MMM unusual problem on B7100

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So....was cutting grass with the ol' girl, going up a fairly good grade that has been cut a 100 times....

all of sudden ...poof - smoke and a very ugly grinding sound.

clutch and pto off, limped it back to the trailer and hauled it home.

Took off MMM yesterday, those who have a B7100 know how much fun it is to take off the #$%@#$%@#$ mower! It cannot simply slide out....

thank goodness I have a FEL around to lift it.

Pulled it out and removed pulley covers.....and dayum.......ONE of the mmm mount bolts had come out.... dropped onto the deck and with all that whipping around of the belt, placed itself up against the right most pulley and shell of housing.

It was so tightly packed against the deck and the spindle/belt I had to take a crowbar and tap it out. It did not want to move! Even spinning the belt backwards did not help. A little more persuasion and it came free. The belt looked shredded but maybe still usable in a pinch.

New belt I had already in the shed - impact the 4 bolts of the drive pulley and that was fixed.....clean and greased well.

then I looked at where the bolt came from.....of the 12 bolts that hold the mmm brackets up, 6 were loose and two where missing! ( I had tightened them all last year and knew one was missing)

long story short - it took a hellva lot longer to run a bolt from inside out on the housing (old holes where stripped out) and use nuts on the front side. Did this in 4 locations.

My hands still hurt from try to stick them in those small cavities trying to hold onto the bolt. With the deck out the way - it was a bit easier!:D

Attachments