My next project

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
With winter looming I had been thinking of adding a plow for my tractor to push snow.
I found this plow locally from a friend/customer I had done work for in the past. He had it for sale beside the road, but wouldn't take a dime for it.
He said how many projects have you welded for me and never charged me ? It's all yours. So a good find.
I'm going to cut the head gear frame off and make two "quick connect " mounts just like the back of my kubota bucket. Quick on, quick off, ill post a photo as it progresses.

Attachments

Reactions: 6 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Very cool.

I love me a good project.

Are you gonna make it a "quick connect" or a "muscle it on and off, once a year" connect?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Nope
I have my bucket as a pattern to make the same connections on the back of the plow. Quick on Quick off. Switch to forks or bucket in minute.

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might want to look at some of the blades folks have adapted to tractor loaders on TBN. There are some good ideas on how to attach and still get the full use of the plow.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I love good Karma. 🚜🚜🚜

Can't wait to see it !

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Wacked off the head gear today and order a 4x8x1/4" sheet of plate($260.)
I'm hoping for two sets of mounts. One set so the plow is centered on the tractor.
'Then' one set when the plow is angled about about 12" to the ditch side. So that set of mounts will be offset. With one mount extending off the back of the plow to angle it. It works in my head.
Well see in the next few days.

Attachments

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Yes it's pretty much rocket science.
I put in a few hours making brackets/mounts today.
Tomorrow hope to gusset/box them in.
I'm loaded up with work so not sure I'll take the time to do the angle set of mounts. So will try it this winter straight mount.

Attachments

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yes it's pretty much rocket science.
I put in a few hours making brackets/mounts today.
Tomorrow hope to gusset/box them in.
I'm loaded up with work so not sure I'll take the time to do the angle set of mounts. So will try it this winter straight mount.

Looking good!

Do you have a "plan" on making some sort of "tripping device" like a regular plow has, for when you hit something that wont move?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Looking good!

Do you have a "plan" on making some sort of "tripping device" like a regular plow has, for when you hit something that wont move?
It’s a Fisher brand plow made in Maine. They have spring loaded, trip cutting edge.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It’s a Fisher brand plow made in Maine. They have spring loaded, trip cutting edge.

Gotcha.

My Boss trips the entire plow, so that's why I was wondering (y)

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Seeing alot of the quick hitch plows forsale online most had a pin that you pull and swivel left right or center. But having that mount pushes the plow out five feet in front of the tractor head gear mount. The only complaint you'll ever hear me mention about my L3800 is the lift capacity of 1000 lbs. Where other brands , koiti LS New Holand ect there 38 hp lift over 2000 lbs. But it is what it is as they say. That said I wanted to keep the plow(I'm guessing 500 lbs) as close to the tractor as possible because of the lift constrant. As far as the trip edge after removing two springs the edge was very very weak. I used two ratchet straps pulled it all the way up/ closed then stitched the edge in place. I figured just like my bucket which doesn't trip I just go slow and easy and never a problem. I know, call me stupid but I'm racing around at 1 mph, not 25 mph like plowing with my truck. So I did make progress this week. Finished the mounts, gave it a coat of OSPHO , let dry 24 hrs, then a good coat of rusty metal primer. Just waiting on my kubota paint from Home depot to show up. A couple coats of that. It's done.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Kubota paint rolled in today.
So nice weather this weekend I'll see if I can get it painted.
My hired man has been working on this project this week a customer ordered. He wanted to be able to use a 30" stick of firewood. It has the gasification reburn shelf with is EPA approved emissions.
Unfortunately with material costs and labor cost my profit is 0. So I under quoted it. You win some you lose some.
Tomorrow the top gets cut and bolted on then high temp paint ect.

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Seeing alot of the quick hitch plows forsale online most had a pin that you pull and swivel left right or center. But having that mount pushes the plow out five feet in front of the tractor head gear mount. The only complaint you'll ever hear me mention about my L3800 is the lift capacity of 1000 lbs. Where other brands , koiti LS New Holand ect there 38 hp lift over 2000 lbs. But it is what it is as they say. That said I wanted to keep the plow(I'm guessing 500 lbs) as close to the tractor as possible because of the lift constrant. As far as the trip edge after removing two springs the edge was very very weak. I used two ratchet straps pulled it all the way up/ closed then stitched the edge in place. I figured just like my bucket which doesn't trip I just go slow and easy and never a problem. I know, call me stupid but I'm racing around at 1 mph, not 25 mph like plowing with my truck. So I did make progress this week. Finished the mounts, gave it a coat of OSPHO , let dry 24 hrs, then a good coat of rusty metal primer. Just waiting on my kubota paint from Home depot to show up. A couple coats of that. It's done.
OSPHO.....great stuff!
Many are not familiar.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Low emissions, the newer ones of some type of catalytic thing I believe. I was kinda joking about EPA emissions.
This one is basic, I don't make wood stoves, but this guy wanted something that would take a 30" stick. I'll make a ash pan today and my helper will finish the top and paint it...
On to the next thing.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Wait, there's epa regulations on wood stoves now too?
Your a little late to the party my friend. .GOV has been up our a$$ with a microscope for quite some time now.

I just installed a wood heater. If you buy a new one, there are basically 2 types of "EPA certified" ones to choose from.

1st is a "catalytic converter" style that works similar to older cars and has to be replace every so often.

Your 2nd choice (the one I chose) is a "re-breather" style. It is basicall a series of stainless tubes with a bunch of holes in them to "suck in" unburnt stuff and "reburn" it.

I chose the latter, because I figure when it comes time to replace them, I can make them myself if our lovely "ONLY 2-3%" inflation keeps "magically" doubling and tripling the price of everything.

Now lets talk about .GOV and their involvement in our toilets, shower heads, water heaters and gas stove banning......Do not get me started :mad:

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Kubota paint rolled in today.
So nice weather this weekend I'll see if I can get it painted.
My hired man has been working on this project this week a customer ordered. He wanted to be able to use a 30" stick of firewood. It has the gasification reburn shelf with is EPA approved emissions.
Unfortunately with material costs and labor cost my profit is 0. So I under quoted it. You win some you lose some.
Tomorrow the top gets cut and bolted on then high temp paint ect.
Beautiful work sir!

Please post pics when you are done with it.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
(Sigh)....plow done. My dad used to say "well , we'll just half 'A' it"....lol.
And most of the time it always worked. So. Figuring something to hold the plow up like the leg on my Boss plow was a consideration. But I had a bunch of hardwood skids steel comes on. So I figured ld just half A it and make a cradle and be able to take my forks and scoop it up and move the plow and cradle to wherever... then wrapped up the wood stove...then started assembling my tractor cab today also. Chinc down all the bolts tomorrow and start installing the heater..
Then I'm done with "projects"...back to making money for the rest of the year/winter.

Attachments