Moving heavy trailer with BX

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Need more specifics on the size and weight of trailer being moved, but overall not advisable given the size and weight of a B7100. You'll need a quick escape plan in the event the tail starts waggin' the dog....
16' flat deck, one is 1300lbs and the other about 1500lbs. So basically the same weight as the tractor with the moronic operator on it.

I could see them dragging me if I can't actuate the brakes.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
16' flat deck, one is 1300lbs and the other about 1500lbs. So basically the same weight as the tractor with the moronic operator on it.

I could see them dragging me if I can't actuate the brakes.
Add more weight to the tractor, front and back. I've moved a 20ft tilt deck with a JD x739 (flat ground) MANY times without electric brakes connected and without an issue. I'll be doing the same with my BX23s.

Last edited:

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Add more weight to the tractor, front and back. I've moved a 20ft tilt deck with a JD x739 (flat ground) MANY times without electric brakes connected and without an issue. I'll be doing the same with my BX23s.
Weights are on the mod list already. Unfortunately people still want pandemic prices for iron around here, but I'm going to find some stuff eventually to make wheel weights.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Weights are on the mod list already. Unfortunately people still want pandemic prices for iron around here, but I'm going to find some stuff eventually to make wheel weights.
West Cascade Region?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Instead of a trailer brake controller just need a 12 volt switch hooked in a trailer plug with a good ground. instead of the brake controller being able to modulate the brakes in would be more of a roll/no roll of the trailer wheels. This is due to a trailer brake controller needs to see the brake pedal apply pressure(kind of a PWM switch). Also trailer brake controllers are not weather resistance(okay, I didn't look, just assuming). An SPST switch can be and only about 8 bucks(again didn't look still have some out of a 20 pack bought years ago). You would have to try very hard to flat spot the tires at the low speeds you should be using move the trailer. Also for cheap weights I use old brake rotors that I get for free from work, but about any shop would give you some for cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
Instead of a trailer brake controller just need a 12 volt switch hooked in a trailer plug with a good ground. instead of the brake controller being able to modulate the brakes in would be more of a roll/no roll of the trailer wheels. This is due to a trailer brake controller needs to see the brake pedal apply pressure(kind of a PWM switch). Also trailer brake controllers are not weather resistance(okay, I didn't look, just assuming). An SPST switch can be and only about 8 bucks(again didn't look still have some out of a 20 pack bought years ago). You would have to try very hard to flat spot the tires at the low speeds you should be using move the trailer. Also for cheap weights I use old brake rotors that I get for free from work, but about any shop would give you some for cheap.
Yeah, that's probably the easier way. I would have used the manual feature on the brake controller, they have a sliding potentiometer type switch on them, but you're right that it probably wouldn't matter or be needed.

I threw out a bunch of brake rotors last fall, but it's a good idea, I can easily get them.

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I have gone as far as just putting a rope on the trailer brake safety switch cable and pulling that out locking the brakes in an oh Sxxx situation. I use old 25 pound lifting steel weight plates that slide on a 1 inch bar welded in a 2 x 2 receiver hitch bar. Can stack up to 12 for 300 pounds on my setup.

Reactions: 1 user

Kingcrabb

Equipment
B7100, Bx25
Sep 8, 2023
Cecil County, MD
I have a bx25 backhoe and have a 2” ball welding in the front loader bucket. I use that to move my smaller trailers around the yard. I also have a ball welded to the loader cross beam in the middle of the arms and use that ball to lift and move my 36’ goose neck car trailer around my property no problems. (Pump turned up to 2000psi)