Nasty roomer need answers

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
I talked with the dealer yesterday and they mentioned that next year all new kabota's will have catalytic converters on them. EPA is mandating that all tractor will have them on the new tractors. Would this have an effect on the power of the tractor?:eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
had not heard that....but I bet it will reduce the power...but I also bet that those smart engineers over yonder have found a way to squeeze more power out the little engines!

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
The selective catalyst reduction systems like the DPF "Diesel particulate filters"systems are here and will be on everything. I have sat through a couple seminars in the last year and most of the bugs have been worked out of the systems but yeah they are bulky add expense and require DEF "Diesel exhaust fluid" lessen power and add expense and hassle.

The interesting thing they claim is that all diesel engines these systems are on actually emit cleaner air than they take in in places with extremely polluted air like Mexico city and Los Angelas, they actually help clean the air they are that efficient.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The selective catalyst DPF "Diesel particulate filters"systems are here and will be on everything. I have sat through a couple seminars in the last year and most of the bugs have been worked out of the systems but yeah they are bulky add expense and require DEF "Diesel exhaust fluid" lessen power and add expense and hassle.

The interesting thing they claim is that all diesel engines these systems are on actually emit cleaner air than they take in in places with extremely polluted air like Mexico city and Los Angelas, they actually help clean the air they are that efficient.
We might as well get used to it, because the mandates and technology is here to stay. Lots of folks did deletes on diesel trucks, and now the EPA has caught up to that and has won court cases against the manufacturers (http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ss-release/&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_137719656821310). So, bypassing the equipment is also a no-no- that is breaking federal law. The sooner we accept the pill, the sooner we can get back to work.
Myself, if I were buying another tractor, I would hurry up and buy one now before the DPF, or buy used.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
The thing coming along with the Selective catalyst reduction systems are newer engine oils again, not only are the fuels and emissions systems getting cleaner but they are mandating the engine oils follow just in case an engine were to ..............OMG.....use some oil!!!:rolleyes:

There was a huge issue raised in the diesel world with the introduction of API CJ4, just wait a year or two and see what is coming down the pipes in this regard now, this was a big topic that went hand in hand with the talk of the SCR systems discussions.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The thing coming along with the Selective catalyst reduction systems are newer engine oils again, not only are the fuels and emissions systems getting cleaner but they are mandating the engine oils follow just in case an engine were to ..............OMG.....use some oil!!!:rolleyes:

There was a huge issue raised in the diesel world with the introduction of API CJ4, just wait a year or two and see what is coming down the pipes in this regard now, this was a big topic that went hand in hand with the talk of the SCR systems discussions.
Time to buy up some cases of oil.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
BTW......my wife and I are roomers.

And rummer has it that we .........well...........
^^ LOL ^^

I thought much of the Tier 4 hullabaloo applied to the big guys (>50hp) but it looks like it now spills all over the place.

Run, don't walk.
Buy now.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm going to miss the days of diesels being cheap all across the board, especially the fuel! IF this EPA bullshit keeps up everything will be going back to gas powered. That old Ford 8N isn't looking half bad after all! I saw somewhere along the lines that Ford trucks was looking to put a 10 cylinder gas engine in their medium duty trucks like the 650's and 750's and an affordable means to operate.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm going to miss the days of diesels being cheap all across the board, especially the fuel! IF this EPA bullshit keeps up everything will be going back to gas powered. That old Ford 8N isn't looking half bad after all! I saw somewhere along the lines that Ford trucks was looking to put a 10 cylinder gas engine in their medium duty trucks like the 650's and 750's and an affordable means to operate.
I love my diesel truck, but my dad has a Ford F350/V-10 that looks better and better each year. Fuel mileage is poor, but not much worse than the last couple of years worth of diesel trucks. Operating cost is much less, and it pulls great (6 speed/4.30 gears). If I were going to replace my truck, I think I would at least give gas trucks a fair look. I don't tow super heavy, so a little less torque wouldn't be much of a consequence.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
...If I were going to replace my truck, I think I would at least give gas trucks a fair look. ...
Given that the diesel option in any of the big three comes with an approximately $8000 premium, a break even-analysis seems prudent.

When I did this recently, the break-even point for us was 12 years- unless I deliberately drove it more...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjgeU3Q0l5ozdEV4UV90NEpkWHh6a25OZ1BMV05yT1E&usp=sharing

Going to hold on to my 12V Dodge as long as I can :D

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"Going to hold on to my 12V Dodge as long as I can"

Me, too. And for more reasons than just the cost of a newer truck. Ease of maintenance, cost of operation, fuel economy, durability, simplicity- I LOVE my 12 valve. I will never get rid of it. For those reasons listed, and for the emotional value- I've got memories of my son wrapped up in that truck.

zman8537

Equipment
Mowing, Snow Plowing, Hauling
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Just to clerify, will this take place in 2013 or 2014 ? Looking at the brochure it lists the L4600 with the new TVCS Diesel Engine. Does this mean that it has the DPF or do they plan on adding the DPF next year? That was one reason that I want to jump on a new tractor this year. Anyone know the answer to this??????

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wonders if I can go to Canada and buy one and get across the border??

Sid Post

Equipment
Kubota L4600F and B2601
Oct 12, 2013
Texas, Oklahoma
What does "Interim Tier 4" mean? I'm looking at a used L3200/L3800 and wonder if they all have catalytic converters or require DEF.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Skeets,
To answer your question "Can I go to Canada and buy one and bring it back", NO, you can't unless... (All border and customs agents please close this post now!)... You take it apart and bring it back as parts, but anything over $2500 you will pay for import taxes.;)
If you bring it back complete, you will have to have it emissions tested and safety inspected if it doesn't pass they won't let it in, and they can be real tough!:(