moisture in instrument panel

jplumb

Equipment
bx25d
Dec 9, 2013
rimer,pa,usa
My BX25D has excess moisture in the instrument panel to the point that it is hard to read the gauges. It may be why my tachometer stopped working. I have a service manual and it explains how the tach gets its signal but not much else. Any ideas would be helpful.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
My BX25D has excess moisture in the instrument panel to the point that it is hard to read the gauges. It may be why my tachometer stopped working. I have a service manual and it explains how the tach gets its signal but not much else. Any ideas would be helpful.
jplumb,

I don't know how old your BX is or how many hours on it. Probably sounds like a warrantee claim to me. Call dealer for correct info. Dash cluster is not hard to change (takes about 15 minutes). Any moisture inside means that the cluster is not properly sealed, and over very little time will cause it to completely fail. (Been there, done that.)

Best of luck.

Dave

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do what Dave said - get the dealer involved. That has been a BX25 problem......and Kubota knows it!;):)

jplumb

Equipment
bx25d
Dec 9, 2013
rimer,pa,usa
jplumb,

I don't know how old your BX is or how many hours on it. Probably sounds like a warrantee claim to me. Call dealer for correct info. Dash cluster is not hard to change (takes about 15 minutes). Any moisture inside means that the cluster is not properly sealed, and over very little time will cause it to completely fail. (Been there, done that.)

Best of luck.

Dave
Dave, my tractor is about 4 years and has a little over 800 hrs on it. This moisture problem is a recent thing. I thought that there might be a vent for the cluster that became plugged. I'm due for an oil change so I think I'll remove the cluster and see if I can find a solution. Thanks for the reply.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My BX25D also had fogging. I had a warranty replacement done at 50 hours. The new panel also fogged. I emailed the dealer about it, told them I did not want a new panel but I wanted it on record in case of failure. I was told a panel is in the neighborhood of $300+. I have heard of many BX25D owners with the same issue.
My tractor is stored covered with an open from (3 sided) building. It is not left out in the rain, It has only gotten wet during a wash down and I blow it dry.
Obviously, there is a design flaw that enables moisture to enter and not vent out. Instead, it condenses on the glass usually and eventually drips down unless it is in the sun, where the moisture can be evaporated and hopefully mostly vented out as humid air. If enough drips down, the electronics will get wet, corrosion will start and lead to eventual failure.
I've not taken my panel apart yet. If it does fail and the dealer will not man up, I'll try to repair and resolve the design flaw. If I cannot repair it, I'll replace and fix the design flaw (having already expreimented on my old one!)

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Mine gets moisture in it...been keeping it tarped...meaning to get some good windshield urethane caulk and run a bead around the perimeter.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Mine gets moisture in it...been keeping it tarped...meaning to get some good windshield urethane caulk and run a bead around the perimeter.
I do not think the moisture comes in from around the glass, I think it comes in via the electrical plugs. All hot after use, as it cools, is 'breathes in'. If you just washed it, a few drops of water, otherwise, just cool, humid night air. This accumulates over time. I've applied dielectric grease to the sockets and the moisture on the glass 'seems' to of gone away but......
Kubota needs to either fully encapsulate it or design a venting system.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The moisture comes in around the glass. Theres a gasket between the meter assembly and the glass, and the gasket fails and allows air (with moisture in it) to get into the assembly. Worst with pressure washing, as the high pressure water blows right through the gasket. In the worst cases, the glass just lifts off of the meter assembly.

It's got warranty for a reason. If it's under 2 years old, just have the dealer replace it-and make sure they log the current hours so you can keep up with it since the new meter assembly will be 0.0 hours.