New BX 23S

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
New to the forum...I am a proud new owner of a brand new ?? BX 23S.....This was a retirement gift to myself, after years of wanting a Kubota but never stepped up. I looked at a few used ones and decided that unlike a car, a tractor like this, would be a lifetime investment....So I go to my local Kubota dealer and buy one without any negotiation....He shoots a number to me & I say OK - Was this a mistake? or is there wiggle room....A few weeks later its delivered to me...Once the dust settles, and I'm alone, I take a good look at it....I find evidence of it being in outdoor storage for a very long time...This was not a tractor they had in stock, I feel it was obtained from another dealer. Most of the plastics have a lightness to it. The arm rests, lever bezels on the fenders, even the steering wheel...I also see spots of corrosion? under the paint, on the hood which did not compound or polish out....Yes I know this is a tractor, but I'm fussy and respect all my toys... I store it indoors, so it will never be out in the elements....I guess my question is, am I being too picky or unreasonable in my expectation of a brand new tractor, or is this is what to be expected.....I do realize some people wouldn't even notice or care, but this was a rather expensive toy......Oh and by the way, the hood is jambed shut...I know the latch is tricky and have had others opened, but not mine....The salesman said that it had a pre delivery service... Really? without opening the hood.....Thus far, very disappointed.....

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I'd NOT accept a tractor with sun damage if you're going to store it indoors. I'd make them take it back and get a NEW tractor with NO damage. Why did you accept the tractor in that condition?

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
I have it not quite a month and haven't used it. It has 1.8 hrs on the clock and I believe it had 0.9 hrs when I received it.... The tractor was delivered to me and l had an audience when it arrived, so it wasn't until I was alone that I could really take my time with it......The dealer agreed to replace all the sun faded parts. I was told the hood comes painted with out the decals... I guess the rub here is that I thought or expected that I was getting a factory fresh one, but that wasn't the case.......In reading another thread it appears that it takes a year of Sundays to get a new factory fresh unit, so dealers swap tractors back & forth...and naturally a dealer will relinquish his oldest unit....Now because I've been on this planet almost 3/4 of a century, I have learned to leave well enough alone....Once you touch something its never the same....The natural instinct is stomp your feet and have them change everything...but that too comes with a price....prying & forcing to get parts on & off,...Gee I never changed one of these before......I'm starting to answer my own question here...Maybe I'll twist their arm to give me the replacement seat without taking the one that's on the tractor & call it a day.....And I thought a tractor dealer was a step above a used car dealer....

Firefox

Equipment
2650 hst cab,fel,72mmm,48lp forks,48 tiller,PeCo vac,wt box
Mar 15, 2018
Swanton ,Oh
Charlie5320 had it right about your purchase!!! A fair deal for a dealer and the buyer should be minimum 10% off of MSRP price. A NEW sun damaged Kubota tractor should be another five or 10% off of that price also. You did not mention how many hours was on the meter when it was delivered? Good luck

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
I would stop back down there with the tractor or at least pictures. I personally don’t buy anything that I’m not looking at in person.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT. Congrats on the new to you tractor.

My dealer showed me my tractor before they serviced it, so I inspected then.

I never buy before I look it over.

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
First look for the serial number, that should tell you year and month it was manufactured so you will have a general idea how long it sat outside.
Most of the tractors at the lots are stored outside in the elements, but having sun damage indicates that it was sitting somewhere for a while.

If you anticipated 2018 model year and got early 2017, then I would ask them to replace it. Otherwise if the dealer will exchange faded parts you should be fine, as to decals, they can order new one, so that is not a problem. Ask them to throw in some accessories or maintenance parts for your trouble and call it a day.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I doubt that they are going to take it back especially after almost a month from the delivery time. But you never know it’s gonna be up to the dealership owners. Good luck hope it works out for you.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Don't let it get you down too much OP. I would be irritated because I like to keep my things nice and shinny as well.

