New Guy Question

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum having recently purchased a L2501 with a BH 77 backhoe and a LA 525 Loader.

So far I love this thing and just finished digging out a huge oak stump.

One potential problem did surface and I am hoping that someone has an explanation. I will also ask the dealer but I thought maybe someone here has seen this. The pins that hold the backhoe in place have rods that are supposed to hold them in, but they angle down and slide away from the brackets that should hold them. I solved the problem by removing them and drilling them to use spring pins to hold them in place. I noticed this after using the backhoe and both pins had worked themselves half way out. It makes no sense to me why Kubota would use this design. I have to believe that these are not the pins that should be used. Please see the pictures to better understand what I am talking about.
Let me know what you think,
Thank you

Attachments

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
There should be another hole for that pin to slide into, just below the platform, probably a quarter turn down from where they are now.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I may be mistaken, but if pin was pushed in a little further and hairpin was on other side of bracket ot wouldnt go anywhere.

If its a persisting problem, bolt and nut.

ibunker

Equipment
B3300SU w/BK76, Box blade, DR wood chipper
Dec 5, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
There is a hole below the hole your using, so the pins will be at a down angle, you put the pins in the wrong hole.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
hmmm.... while what ya'll say makes since......... remember in the opening post he stated that "he drilled the hole" that he put the pin in. My guess is in this case there is no other holes or he would have mentioned that he tired it already before drilling another.

But.... then again one should never assume so will be interesting his response.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Right pin, wrong hole, don't ask how I know... Took three tries to get it right back the first time, now, I don't even have to think about it.
Enjoy your new tractor!
Jerry

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
no, he drilled a hole in the pin to put a spring clip in.
hmmm.... seems I'm and few others are crossing up terms "pin" with "spring clips" "Hair Pin" and "rod". ... confusing:confused::D.

So seems ya'll saying there is another hole in the backhoe frame below the one in the pic to slide the "Rod" (OP's term) into that puts it a more horizontal position and not angled downward as his is presently. In doing this it will eliminate his issue.

Last edited:

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
That is the only place the pin can go, there are no other retainer holes below. Please see the picture.
It certainly is no big deal, it is easy to fix. I find it a little odd that it would leave the factory like this and that the Kubota dealer did not notice it.
When you consider the potential disaster of the backhoe falling off you would think someone would notice. I am pretty happy that I did.
I will mention it to the dealer.

Attachments

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There should be another hole for that pin to slide into, just below the platform, probably a quarter turn down from where they are now.

Correct. They are next to impossible to see them, so you have to rotate the pin's retainer so that it points at approximately 2:00 and 4:00 and then attempt to let the retainer fall into it's hole. If you remove the backhoe you can see them more plainly. When properly installed, gravity will hold them from coming up far enough to slide out.

There "should" be another hole, unless Kubota inadvertently omitted them.....I will look at one tomorrow and perhaps I can get a photo of it. As I said, it's nearly impossible to see it.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
just out of curiosity...... are the pins put in the correct direction or are they supposed to slide in from the outside like a loader does?

crickwaker

Equipment
B3300SU,BH77,LA504FEL
Dec 28, 2014
Kingsville,Oh
Here's a view of where the pin should go on a BH77. taken from the seat looking back. I would hate to just have a lynch or cotter pen keeping the hoe from falling off.

Attachments

millsrv

Equipment
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
Thank you to everyone for your help. I now understand the solution and I appreciate everyones patience in explaining this to me. Those lower holes are very hard to see.
It is strange though that the dealer put the pins in the wrong holes.

Thank you!