Appreciate it. Thanks