M9540 Hyd Filters

McCray

Equipment
M9540
Apr 9, 2023
NC
I purchased NAPA #7098 hyd. filters for my tractor. They will not accept the magnet. I have John Deere, International and Ford tractors and none have a magnet. My feeling is if the media paper is of high quality, why do I need a magnet. The fluid is racing by the magnet in high velocity and cannot be but so efficient. Welcome feedback from others if I need to go with made in China Kubota filter with magnet or use the NAPA filters I bought. Thanks for reading.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
nice to have the magnet, catches the bigger stuff. But I've seen plenty without magnets and I can't say there was any big issue. for me, the magnets are more for my own good....next time i pull a filter off, I can see what went through it. If it's big stuff, like tips of gear teeth, might want to worry. But one can also stick a magnet to the bottom of the filter (glue it on) and next time you service the system, cut the filter open and see what's stuck inside. I do this on the race car. It's surprising how much "dust" is caught by the magnet. Dust being normal wear of iron and steel parts.

Reactions: 1 users

McCray

Equipment
M9540
Apr 9, 2023
NC
Thanks, Lugbolt. It appears Kubota began using a stem magnet on some models that was attached to the bung where the filter screws on. They then changed to ring magnets. Seems Kubota stared out the M9540 with no magnet on the filter and then changed over to include them. I bought Kubota filters this morning and will use to see if it eliminates the hydraulic whine I get when first cranked after a long sit. It is remains I will use NAPA on next filter change to see if the whine goes away. I am not against the magnet purpose, but I don't like the restriction to oil flow if presents as it partially blocks the inlet holes. I also don't like made in China. OK with China parts if I can see what I am buying but the filter paper is hidden so trust factor is low. This is a great website.