Have them give you the new plastics, and a 50 hr service to boot, and go dig some holes and enjoy.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Firefox...It was delivered with 0.9 hrs as stated in my first sentence....Polishhammer...Excellent point on the year of manufacture..Looking at my invoice it only states "New BX 23 - BX23SLSB-R - no year listed....The stock # is blank as with the serial # How do I determine the month & year of MFG. by the vin # ? - I took delivery on Sept. 20, and not to concerned about them taking it back as Its been in my garage not used. It now has 1.8 hrs on it. But most important their invoice does not fall with in the guidelines of NY State DMV rules...The year must be listed as with the vin # but I'm not sure DMV rules apply to a tractor as the only proof of ownership is a bill of sale, there is no title.... However a bill of sale without the year & vin does not prove its the document for that specific tractor.....This dealer has been in business many many years and I trusted their reputation...I understand business as well...I don't know the wait time to get a tractor from the factory, and just like the car business dealer swaps are norm....I'm certain when a dealer relinquishes a tractor to another dealer they pick the one that's been there the longest....My argument lies in the vin # - If its a 2017 they have to take it back as it was not disclosed to me. I did not expect a 2019, in a sale date of September 2018, but I did expect a 2018...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Firefox...It was delivered with 0.9 hrs as stated in my first sentence....Polishhammer...Excellent point on the year of manufacture..Looking at my invoice it only states "New BX 23 - BX23SLSB-R - no year listed....The stock # is blank as with the serial # How do I determine the month & year of MFG. by the vin # ? - I took delivery on Sept. 20, and not to concerned about them taking it back as Its been in my garage not used. It now has 1.8 hrs on it. But most important their invoice does not fall with in the guidelines of NY State DMV rules...The year must be listed as with the vin # but I'm not sure DMV rules apply to a tractor as the only proof of ownership is a bill of sale, there is no title.... However a bill of sale without the year & vin does not prove its the document for that specific tractor.....This dealer has been in business many many years and I trusted their reputation...I understand business as well...I don't know the wait time to get a tractor from the factory, and just like the car business dealer swaps are norm....I'm certain when a dealer relinquishes a tractor to another dealer they pick the one that's been there the longest....My argument lies in the vin # - If its a 2017 they have to take it back as it was not disclosed to me. I did not expect a 2019, in a sale date of September 2018, but I did expect a 2018...
Tractors... sale date is the date of the tractor.
So regardless when it was actually made, it's now a 2018 tractor, and you were delivered and received a 2018 tractor! ;)
DMV rules in any US state, do not apply to tractors or equipment.
There is no vin # on tractors, only a serial #.
And sun fade is not covered by any Kubota warranty an does not play much of a role
Wanting a dealer to take back a unit that you agreed to delivery of and accepted delivery of, and then later regret over that issue is not going to be taken very seriously, sorry but just stating facts.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I have read of surprisingly good results from people who have waxed their tractors with XXXX brand of car polish and rejuvenated sun faded paint. Not sure about the plastics, but I imagine some Armor-All or similar type of product would darken colors and bring back some like-new luster. There's a good number of us weird people that actually waste time, money and effort waxing our tractors. It sounds weird even to me, and I'm one of them. I know mine lived outside in the rain and sun for a good while, but it sure looks pretty after I give it some love... If it runs well with the mediocre fluids the dealers put in it (prior to your 50 hour service and fluid change) and you can give it a good wax and some attention you might ease ease your mind enough to start enjoying it...

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
The issue with model year is somehow correct, but not always. If you happen to find few years old BX25 or BX xx70 model and purchased it today or next year then few years later tried to sell it as 2018/2019 model year that would be hard as everyone knows B23s and BX xx80 was already out for a while.

As to MFG date, every Kubota engine has a serial number that you can decode and it will give you MFG year and a month.

Here is the link to the page: http://www.kubotaengine.com/products/engines/engine-serial-number-identification

And below is a pic of a random BX I just found on ebay.

Just to give you an idea, my Bx engine mfg date was February 2014 and I purchased it end of June 2014.

So check the date as it will give you and idea and as said before, if all works great, just replace faded parts and call it a day. Regardless, that little BX will do everything you will ask it for and then some.

Attachments

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Ok - Very good info from all....So I'll get this back on track...The dealer has agreed to replace the weather beaten items....and they just followed up with me that all the items are on back order....All the parts?? How can that be...but I'll give them the benefit of doubt. The Hood has signs of what I will address as 'corrosion' under the paint, not sure what it is, but there are 2 spots the size of a nickle that will never go away and will surface in the years ahead, and the latch is a whole other discussion.... Here's something else that I think we all can agree on...Kubota # 1 in the tractor field. I considered looking at Mahindra, TYC, even John Deere, but never went to shop them. I started at the top, I never discussed or haggled on the price, Yup I paid top $$$.....thus my expect ions are on the same level.... If I wanted a stressed seat, discolored steering wheel, and a hood that will pop with blisters, I would have bought a used tractor. The small tractor industry needs to get with the program with regards to protecting their new inventory, even under open shelters like large car ports.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
When I was shopping for BXs, I stopped by Messicks. The sales fellow there told me they sell 300 BXs a year. They don't sit long at most places.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I don't think you really get much off on a small tractor. If you step up a notch or two then there is more room. I just bought a BX23S in August and the dealer did not budge much. But it had just came in and I grabbed it.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
polishammer....Still trying to get an understanding on this serial # You attached a pic of an engine....Would the number be the same on the engine as the tag on the frame behind the right front wheel? - In my previous posts I made reference to my hood being jambed shut...also the poor design of that hood latch, so consequently I cannot open the hood. I now think I have knowledge to pay a visit to my dealer to express my concerns. I plan to do this next week...I have a lot of chores that I need to do with the tractor but reluctant to use it, as there is is a possibility that they might swap it out for another one. We'll see......

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
polishammer....Still trying to get an understanding on this serial # You attached a pic of an engine....Would the number be the same on the engine as the tag on the frame behind the right front wheel? - In my previous posts I made reference to my hood being jambed shut...also the poor design of that hood latch, so consequently I cannot open the hood. I now think I have knowledge to pay a visit to my dealer to express my concerns. I plan to do this next week...I have a lot of chores that I need to do with the tractor but reluctant to use it, as there is is a possibility that they might swap it out for another one. We'll see......
The tag behind the right front wheel is the chassis s/n. My hood opens and closes smoothly. Does your BX23S have the quick attach front bucket?

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
shiraz627 is correct, Engine Serial# and tractor serial# are different. Kubota uses their engines in many different applications so equipment and engines do not share the same number. That's virtually standard across the industry.

As to tractor Serial number that you are referring to, you cant use it to easily find out the production date. I'm sure factory has that info in their system, but that's not something that is readily available.

So whats the deal with your hood? Does the latch not unlock or is it just stuck? Check out this video it might help you with this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdrmH9Sc3vE