Neighbor's cow eating our hedge

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your cattle raising neighbor needs to get some information from his local extension office, or local ag. university on use of electric fencing. He's showing is ignorance. Hope he didn't see you with that hot shot, that would set him off!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This falls in the category of "free advice" being worth what you paid for it, but if you are correct about the camellia muncher being a bull, eg unneutered male, in with a "heifer", and if as it sounds, he has basically made pets out of them, I would recommend you not go into their pasture. They can be unpredictable. Keep an eye out for your neighbor, he could get hurt even if either of them is just being pushy, not downright mean.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
All great advice, but my thought is can he just move your section of fence near the hedge back 3 feet toward his property?
A cow can reach about 3 feet outside the wire.....
Or, if your hedge has encroached on his property, you may be out of luck...
Like sheep said, with a bull out there, I wouldn’t be wandering around in there.

Had an elderly friend, lifetime dairy farmer, get tangled up with a mature Jersey bull. The Jersey won...not big, but he was nasty. Farmer was put down and ground into barbed wire fence...ribs broken and messed up, but could have been worse....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For one not experienced with cattle, it doesn't matter much whether the animal is a bull or a cow, they can both hurt a human quickly. You can be feeding them and they get excited by the rattling of the bucket and just move over....there you are with a 600# calf a 1100# cow or a 1600# bull. They meant no harm, but you were in the way! You lose!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For one not experienced with cattle, it doesn't matter much whether the animal is a bull or a cow, they can both hurt a human quickly. You can be feeding them and they get excited by the rattling of the bucket and just move over....there you are with a 600# calf a 1100# cow or a 1600# bull. They meant no harm, but you were in the way! You lose!

Very true...we had a charolais heifer cross that was a challenge for a kid (me) to take care of. She was a pisser, no doubt...Called her “Blockhead”. [emoji12]
My grandfather liked her; she milked well, and she became “Goldie....”[emoji3]

Last edited:

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Thanks so much for all the good info and suggestions. When this happened I didn't know anything about cows, but I knew who to ask!

:D

Here are a few pictures. A normal section of hedge, about six feet tall. The section that got worked with over. The culprit, pretending he doesn't know anything about what happened to those tasty bushes ("maybe the dog ate them, I saw him over there yesterday").

-- Carl

Attachments