mowing vs landscaping tractors. Do I need 2 tractors?

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
I'm considering buying either a B2650 or a B3350 with a backhoe+thumb, and, if it's the B2650, then possibly with a 60" MMM. I already own a BX2670 w/FEL and 60" MMM and I'm not sure whether to keep it or sell it.

Here are the 2 jobs that I need the tractor(s) for and the terrain type:
Terrain: 30 acres of mountainside with trails, of which, 2 acres requires finish mowing and 1 acre requires bush-hogging.

Uses:
In addition to the finish and rough mowing, we have about 1 mile of fieldstone walls that we've been reclaiming for landscaping uses around the property, plus other hardscaping and gardening projects.

The problem:

Q: Can I finish mow (some tight spots near house), rough cut and do material handling/landscaping on a mountainside with a single tractor? If so, would a B2650 do the trick? Or, do I buy the B3350 and keep the BX2670 for mowing?

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Welcome to OTT.

A BX is an expensive mower.

Sell it, get the B without MMM, and get a mower for mowing.

Bruce

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
bcp,
Thx for your reply. Yeah, ideally, that's what I'd like to do but I didn't want to make my first post here too long.

So, what do you suggest for the 'mower for mowing'. There's enough of a grade that I probably need 4WD for the finish mowing. Though, a zero-turn mower (ZTM) is possible.

The ZTMs that seem suitable for mowing hills look to be in the $6k +/- range. Tho, I've just started looking at them so I can't say for sure. So, sure, that's definitely better than the $17k +/- that I have tied up in the BX2670. Any suggestions for the mower?

FWIW, for the finish mowing the grade is around 10% in most areas and a bit steeper around the house.

Last edited:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I can't help with the mower selection. I don't have one. No grass. :)

Bruce

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
K ; ) The BX or the JD subcompacts are popular mowers around here. The 2WD Cub Cadet-type equipment won't work given the terrain. I see some ZTMs, too. If it was a riding mower I wouldn't get on it w/o a ROPS here.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Zero turns are much faster and better suited for mowing. I had a B2320 with a 60" MMM. Then I got a L3560... So I sold the B and bought an X-Mark ZT with a 60" deck. I mow about 3 acres, and that ZT is the right tool for the job (it was so much faster - I would say half the time). Now the tractor is used for tractor things without a lot of hassle of changing things over. Just my opinion.

If you do get a ZT, just don't go to cheap, or plan to upgrade the seat. The higher end units have good suspension seats. My XMark Radius X Series has a wonderful seat that has an adjustment knob to set it for your weight. I love that seat, and wish I could get one for my tractor (maybe a future project). The Radius X Series was the lowest priced unit you could go and still get the adjustable seat. I tried the lower priced units and chose this one because of the seat. I can't properly describe how much better it is on your back.

You mentioned the B3350. Just me, but since you live in a cold climate, I think I would avoid the B3350. They may have fixed most of the emission problems, but I do not think I would want to deal with it or have to worry about it. I am not trying to start a war on the benefits of the B3350... there are a lot of people in warm climates that love them, and it sounds like they may have finally gotten fixes in place for northerners... however, it is getting to be an increasingly more complicated system that requires more DPF burns, and there is no long term evidence of how long the filter will last. Again just me... but there is no way I would buy a B3350 (especially in cold climates) until there was more long term evidence that they have fixed all the problems.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
I was originally in the same position you were in, trying to make a good purchase for my property.

I purchased a B2650 with the idea that I was going to get the mid-mount mower as soon as mowing season hit. As of now, 2 years later, I did not buy the mid mount mower, but instead I bought a 60" Exmark zero turn with bagger. I am extremely happy with my zero turn. It is very fast and with the bagger, it makes fall leaf clean up a breeze.

After using the B2650, I think it would have been too top heavy for some of my hills and slops, slower (turning around), and would have damaged some of my yard where it doesn't dry out well. Plus it is taller, so I would have to trim up some of my trees.

If I could rewind , I would have bought a L3301 or 3901. This is mostly because I could use the extra weight for the landscaping chores, the few extra HP, and I wouldn't have a need to spend the money on a mid-mount PTO. (I think a L2501 is cheaper than a B2650)

Another thing that I have been trying to do is buy implements that are not model specific and can be used on both a B and L so that for down the road if I ever choose to trade the B2650 in, all my stuff will work with an L.

