My first Orange Tractor, complete with a clutch problem

chetcromer

Equipment
1981 Kubota B7100 4WD
I picked up my first Kubota yesterday, a 1981 B7100 4WD with a loader and finish mower... exactly the setup I have been hunting for over 6 months to take care of our 3 acres, horses, and garden. Got the whole thing for $4200, complete with a clutch problem I was told had been estimated at $300 in repairs, labor and parts.

Needless to say, $300 might cover it with free labor, but nothing close to what I'll need to take it to a dealer. Parts alone are going to be around $275, and that's after shopping around.

The guy I've bought the tractor from is being helpful. He wants to make it right. He's offered to send one of his own guys over to my place to split the tractor and replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, and release bearing for $100 - he says it will only take a few hours.

So yeah, I'm second guessing the guy a little. From what I've read this is at least a day-long project, and while I've read of plenty doing it on their own, it seems like having some experience splitting the tractor, replacing the clutch components, and putting everything back together again is important.

How might I go about increasing my level of comfort here? I certainly don't want to leave the hands of this new-to-me tractor in the hands of someone who is biting off more than they can chew and a little over-confident, but then again, maybe this is all run-of-the-mill work for him... Any suggestions?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!
Do you have any friends who are mechanically savy? They could help you through the decision process- without knowing the guy that is being sent over, there is no way that we could advise you one way or the other.
$300 wouldn't cover parts and labor, but at the same time, it isn't too bad of a job. Lots of guys do it because it is possible to be done, plain and simple. As long as you are confident in your abilities, you have a good place to work, and you have good tools, it can be done. Personally, no way would I consider a dealership to do the work- any skilled mechanic can do it, and their labor prices would likely be less. Myself, I would do it; if I couldn't, I have plenty of aquaintances who can do the work.
If the previous owner is helping you out, and you aren't comfortable with the guy he sends over, then I would suggest splitting it with him; if he supplies the parts, you supply the labor. Find a friend who will help you (that is a great idea, because you then learn more about your tractor, firsthand, and next time, you can probably do the clutch yourself) and replace it, or find someone you are comfortable with and who is willing to do it for the labor.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Hodge has it right. It's not a bad job though your's will be little more complicated than my machine owing to the 4WD, loader, and mower. Whether I'd let him do it depends on his (or more specifically the guy who will be doing it) experience. If he works on tractors regularly that's fine. If he's going to send over an auto mechanic I'd want to know how much he knows about tractors.

Experience is helpful. It makes the process go quicker but it's something that can easily be made up for with extra time and help from places like this or from a friend. It's not a technically tough job, tractors are simple, it's just takes some work. The good place to work is important too, this is not a job I'd try in the driveway.

chetcromer

Equipment
1981 Kubota B7100 4WD
Very helpful guys, thank you. Already feeling welcome here.

I felt like I would be justified in asking in his experience tearing apart tractors (and even specifically the clutch work), and what you've said confirms this... I've thought about even doing the work myself, but think I really need someone who's been there as I venture into this thing for the first time... should be a good learning experience.

I've got a nice level concrete floor in the barn to work on, and plenty of lights. Got a floor jack and 3 jack stands, but no engine hoist - is that going to be a necessity? From what I've read so far keeping everything level is key to this job.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
If you've got a sufficiently strong set of beams overhead you can make do with a come-along and a 4x4. The halves won't be too heavy really but don't be afraid to over engineer. I don't figure the front end of my machine was over 600lbs and the rear was maybe 1200 tops.

Post #2 over here has pictures of the setup I used when I first split my machine. There's a dozen different ways to do it but the most important things are that the rig is strong and secure and is as adjustable as possible. If one end is just on blocks it can be harder to realign the halves.