My first Kubota

thatCovertguy

Equipment
Bx2680
Sep 6, 2022
Westfield NY
Plan on purchasing my first Kubota (actually my first tractor) and I have it narrowed down to the BX2680. My research quite often leads me to this forum for answers. Any and all advice will be welcome.

Is it worth the up charge for the ride over mower? Would a finishing mower be a better option? Looking to get a front snowblower but not sure about the hydraulic deflector (read some threads that left me with questions)? The only other attachments I plan to get are the box scraper and front bucket. Should I be looking at some other attachments. This will be used for grass, field and tree maintenance on 5 acres so not a big lot.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I don't mow with mine, way too heavy. I have a zero turn.

I have a hydro chute with electric deflector. The wire popped out a few times, lost the lock tab, otherwise it works well. If you're going to skimp on something, this might be an option.

Get the Quick attach bucket.
Get Pallet forks.
Get the third function valve.
Get a grapple. :D

Reactions: 3 users

thatCovertguy

Equipment
Bx2680
Sep 6, 2022
Westfield NY
Thank you Paul. I was looking at a grapple because I have a lot of logs and limbs to deal with. For the most part you’ve been happy with the electric deflector. I was leaning that way.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I am not sure myself if SSQA is standard on the loader, but if you plan to drop bucket and or swap to forks or a grapple at some point, I’d make sure to get an SSQA loader from the start. Personally I would not be without a set of forks. Depending on how you plan to mow / trim and the amount of obstacles to go around, if not many trees or obstacles, a rear mower would be a lot more convenient to drop/attach for use only when needed vs a MMM IMO. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

thatCovertguy

Equipment
Bx2680
Sep 6, 2022
Westfield NY
The SSQA wasn’t even on my radar until now. Don't believe it’s standard and definitely want it. I’m definitely torn on the mower. Seems easier to attach on the back than drive over. I will find out the price difference.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The SSQA wasn’t even on my radar until now. Don't believe it’s standard and definitely want it. I’m definitely torn on the mower. Seems easier to attach on the back than drive over. I will find out the price difference.
To me a rear mower is handy for backing into or under things(ie low branches and thin diameter brush)…less handy for mowing around things such as trees, posts, poles, fences etc. as it will swing wider than the machine. But if you plan to use in a woods or for other non mowing chores a MMM gets in the way IMO. However it does double duty as a skid plate if playing in the woods.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Electric deflector for front blower
SSQA
FEL
Pallet Forks
Rear blade of some kind.
Weight box.
MMM
View Messicks videos for comparisons on the 2 types of MMM's (mid mount mowers). His opinion (and mine too) is I wouldn't pay the extra for the drive over deck with "ramps" on it. Just the normal MMM is fine.

Can't speak to a grapple as I only have 2.2ac, most of which has no trees. Lotsa guys love them

Welcome aboard !

Sep 3, 2022
America
Welcome!

Some great advice here. SSQA, third function, rear remotes, loader, all stuff that makes most sense to get *with the tractor* rather than after. It's less expensive that way too!

I found mowing several acres around lots of trees so much more pleasant using a zero-turn. Have an old John Deere 285 (48" deck) that I mowed with for several years. The zero- (60" deck) is superior in so many ways, but cut time down significantly and more of my property is now mowed. I put the mulching blades on and rarely stop for a tree branch less than 3" :) My neighbors tell me they cringe when I mow due the horrific sounds :ROFLMAO:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
"First Kubota" may be more truth than you think. Make sure you know what work needs to be done and what it will really require. It's easy to get the second or even third tractor if you overestimate the tractor's capabilities.

In the over 30 years since building here, no tractor I've owned has been too big or too heavy to use a rear finish mower. The last Kubota has loaded R4 tires, 7-1/2' RFM and I always drop the loader and frame when mowing.

Reactions: 3 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
SSQA for sure. I’d recommend a quick hitch for the rear too. Forks are extremely useful and I’d go with them before the grapple.

I’d go with the MMM if you plan to mow around obstacles and structures.

Mike

thatCovertguy

Equipment
Bx2680
Sep 6, 2022
Westfield NY
To me a rear mower is handy for backing into or under things(ie low branches and thin diameter brush)…less handy for mowing around things such as trees, posts, poles, fences etc. as it will swing wider than the machine. But if you plan to use in a woods or for other non mowing chores a MMM gets in the way IMO. However it does double duty as a skid plate if playing in the woods.
Welcome!

Some great advice here. SSQA, third function, rear remotes, loader, all stuff that makes most sense to get *with the tractor* rather than after. It's less expensive that way too!

I found mowing several acres around lots of trees so much more pleasant using a zero-turn. Have an old John Deere 285 (48" deck) that I mowed with for several years. The zero- (60" deck) is superior in so many ways, but cut time down significantly and more of my property is now mowed. I put the mulching blades on and rarely stop for a tree branch less than 3" :) My neighbors tell me they cringe when I mow due the horrific sounds :ROFLMAO:
I was contemplating third function and rear remote. Felt that they would all be things that I would want eventually if not now. Thank you

thatCovertguy

Equipment
Bx2680
Sep 6, 2022
Westfield NY
"First Kubota" may be more truth than you think. Make sure you know what work needs to be done and what it will really require. It's easy to get the second or even third tractor if you overestimate the tractor's capabilities.

In the over 30 years since building here, no tractor I've owned has been too big or too heavy to use a rear finish mower. The last Kubota has loaded R4 tires, 7-1/2' RFM and I always drop the loader and frame when mowing.
Been told num times I won’t just own one Kubota…

thatCovertguy

Equipment
Bx2680
Sep 6, 2022
Westfield NY
Thank you everybody! Great advice and a number of things that I realize I now want. The MMM is probably the way to go and I don’t need to spend the extra on the ride over. Electric chute deflector should do the job. SSQA is a definite. I wasn’t considering pallet forks but now I see the value in them. Weight box was in my plans but I forgot to mention that. I feel much more confident now. Again, thank you

Reactions: 2 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
I was going to vote against the MMM, thinking that it would require removal for just about any other significant tractor work.

I would advocate for a rear finish mower, with a Land Pride quick hitch, to facilitate rapid implement changes for greater convenience (including the weight box). :)

Reactions: 4 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
OP, I understood you only asked about add ons…so this is maybe perspective you did not ask for…it’s hard to imagine without understanding your property…will you be mowing all 5 acres regularly? Before you sign any paper I would encourage you think about how long that will take to mow and how often you plan to do. An acre (football field basically with obstacles to mow around) could take 45 mins or an hour maybe. Is that your expectation? Two ways to shorten that time…faster machine (ZT) or wider cut (more HP). Wider cut may mean more machine. If no need a MMM, small L might be best dollar/value, however that might not be compatible with a front snowblower…if I understood your location you are dealing with lake effect (cab). Maybe consider before write off LX3310. (I had a BX before my B…just sayin’). keep us posted and bring pics what you bring home. Good luck. 🥃

Reactions: 2 users
Sep 3, 2022
America
I like Pat's Quick Hitch. When I was in the market for 3pt attachments for my Ford 9n, a deal came up on CL and had a slew of attachments for one low price! They're all older of course - post hole auger, screw type wood splitter, dirt scoop. Pat's works universally and gets you past the frustrating part quickly - getting the (sometimes imovable) arms to align with the pegs. Just recently bought a set for my latest tractor.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Just my $0.02... I had a B7510 with a mid mount mower... Used it once took it off and got a zero turn. I never have looked back. As to the thoughts of forks or a grapple with a BX. I think if you have anything much to move you will find the BX can't lift the weight you think it could.
Not sure if you have much in the way of woods on your land. But the BX is a bit fragile when it comes to running over sticks and the like. I think an LX would be too big for 5 acres but you might want to consider a B2301, 2401 or 2601. No plastic fan underneath to get broken. Also the loader will lift more.
For Grapples Everything Attachments has some really good ones that are around the same weight as the bucket.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Although I don't vote against a MM mower, you should put some thought into what holds more priority or uses for your tractor.
I had a MM mower for my first compact tractor. The new ones might be easier to roll under and attach, but it never gets easier with time. To be reasonably easy it needs to be removed on concrete or at least a level & smooth ground. I always had to get down under to connect the pto shaft and a couple of other hookups. Again, the newer ones might not be quite as demanding on your body. But they do take a little time and effort to hook up.
The MM mower always seemed to be left on when I needed it removed for other duties......or off when I needed to quickly go out and mow before the rain started.
The rear finish mower behind my B2650 goes on in less than 3 minutes and off in half that time. All while standing up. (No quick hitch, either.) It doesn't matter if it's dropped off on concrete, yard or in the woods......it's still easy to attach or drop off.
I agree you might save a half hour with a MM or zero turn while mowing a large area with trees......but how often is that extra half hour saved put to valuable use every time your done mowing? I find my mowing time gives me pause to comtemplate the next projects and their order, enjoy the outdoors, etc. But that's just me.
It also doesn't take long to get familiar with the RFM behind your tractor to allow mowing next to buildings, around obstacles, backing under overhanging hedges or clotheslines, etc. There's 19 or 20 trees to mow around in my rural residence yard and it didn't take long to come up with a mowing pattern that makes mowing around them both quick and efficient (if you have room). My roughly 2+ acres of lawn with the trees takes less than two hours to mow with the 5 foot RFM. Another 2.5 acre rural lot with about 3 rows of trees on it also takes less than 2 hours to mow at a liesurely pace with the B2650.

With all the other duties on our wooded acreage, mowing becomes one of the lesser ones. For me, the ease of the RFM attach/detach when using the tractor for other duties more than outweighs the little time that might be saved and used by mowing with a MM mower. I shouldn't have let the dealer talk me into a MM mower the first time.

A rear finish mower behind a Kubota hydrostatic drive tractor is certainly worth considering given all the factors and other uses for your tractor.

Reactions: 5 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Although I don't vote against a MM mower, you should put some thought into what holds more priority or uses for your tractor.
I had a MM mower for my first compact tractor. The new ones might be easier to roll under and attach, but it never gets easier with time. To be reasonably easy it needs to be removed on concrete or at least a level & smooth ground. I always had to get down under to connect the pto shaft and a couple of other hookups. Again, the newer ones might not be quite as demanding on your body. But they do take a little time and effort to hook up.
The MM mower always seemed to be left on when I needed it removed for other duties......or off when I needed to quickly go out and mow before the rain started.
The rear finish mower behind my B2650 goes on in less than 3 minutes and off in half that time. All while standing up. (No quick hitch, either.) It doesn't matter if it's dropped off on concrete, yard or in the woods......it's still easy to attach or drop off.
I agree you might save a half hour with a MM or zero turn while mowing a large area with trees......but how often is that extra half hour saved put to valuable use every time your done mowing? I find my mowing time gives me pause to comtemplate the next projects and their order, enjoy the outdoors, etc. But that's just me.
It also doesn't take long to get familiar with the RFM behind your tractor to allow mowing next to buildings, around obstacles, backing under overhanging hedges or clotheslines, etc. There's 19 or 20 trees to mow around in my rural residence yard and it didn't take long to come up with a mowing pattern that makes mowing around them both quick and efficient (if you have room). My roughly 2+ acres of lawn with the trees takes less than two hours to mow with the 5 foot RFM. Another 2.5 acre rural lot with about 3 rows of trees on it also takes less than 2 hours to mow at a liesurely pace with the B2650.

With all the other duties on our wooded acreage, mowing becomes one of the lesser ones. The ease of the RFM attach/detach when using the tractor for other duties more than outweighs the little time that might be saved and used by mowing with a MM mower. I shouldn't have let the dealer talk me into a MM mower the first time.

A rear finish mower behind a Kubota hydrostatic drive tractor is certainly worth considering given all the factors and other uses for your tractor.
What Bird Dogger said is right on! And sharpening the blades is fun also. That will make you buy another loader tractor just to service that deck by leaving it on. :)