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
Zero turns are much faster and better suited for mowing. I had a B2320 with a 60" MMM. Then I got a L3560... So I sold the B and bought an X-Mark ZT with a 60" deck. I mow about 3 acres, and that ZT is the right tool for the job (it was so much faster - I would say half the time). Now the tractor is used for tractor things without a lot of hassle of changing things over. Just my opinion.

If you do get a ZT, just don't go to cheap, or plan to upgrade the seat. The higher end units have good suspension seats. My XMark Radius X Series has a wonderful seat that has an adjustment knob to set it for your weight. I love that seat, and wish I could get one for my tractor (maybe a future project). The Radius X Series was the lowest priced unit you could go and still get the adjustable seat. I tried the lower priced units and chose this one because of the seat. I can't properly describe how much better it is on your back.

You mentioned the B3350. Just me, but since you live in a cold climate, I think I would avoid the B3350. They may have fixed most of the emission problems, but I do not think I would want to deal with it or have to worry about it. I am not trying to start a war on the benefits of the B3350... there are a lot of people in warm climates that love them, and it sounds like they may have finally gotten fixes in place for northerners... however, it is getting to be an increasingly more complicated system that requires more DPF burns, and there is no long term evidence of how long the filter will last. Again just me... but there is no way I would buy a B3350 (especially in cold climates) until there was more long term evidence that they have fixed all the problems.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
conropl,
Now I understand why the dealer is steering me toward the B2650 instead of the B3350. He mumbled something about 'emissions' but didn't say that the emissions controls affected performance. Also, I just realized that the wheelbases on the smaller L series is about the same as the B series. Initially, I was thinking the L would be too large but maybe that could work for me if it has a B-like center of gravity and turning radius.

I still have to think about the best tractor and ZT for steep hills/rough terrain...

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
I was originally in the same position you were in, trying to make a good purchase for my property.

I purchased a B2650 with the idea that I was going to get the mid-mount mower as soon as mowing season hit. As of now, 2 years later, I did not buy the mid mount mower, but instead I bought a 60" Exmark zero turn with bagger. I am extremely happy with my zero turn. It is very fast and with the bagger, it makes fall leaf clean up a breeze.

After using the B2650, I think it would have been too top heavy for some of my hills and slops, slower (turning around), and would have damaged some of my yard where it doesn't dry out well. Plus it is taller, so I would have to trim up some of my trees.

If I could rewind , I would have bought a L3301 or 3901. This is mostly because I could use the extra weight for the landscaping chores, the few extra HP, and I wouldn't have a need to spend the money on a mid-mount PTO. (I think a L2501 is cheaper than a B2650)

Another thing that I have been trying to do is buy implements that are not model specific and can be used on both a B and L so that for down the road if I ever choose to trade the B2650 in, all my stuff will work with an L.
eng1886trk,
This is gr8! Sounds like we're working similar ground. I'm an hour NE of Scranton to give you an idea of terrain. We don't have 'soil' so much as just rock and mud + hill/mountainside slopes. I'll definitely look at the ZT and L series that you mentioned. Thx for the tip about not paying for the mid-mount PTO.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
for mowing NOTHING beats a zero turn. I have a 42" toro and mow my 2 acres in 1 hour 15 minutes - lots of trees and things to mow around too.

If it's more wide open and you have a bigger deck you can mow a lot faster.

And mine was $3200 new. WAY cheaper than ANY BX I"m thinkin.

Been warm here too long...have to mow again..at the farm I just about finished putting the mower deck back on my L175...no fun at all. I want a 3pt finish mower instead. And the deck has to come back off (easy) to put the snow blade on.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I have to say any of you guys that think the BX is a lawn mower are way off base, in fact you in left field! I do 5 1/2 acres with the BX plow snow pull lug tug and most anything I want and she beats any other color tractor I have ever had of the same size. And the 60inch deck will do everything you want and look good
NOW you 30 acres to contend with, and not knowing what you intend to do, cut timber cut trails maintain trails what ever, the B might or might not be a good choice depending on the size of stone your moving and you know you are going to find other things you didnt know you wanted to do.
And to answer your question ,,,, hell yes you need two tractors!!! Does your lovely bride have only one pair of shoes? Just sayin

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Na, you don't need two tractors. In fact you don't even need one tractor....you just want something to make life easier. You could buy/rent goats or sheep or let things be.

We're just a bunch of spoiled, over indulging folks with too much discretionary income who buy these things so we have something to keep us busy and keep the economy going.:D

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I’m all for the one tractor idea. Maybe if I were retired, had money to burn and didn’t mind doing maintaince on two machines it would be different. As much as I love working with my kubota, I have other interest that I like to spend time doing.

