Neglected L2550 Runs ...

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
I purchased a long neglected L2550 in August. I was told that it was part of an estate, and the owner had stopped using it about 15 years ago. The tractor had clearly been sitting in a field as the panels were faded and vines were growing up into and around the engine. But, it was super cheap, and I really wanted to take this on as a fun project. I've never worked on a Diesel engine before, and I wanted to try it.

I've been working on it in my spare time for the past 3 months. Under the faded orange tins, the engine actually appeared to be in great shape - no rust, the engine blue was still fairly shiny and intact, etc. I have not gotten inside the engine, but I have had the radiator re-conditioned, replaced all of the coolant hoses and coolant; replaced all of the fuel lines and cleaned out the gas tank and filled it with fresh diesel; had the starter and alternator rebuilt; replaced the fan belt; and, other odds and ends.

Today, was the big day as I planned to attempt to start it for the first time in years. I bought a fresh battery, installed a bump starter (a button between the battery and starter solenoid as the wiring harness is a mess), and began the process of waking this machine up. Over the course of about 30 minutes of bleeding the fuel lines and attempting to start it, the engine finally caught.

It was belching white smoke from the muffler and the rubber line running from the top of the engine towards the ground (I believe this is some sort of blow by tube?). Once it caught, the engine idled great. I let it run for about 10 minutes in place to see if the white smoke would stop.

The white smoke stopped coming out of the muffler after about 10 minutes, but it kept rolling out of that blow by hose along with spitting black oil flecks. Oil wasn't running out of the tube, but a lot was being spit out, and it never really quit doing that. So, after 10 minutes, there was no white smoke coming from the exhaust, but it was till coming out of that rubber hose. Any ideas what may cause this? Or, is this just the symptoms of a long slumbering Diesel engine?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You don’t mention that you changed the oil and filter but I imagine you have done that already. Did you use diesel rated oil? If not you have not done any damage but I would recommend changing it to diesel rated oil as soon as you get a chance.

That is a blow by tube and there is probably a filter on it that is bolted to the valve cover. Actually the filter is inside the housing that is bolted to the valve cover.

You will probably want to clean or replace the filter.

The piston rings may be in a bad position and not sealing well.
You may need to run it and make sure all cylinders are firing off by loosening the injector line to the cylinders one at a time. Careful about the spray since it is high pressure. Searching this website will give you enough information to follow.

If the engine stumbles a bit you know that cylinder is firing and should smooth out when the injector line is tightened up. Then move to next cylinder. It doesn’t make any difference in the order but just know which ones are good and which are bad if there are some bad.

If they all are good then you can just put some load on the tractor and see if it clears up under use by reseating the rings.

Other wiser people will be able to give you advice also.

And congratulations on getting it running easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
Thank you for the response. I really appreciate it. I did change the oil and oil filter, and, as this is my first diesel, I was careful to use diesel rated oil. I'll definitely try checking the cylinders as recommended.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The blowby would ordinarily lead to the idea of low compression. I wouldn't do anything to the engine just yet. Before did anything else, I'd use the tractor for some work. Get the engine warmed up to operating temp and use it for a few hours.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
And while running it keep a close eye, ear, and nose on it.
Do you see anything leaking, the oil changing a funky color, do you hear any grinding/squealing or engine miss, do you smell any burning or running too rich?
I agree run it but, pay close attention. You will know when to shut down.
Best of luck to you.

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Great start! Would love to know how good a deal u got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might be a good idea to have in infrared thermometer in your pocket as you're using the tractor. Stop every 10-15 minutes a few times to check your upper and lower heater hoses, head temp. etc. It just give you peace of mind knowing what's going on inside your new project.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
ALL GREAT INFO.. follow it..
IF ALL the cyls. check out/stumble & the slobber doesn't stop.. there "might be" a concoction u can put in the cylinders to eat the carbon & free-up the rings..
{ATF & acetone} WORK the snot outta it FIRST.. & keep checking the temp..
Good luck & congrats on the score....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So, after 10 minutes, there was no white smoke coming from the exhaust, but it was till coming out of that rubber hose. Any ideas what may cause this? Or, is this just the symptoms of a long slumbering Diesel engine?
Rings are stuck or there is ring or cylinder wear/damage. ;)

Like others have said, run it and work it for a while and see if the rings will free up.

Last edited: