mx5100 hst hydraulic filter change

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
Changed out my Hydraulic filter. Have a steel type band wrench. Came off easily.
Put it new one on, lubed the rubber seal , tightened it back up with the strap wrench. Fired up every thing seemed normal. Ran the tractor for about 1/2 hour
Changed the engine oil and filter. when I went to drain the engine oil noticed the filter leaking a little bit. Put the strap wrench back on it, maybe got another 1/4" of movement. Noticed there is a notch ring on the edge of the filter like for a spanner wrench. Didn't have a spanner big enough to fit. I could take a punch and hammer and try to crank it a little tighter but didn't. I figured I'd wipe it clean and take a look at it latter and see if its still dripping. Any thoughts this?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
by chance are you sure the old gasket came off with the old filter?

And as far as tightening - I think you got it tight enough. Never heard of getting a filter as tight with the same pressure as getting it off. Most hit bottom then add another 1/4 to 3/4 turn depending on the filter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do not over tighten the filter! :eek:

Most likely you have some foreign material on where it seals or you have a bad filter. ;)

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Did the filter have a circular magnet in the mouth? If so, did you take out the old one before putting in the new one (if a magnet was included with the new filter)? Silly question but it is worth checking.

Not sure about your model, but my M7040 works like that. I think the HSTs are similar.

Too much tightening will warp the seal. Be careful.

djzander

Equipment
MX5100 4WD HST
Dec 6, 2016
Graysville Ohio USA
Unfortunately I'm 2 hours away from the tractor and the old filter.
Worst case i'll pull it back off and inspect much closer. it may be just fine, It was only a few drops, if had left extra parts ,i.e. gaskets, magnets etc.
I will check it out when i get back to visit it.
I was wondering why there is a spanner ring on the filter and if there is a tool for it.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
That is the correct filter number for HST in a grand L or MX.
Heavy thick base. No magnet!

Just recheck that o ring mating surface and a possible double up of the o ring from the previous filter. (doubtful) Wipe off residual oil and check for leakage.

Pat

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The HST filter has an o-ring on it. All one has to do it spin it on, and snug it up. They always seem to tighten themselves up over time. However, with the O-ring, they are really sensitive to dirt/debris/etc getting between the filter and it's mounting base. It needs to be squeaky clean or it WILL leak.