M9540F - water pump

yendor65

Equipment
M9540F
Jun 30, 2023
Oklahoma
Is there a consensus on who makes good quality after market parts? Kubota wants $270 for their pump and I'm seeing about half that for after market pumps.

ref; Kubota part # 1C010-73032

yendor65

Equipment
M9540F
Jun 30, 2023
Oklahoma
Generally speaking I usually agree with that philosophy. However, after taking a $2000 beating on a Kubota AC compressor that didn't last one year I'm not so sure it matters.

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Second going with the OE Kubota pump.

AND from a reputable supplier. Avoid the random Internet merchants who may or may not have an actual Kubota pump in the box!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would do OEM, but you need to get the updated part number:
1C010-73035

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
water pumps are one of those items where they are not "made" aftermarket (usually), rather remanufactured.

Who does the reman process, what is done, that is the question? And what components are they using?

Often reman parts are sold at a reduced rate than OEM new replacement, which it sounds like the OP is looking for....

with that said, ask yourself why it's cheaper. I have had exactly zero luck with reman water pumps, except automotive industry, but I generally rebuild them myself if possible using known-good quality components.

I have also had reman automotive a/c compressors die within 50 miles of use, due to failed bearing(s). In one case it never made it out of the shop, turned the engine and a/c on, ran for about 5 minutes checking it over and the compressor started making noises, seized, ate the belt off and filled the entire system with a/c failure "stuff". Reman, so the only thing "they" (reman company) paid for was the compressor, while I was on the hook for everything else (about $2500 my cost). Never again. I'll still offer reman stuff in some cases, but when I do I let the owner know what the reman warranty is-the reman part only, and nothing else.

On my car, I rebuilt my own a/c compressor. Piston type, pretty simple about like an HST transmission. A lot of Kubotas use scroll-type compressors now which are a LOT more efficient, also a lot more expensive. Generally speaking scroll compressors don't die, UNLESS the system is not taken care of. I.E., let the condenser get plugged, evaporator get plugged, and/or let a non experienced "a/c tech" do some work on it (under charging, overcharging, etc) then they can fail.

In Kubota stuff, we sold a few reman starters and alternators. Failure rate was roughly 75%. Warranty didn't always take care of it either. We (dealer) quit selling them. Things may have changed since.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
water pumps are one of those items where they are not "made" aftermarket (usually), rather remanufactured.

Who does the reman process, what is done, that is the question? And what components are they using?

Often reman parts are sold at a reduced rate than OEM new replacement, which it sounds like the OP is looking for....

with that said, ask yourself why it's cheaper. I have had exactly zero luck with reman water pumps, except automotive industry, but I generally rebuild them myself if possible using known-good quality components.

I have also had reman automotive a/c compressors die within 50 miles of use, due to failed bearing(s). In one case it never made it out of the shop, turned the engine and a/c on, ran for about 5 minutes checking it over and the compressor started making noises, seized, ate the belt off and filled the entire system with a/c failure "stuff". Reman, so the only thing "they" (reman company) paid for was the compressor, while I was on the hook for everything else (about $2500 my cost). Never again. I'll still offer reman stuff in some cases, but when I do I let the owner know what the reman warranty is-the reman part only, and nothing else.

On my car, I rebuilt my own a/c compressor. Piston type, pretty simple about like an HST transmission. A lot of Kubotas use scroll-type compressors now which are a LOT more efficient, also a lot more expensive. Generally speaking scroll compressors don't die, UNLESS the system is not taken care of. I.E., let the condenser get plugged, evaporator get plugged, and/or let a non experienced "a/c tech" do some work on it (under charging, overcharging, etc) then they can fail.

In Kubota stuff, we sold a few reman starters and alternators. Failure rate was roughly 75%. Warranty didn't always take care of it either. We (dealer) quit selling them. Things may have changed since.
For me it really depends on who did the reman. Deere offers remanned starters, alternators, and turbos.

I've installed several remanned turbos. My company actually has a remann program. We sent the turbos to our fab shop and they send them out for repair and refurb.

I don't install remanned starters and alternators. Through Arkansas auto electric I can get certain starters and alternators new for $15 to $20 over the cost to rebuild.

I have had a couple rebuilt. But that was due to parts availability versus a 3 month wait for a new one.

I would never think of installing a remanned water pump on any of my equipment though. That's a serious mission critical part to be playing a game of roulette with. Plus the pita factor on some of my equipment to actually get to the water pump to replace it.

I want that repair to be a one and done. Not have a failure in a few months and have to go through the hassle again.

yendor65

Equipment
M9540F
Jun 30, 2023
Oklahoma
To all.....Thank you for the time spent crafting meaningful replies! Appears there is no consensus on quality after market parts.

I'm sure that some will not agree but I can tell you from my own experience that SOME "aftermarket" parts are in fact IDENTICAL to the oem parts. They come out of the same factory and they are built to the exact same specifications. You can say the same thing about millions of different products across the entire spectrum of manufacturing. What's difficult is figuring out the OEM and whether or not they are selling the same thing under a different brand name.

Now that I have thought about it, perhaps I should have titled the OP "Does anyone know the OEM for Kubota water pumps?"

Thanks again for everyones replies.....I'll end with.....Does anyone know the OEM for Kubota water pumps? LOL!