New G6200 Owner with questions

Sooty.Mangabey

Equipment
G6200 G4200
Jan 28, 2020
Texas
First of all hello to everyone! I've been a lurker for a long time but never had a reason to sign up till now. I just purchased a g6200h that my Father retired after using for several years. She has about 3500 hours and its starting to show.

The good: she is complete and missing no metal, and comes with a brand new RC-48 deck. Starts as good now as she did when we first got her. and she came with several parts bags and a parts manual.

The Bad: Not too much actually i'm going to have to change out the O rings on the injector pump, change all fluids and give a thorough greasing. Aside from the leaky injection pump my biggest problem is the PTO Lever wont stay engaged. It seems like the linkage is either worn or loose as it interferes with the shut-off lever and binds up. I can hold it down with my foot and it will operate fine but for obvious reasons i would like to address this.

So my question for anyone who dealt with this is there a specific bolt I should be looking for to tighten this or should i look into finding a replacement?

Pics are incoming as soon as I get my computer to cooperate.

Sooty.Mangabey

Equipment
G6200 G4200
Jan 28, 2020
Texas
I believe I have got the linkage binding fixed, may have the pto engagement fixed but will have to wait until tomorrow 3:30 start at work in the morning.

Did mow with it a little today, seems to have lost some of its power and is more smokey but I will reserve judgement until after all the filters and fluids have been replaced.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I have a G5200 which is identical to your G6200 with smaller engine.

My PTO engage lever certainly does NOT rub on the shutoff lever. When I move it forward, there is definite point where it 'locks' in the forward position. I am pretty sure there is a spring which provides a cantilever force to hold it forward.

I found the online Kubota parts illustrations to be VERY helpful in figuring out missing parts from my tractor ===> https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

You can also google G4200, G5200 and G6200 and look at the photos. I found the photos of torn-apart tractors useful to determine how things go together.

TIP: Do not forget to grease the nipple underneath the center of the front axle. Not only does this lube the front suspension... it also lubes the PTO bearings!!

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I believe I have got the linkage binding fixed, may have the pto engagement fixed but will have to wait until tomorrow 3:30 start at work in the morning.

Did mow with it a little today, seems to have lost some of its power and is more smokey but I will reserve judgement until after all the filters and fluids have been replaced.
I only see an occasional puff of smoke when the engine is heavily loaded. (Only rated at 14HP)

A 'smokey' engine NOT under load may be due to needing valve-lash to be adjusted....or the adjustment on the injection-pump is not properly set. There really is not much more to it. (I am assuming your air-filter is allowing enough air into engine)

Sooty.Mangabey

Equipment
G6200 G4200
Jan 28, 2020
Texas
Thanks for the help Bruce!
I did a last little bit of looking before I closed up shop and I did find something interesting. My Tractor has the hydraulic deck lift. So I would assume its a G6200 However I look on the engine and its stamped D600.

were 5200s made with hydro lift as an option? or was this a 6200 that was re-powered? I know the Gentleman my dad bought this Tractor from had several Kubota Garden tractors that his family mowed his property with.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Thanks for the help Bruce!
I did a last little bit of looking before I closed up shop and I did find something interesting. My Tractor has the hydraulic deck lift. So I would assume its a G6200 However I look on the engine and its stamped D600.

were 5200s made with hydro lift as an option? or was this a 6200 that was re-powered? I know the Gentleman my dad bought this Tractor from had several Kubota Garden tractors that his family mowed his property with.
I am no expert... but I am CERTAIN that D600 engine is in the G5200. (G6200=D640 engine) I believe there were a myriad of 'options' such as hydraulic deck lift, hydrostatic drive and even front and rear pto.

Given the chassis are identical... you may be right about being re-powered

This website has some details on each model ==> http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/3/8/381-kubota-g5200.html

Last edited:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
My G6200 has D600 stamped on it as well, but IIRC it is on the head and not the block? Perhaps they did something to the internals or it is indeed a larger block. The engine is definitely different because the starter is much larger on the 62 than the 5200.

I believe the PTO lever gets its tension from a cable and a spring. I have a G5200 frame with that area exposed if youd like me to post photos of your fix doesnt work.

I agree with the above on greasing everything including the front axle. One of mine needs the washers/ shims in the front axle replaced from PO neglect. Looks like a heck of a job.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Look above your starter. There should be a 64. My G5200s have a 60.

Sooty.Mangabey

Equipment
G6200 G4200
Jan 28, 2020
Texas
My G6200 has D600 stamped on it as well, but IIRC it is on the head and not the block? Perhaps they did something to the internals or it is indeed a larger block. The engine is definitely different because the starter is much larger on the 62 than the 5200.

I believe the PTO lever gets its tension from a cable and a spring. I have a G5200 frame with that area exposed if youd like me to post photos of your fix doesnt work.

I agree with the above on greasing everything including the front axle. One of mine needs the washers/ shims in the front axle replaced from PO neglect. Looks like a heck of a job.
If you could post a pic of the pto lever area, I would really appreciate it. the Parts diagram doesn't help much to see how it actually goes together.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I looked and I was mistaken. No spring aside from the tensioner spring on the front right side at the front axle. The cable just runs from the lever to the front.

There is a second cable that I assume is the seat/ PTO switch

Sooty.Mangabey

Equipment
G6200 G4200
Jan 28, 2020
Texas
I fixed the pto lever not engauging, I ending up having to cut out the little bracket welded to it that the kill lever rides in.