Maintenance question

Northernsierras

Equipment
L4701
Aug 5, 2017
johnsvill, ca
I just hit 50 hrs on my L4701 with manual transmission. The operators manual says to change the hydraulic filter but the section with instructions on how to do it says to change the transmission fluid with the hydraulic filter. The book also says that the transmission fluid needs to be changed every 400 hours, not every 50. Can someone clarify this? Also, how do i change the hydraulic filter without hydraulic fluid spewing out?

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
At 50 you just change the filter then at 400 change the filter and fluid.

Most models you can change the filter fast and very little fluid will be lost. ;)

Some put a vacuum on the fill port to keep the fluid from flowing very easily.

sgtboz

Equipment
Kubota L3800/L3940, BH77/BH90 Backhoes, www.bozhog.com
Sep 11, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK
www.bozhog.com
It is certainly a little confusing at first to think about changing out a filter without also changing out all the fluid (which can be pricey.) As wolfman noted, I've always just put a shop-vac in the fill port under the seat. It creates enough suction to keep anything more than a dribble from leaving the tractor when you have the filter off.

Anytime someone tells me to "just change it out real fast", that's when I know I'm going to drop the new filter and it'll roll just out of reach, all the while I'm trying to put the old one back on to stop the flow of fluid from the tractor.

The vacuum-in-the-fill-port is a winning strategy for sure. I tried to dig up a picture I once posted but can't seem to locate it right now.

Reactions: 1 user

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
My tractor is a 2016 L3301 manual trans DT....My book sez change hydraulic fluid and filter at 400 hrs. No filter change at 50, just at 400.
Wonder why they are different ?:eek:

Doctor481

Equipment
MX5200, loader, 6' bush hog, 6' land plane, lots of old farm tools
Aug 21, 2016
Louisiana
On my MX5200 with manual transmission, I put a clean 5 gallon bucket under the filter. When the filter is loosened, fluid starts to drain into the bucket. Finish removing the old filter and install the new filter, you might have 1 gallon of oil in the bucket. I drain the old filter into the bucket, any particles should be captured in the filter media. I reinstall the captured oil into the system, straining it through a paint filter. I might loose a couple ounces of oil.

Reactions: 1 users

Cotton Top

Equipment
Kubota L4701
Nov 18, 2021
Alabama
I am looking for an aluminum adaptor plate that mounts to the transmission under the seat on the right side of the tractor. This plate is to mount the float valves and supply hydraulics for the rear remotes. Does anyone know what the part number is for this plate or where I can buy this? My tractor is a Kubota L4701DT with 7.5 hours on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank all

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am looking for an aluminum adaptor plate that mounts to the transmission under the seat on the right side of the tractor. This plate is to mount the float valves and supply hydraulics for the rear remotes. Does anyone know what the part number is for this plate or where I can buy this? My tractor is a Kubota L4701DT with 7.5 hours on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank all
That aluminum adapter and associated valves have been superceded. The replacement kits are available from the dealer. Are you starting from scratch or do you have some of the old valves?

Dan