MX 4800 Gear Noise

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Hello,
I test drove a new MX 4800 gear drive 4wd the other day, that tractor is the right size for my needs. The dealer had it a few dollars less than the L4701.

I owned a m4800su for several years my only gripe was after the transmission got warmed up the gear whine was terrible.

I would like to hear from owners of gear drive MX4800 to see how much gear whine you are getting from these tractors.
Thanks.

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Hello,
I went back to the kubota dealer and test drove the MX4800 in hst.
Both of these tractors gear drive and hst seemed to be quiet. Engine was very quiet and very smooth. The salesman said hst whine is much less in the new line of kubota tractors.

I would like to hear from owners of MX4800 or MX5200 hst or gear drive.
How much noise or gear whine are yall getting from these tractors? Or any other issues I should be aware of.
Thanks for posting.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
MX 5100 HST about two yrs old. Only time I notice is when in high and running the road, then it is loud. 90% of the time when working it, I leave it in mid range and it makes minimal noise. Don't notice it over the engine.

Only issue I have with it is you have to watch the light rear end. This thing has more guts than back side. I do alot of hauling (400 miles 4-5 times yearly), so I am not going to fill the tires. Just be extra careful using the FEL without a bush hog or something heavy on the back end.

Love the little tractor. I tend to run it at about 1700 rpm. PTO rpm is about 2400 rpm but it burns twice the fuel at that speed.

Doc

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
I have fewer than 30 hrs on my MX4800DT and I don't notice any gear noise.

So far I have absolutely no complaints. I haven't had rear tires filled yet, so have kept implement on back when I've used FEL. I am going to build a rear ballast box at some point just for convenience.

Wish I would have ordered with rear remotes and possibly 3rd function on front. I haven't needed either yet, but could see needing down road. I think the 5200 has standard adjustable lower links which would be nice. They are an option on 4800 which I did not order. Purchased a quick hitch instead which so far is very helpful.

I also considered the 5200, but really could not justify the added expense - for my needs. Understand the only difference from 4800 to 5200 is turbo which adds a few hp to both engine and pto.

I looked hard at JD and got real close on kyoti. JD came down to price and lack of dealer interest in working with me. The kyoti dealer was just too far for me, although the package deal they offered me almost made me jump.

Ended up with kubota because I liked the dealer, the price, the reputation for quality, and residual value if I decide to upgrade in future.

Last edited:

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Its been a few months, but I wanted to say thanks to Dalroo and DocGP for your replies. Your comments were appreciated. I have decided to buy a bigger used tractor at this point to stay away from DPF. I am considering a L2501 for light duty work around the house but I will start a new forum for opinions on that. Thanks again.