With that said, and I’ve said all this in here numerous times, I went with the L3800 Hydrostatic with FEL and R4 tires. I use a finish mower on my yard and it works great, the FEL stays off until I need it, it’s very easy to take on and off. If you don’t have a lot of things to mow around this is a good option, in my opinion. Yes a zero turn would probably be a little faster but I can’t imagine it cuts much better than my set up.

I also cut around 7 acres with a brush cutter a few times a year, run a tiller thats wider than my rear tires along with a 6’ box and 6’ Blade.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

On a side note I’m being a little hypocritical as I have three motorcycles at the moment. Lol. ***128077;

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
For my lakefront property, the MMM that came with the Kubota turned out to be too large and cumbersome to deal with the many hillocks, swales and plantings. I abandoned it in favour of a return to the riding mower and just use the tractor for things like FEL and snowblower work.

But I can see where a single tractor with an MMM or finish mower could be a good choice for a large lawn that is reasonably flat and uncluttered. I think that the best choice depends on specific needs and circumstances and is therefore necessarily unique for each person.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
To add to what Torch said ....

I had a riding mower , actually two - they both worked, both with 42" cuts.....
I wanted a "new" tractor - bought a BX25D.....and got the 60" MMM.....cut perfect!!

But........aint there always a but??? I did NOT want to take off the FEL and the BH everytime I wanted to cut grass!!! SO I had a BX and a rider...

then I saw a B7100 on craigslist.......drove 80 miles, picked it up and now I had a much mo better grass cuttter, sold the mower (gave it away)...

Have about an acre on the lake, about 40 minutes away, took mower down there - took forever to cut - so I hauled the B7100 there, and after a while that too became a PITRA.

SO......got that disease ....Kubota disease and FOUND another B7100 that was a little sick - thought being, it stays at lake.

SO long story - I have 3 Kubotas!!! One for cutting at home, one for cutting at lake and the BX for hauling and digging other good stuff!

Have to admit - maintenance is a little more - but each doing their own thing is priceless!!! Having both B's with 3 point free is nice too!:eek::)

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I was having the same dilemma when deciding to add the mid mount mower when buying the B2650, I also have a BX2370 with mid mount mower, grass catcher, front loader and front snow blower, and have been pretty happy with mowing performance of my BX.
My main reason for changing is to have a warm cab when blowing snow. So I optioned out the B2650 with all the same options, and prior to agreeing on the setup I was 2nd guessing mowing with the B2650 and if it would be the best way to go. Friends mentioned zero turn, which was not something I was considering, no reason, anyways; I am now getting a Z400 zero turn and B2650, front loader and front snow blower, just waiting for it to be set up.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I use my BX23S for everything. 16 acres of rough terrain. Hoe for planting trees and digging trenches.

60" mmm for finish cut 3 acres.
48" bush hog for 1-2 acres. Might be going to Flail in spring?
60" snowpusher and hopefully soon a rear 54" snowblower.

Ive had more than one person try to sell me a ZT mower. If I have to be in 4x4 to mow, a ZT wont do it. One friend went so far as to bring his Kubota 72" commercial diesel ZT and just slid side ways down the front yard. When he went straight up, he just spun his tires. I have 2" spacers and I still mow at a 45° to the hill and still feel tippy.

I dont want another machine taking up space I use for other things.

I would love a L2501 and have everything off the 3pt, but I wanted the hoe more.

The B2650 with factory cab is kinda tippy. Its a bigger frame B, but not much wider than the 01 machines.

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
Update:
After getting some firm quotes from the dealer I'm leaning toward doing the following all at the same time:
1) Trade in my 1 year old BX2670
2) Buy L3100 4WD w/HST, FEL, BH77 hoe w/12" bucket+thumb, (to add: brush hog, possibly grapple)
--FWIW, the B2650, L2501, and L3301 were too close in price to NOT get the L3301.
3) Buy Kubota Z400 60" ZT mower

Questions:
1) brush hog width? Dealer says 60" to match tire width? But, I'm more concerned about pulling the deck up a 10%+ grade. Any thoughts on this?
2) mechanical or hydraulic thumb? (I'm looking to use as a grapple to move fieldstone)
3) what size FEL?, Quoted as LA525 w/66" bucket? (I'm thinking possibly a narrower bucket. I want more force vs capacity)
4) Any opinions on the Z400 ZT on hills, overall performance?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I could do everything you need to do with the BX and save a pile of money, LOL.