need a helping hand (cheap)?

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
I incorporated a front receiver hitch into my bumper I built, and adapted a Harborfreight Bed Hoist to work in any 2" receiver (could work in back too). You could also do the same thing easily w/the cable crank version here for a few more $$.
The hoist was on sale around $75, and used scrap tubing to adapt it. It has a removable pin to turn the hoist arm any which way, as well as lock in in about 6 positions (could be easily expanded w/a few more holes) so you can easily pull up to something and swivel the hook to the object to be picked up. It also extends with a pin (3 or 4 holes IIRC)
It stores very easily and fairly compact in the bed.

IMHO this simple investment could be quite useful in shtf situations (use your imaginations about everything heavy to pick up/move etc) Not to mention I'm a Disabled Vet and a "hands on" guy and frequently need to do things to "multiply" my abilities w/o calling friends over to help all the time... this fits the bill just fine

Thought ya'll'd like to see some pics...

Compressor is a military 4 cyl gas version est weight (via grunt test) around 450lbs or so. Sure beats the hoohoo out of draggin it out by hand across rough ground. I was able to easily place it against the wall on the right in the pic next to the other compressor.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
Crane in storage position. I put the handle inside the top arm:

Closeup of 2" square tube welded to crane base (full welded every surface that touched):

Closeup of front receiver hitch in winch bumper. I flush mounted it and it's easy to reach under the bumper to place the receiver cross pin:

Crane swings 180* (really 360*, but my truck kinda gets in the way lol):

Crane extends past the side of the truck a good bit (est 18-24" or so):

Crane elevates to 7'6" (on my front bumper at this receiver height, measured at the top of the lift arm):

It doesn't have to go in front btw:

Keep in mind:

even if you're not a fabricator/tool guy, you can "build" one of these by buying 2" square tube approx 14-18" long (maybe found at lowes/homedepot), and take the base and the square tube to a muffler shop to weld for you. Easy/done. (or you can use it as yet another excuse as to why you need a welder and learn how to weld)

The crane is rated at 1000lbs (in the non extended position). Extended is approx 4-500lbs IIRC. The "flex" you see (esp when loaded), or "why does it lean to one side or the other?" is due to the slack between the receiver socket and the receiver. It could be adjusted/tightened once inserted by putting an adjusting nut/bolt on the bottom or side of the receiver (doesn't really bother me, as it functions correctly and is still just as strong)

Receiver hitch tongue weight capacity:
Class II : 350lbs
Class III: 500lbs
Class IV: 1200lbs
Your factory receiver will have a sticker/stamp/booklet that exp. the rating.

What that means: you're not supposed to overload the receiver w/weight and the crane makes it easy to "overload" the receiver esp w/the leverage it applies due to the load being farther from the receiver.
BUT: that being said, the ratings are for hauling/accelerating/stopping trailers at speed. IMHO driving slowly across the yard extends these numbers a bit.
Just watch what you pick up as you're picking it up and use your damn head ( I get SO tired of liberal "safety warnings" ) Use at your own risk (esp if you're drinking etc etc etc)

I'd be glad to answer any other q's if there are any, and I feel it's a pretty damn good addition considering the price and it's capabilities.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
B7100hst-d. I have seen those hoists around. And I guess I have enough stuff around to make a couple or three of them. BUT, That front bumper, I like that bumper. Man you did a great job on it Good stuff.:cool::cool: Dusty

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
thank you sir. I've got a lot of plans for the truck, just not as much money/time etc lol
Going to do a rear bumper and sliders soon (I hope)

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
B7100hst-d, Great idea! Like Dusty, I've got enought junk lying around to build 2 of those, just never occurred to me before. Thanks for passing your idea along.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
Thanks for the kind comments.
I've also got it in mind to build a dual axle trailer this spring and I'm planning on incorporating receiver style mounts on all 4 corners so I can mount my crane here (and another one) on any of the corners to haul heavy gear up on the trailer deck

hivo

Equipment
B7300, L3940
Oct 15, 2010
Conway Arkansas USA
This is a great idea. I recently mounted a reciever on the brushguard on my tractor. This could come in handy. That bumper is AWESOME! You did a great job on it.
HIVO

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
That's pretty cool.

But...........

What if you were to incoprorate your winch into it....use the arm as a boom, and the winch as the lifting force :cool:

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
That's pretty cool.

But...........

What if you were to incoprorate your winch into it....use the arm as a boom, and the winch as the lifting force :cool:

while a good idea, that's a whole 'nother project (20'+ jin boom lift). If I did it on this one, it'd limit where I could use it and if my friends could borrow it etc