Mower Attachment

threeoaks

Equipment
L2800D
Apr 26, 2016
Charleston, SC
Currently have a Kubota L2800 with a FORD 74" FLAIL MOWER.

The property is 13 acres. It is a horse farm so it is all cleared and all grass.

The grass gets very thick here in South Carolina during the summer time. We have to cut once every two weeks. There are no sticks or other types of debris in the pastures typically. Just sometimes some annoying large weeds.

The flail mower doesn't do a great job of cutting the grass. It is just a really a rough cut. We only have the flail mower because it came with the tractor when we bought it used..

Should we look into a finishing mower attachment?

Any one have any experience in this area or suggestions?

Thanks,
John

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
A finish mower will take more power to cut the same size/heigth grass as a rotary cutter. The rotary cutter will cut faster but not as clean but will also cut really thick grass where the finish mower will have a slow time of it.

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
Since you already have the flail mower, what condition are the hammers in? Are they sharp, beat up, wore out? I would look at them first. It might be cheaper to replace them than to buy something else. I really don't have much experience with them, but I know Sheepfarmer has one and switched hammers.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have never used one my self but I have seen stuff chopped up with a flail mower and the better shape the hammers the better the cut. My self I would explore new hammers, before spending money on an other piece of equipment you may not need

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would suggest experimenting with your flail mower adjustment. The knives might be in bad shape, but I'd bet they'll still cut what your needing cut.

I have a Ford 6' flail mower that I bought from a guy that mowed about 15 acres with it and never did much for maintenance. It shows it. I replaced a couple of bearing on the rear roller, and welded up some brackets, that's all. Did nothing to the knives.

I pull it behind a Deutz 6206 which is about a 60HP tractor. I've mowed "stuff" that was 5' tall, just to see what it would do. If I set to mower down like I was mowing a yard, it mows as nice as a finish mower. Unbelievable really!

If you go over to tractorbynet you can find a thread of several hundred pages all about flail mowers. You can get a PHD in flail mowers there.

Attachments