New Clutch Installed unable to adjust

jonl2850

Aug 25, 2015
Helena, MT
Just purchased tractor clutch was bad no adjustment left but still could drive however the PTO clutch would not release.
Clutch is 2 stage dry and is a Diesel.
Throw out bearing noisy.
Split in half removed old clutch the release worn almost off of the pressure plate, the throw out release bearing very rough.
The flywheel very smooth no heat checks or grooves almost new condition in appearance. The clutch had been replaced a few
years back according to the original owner.
Installed a new reman ClutchMasters clutch. New release bearing, lubed the splines went together smooth. The clutch release bearing worked
very smooth.I went to adjust the clutch and I still have no adjustment to very little adjustment. I can adjust so the clutch disengages the transmission ( just barely ) but cannot
adjust so the PTO will disengage.
I have not adjustment with a brand new clutch what can be wrong??? I followed the Service Manual directions .
Installing the new clutch did not change anything????

Jon

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jon, what tractor you working on? Did the parts you installed match up with what you removed? Did you get the linkage reinstalled in the correct position?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Could you have gotten a bad rebuild on the clutch? Apart from that or the possibility of having managed to reverse the disc,(doubtful) I have to agree with D2Cat on the linkage.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
When I was a kid I had that problem with a '58 Chevy. I had put the pressure plate in backwards. Everything looked hunky-dory, but no travel.

jonl2850

Aug 25, 2015
Helena, MT
It is an L2850 made in 1985 according to SN. Careful when I was installing the
clutch plate thin side hub flywheel side. The rest of the clutch was assembled from rebuilder. Also if hub was reversed on the transmission plate it would not release no matter how you adjusted.

Asking around for answers I am told that the shaft that the release fork is attached to maybe twisted due to a gorillas big foot ??????????? It looked fine when I removed just cleaned-lubed reinstalled. The adjustment rod can only go on one way the way it looks to me.

The release bearing collar that is moved by the release fork showed moving by slight wear marks approx 2 1/2 inches ( did not measure just estimating ) but when i assembled the fork would only move less than an inch before touching pressure plate.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Is your flywheel completely flat across the face of it? Or does it have a raised ring around it that the clutch bolts to?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Is your flywheel completely flat across the face of it? Or does it have a raised ring around it that the clutch bolts to?
Hopefully he had it turned before he did the re-install of the clutch. They should be turned and honed before putting in new plates. It's about $80 at a machine shop.

jonl2850

Aug 25, 2015
Helena, MT
I just do not recall if flywheel was flat all the way across or not. I believe it was. I will know this weekend as I am splitting the tractor once again!
Flywheel did not need turning or machining.
Jon:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I just do not recall if flywheel was flat all the way across or not. I believe it was. I will know this weekend as I am splitting the tractor once again!
Flywheel did not need turning or machining.
Jon:
If it is not flat all the way across then it needs turning/machining.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Just to ask... is there a second adjustment for the pto clutch? My only experience with a dual clutch is on old Masseys to be exact and they had a separate adjustment (three screws) in the back end of the clutch you had to adjust as well as the main clutch.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
If you are not getting full disengagement, is there an adjustment on the linkage/rod that makes the linkage longer? If the clutch wore down and the linkage was readjusted shorter due to clutch wear, it may now need to be lengthened. usually, more "rod" means more disengagement.

-You probably did this already so ignore my suggestion if you have.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Edit 9-2-15 SEE POST #14 BELOW

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Back in Post #6 of this thread, olthumpa posted a link to a discussion of a similar situation. Having read all 15 pages of olthumpa's clutch saga it sounds like your clutch has the same symptoms. On his new dual clutch the three links (rod releases) that connect the two stages together were the wrong length, limiting the free play and preventing the release of the pto disk.

The problem was solved by having a machine shop make new release rods and bench test the assembly to demonstrate full motion of both clutch disks. See post #123 on page 13 of olthumpa's excellent record of discovery and solution. He also invites questions.

Last edited:

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
It is a wonderful thread. The best line from the whole ordeal:

"
Frustrated does not begin to express how I feel right now. :mad:"