M7040 shuttle shift difficulty no reverse

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Thanks to all the folks with the great information, have been reading for a long time but finally have a question that I couldn't find a solid answer to.

I'm working on a big orange M7040, the tractor has a few operators and now has an issue. Tractor has 1200 hours and all fluids supplied by Kubota.

Tractor won't shuttle reverse in most of the high range gears. On flat ground, H1 will get the tractor to roll slowly back but you don't feel that little jerk of full engagement, adding rpm doesn't help. Keeping the shuttle in reverse if you work the clutch pedal 3 or 4 times often it'll engage fully and engagement can be controlled with the clutch pedal 100%. If you shuttle shift N-R you're back to the same mush. If you put it into low range, say L1 or L2, it'll engage quickly, you can clutch, back to Hi range and use the clutch to reverse in any gear as long as you don't shuttle shift.

History:
Tractor was working fine the previous week, behaving normally, it had a blown line on the front remote circuit and the tractor was towed at walking speed for 200 yards to get it close to the shop and away from any bad places to drizzle hydraulic fluid, line repaired and fluid was between the marks. A front grapple was attached so I'm thinking between the empty remote lines and possibly empty grapple, fluid dropped below the dipstick. I got a note that someone added 2.5 gallons of fluid. Fluid level was just under a gallon high, drained it down to get it back between the marks. Tested the tractor to find the above behavior. After running it around a bit it seemed a little better but not much. Fluid level seems okay but rather frothy after running, though I usually don't observe it except before running. The weak reverse issue was reported before they opted to add fluid. I'm trying to get the details on how the trouble started.

I'm not sure how the forward/reverse shuttle delay works, if its a hydraulic accumulator that's filled now with air, does it self purge over time? Where should I start? Thanks again for a great site with a ton of useful information!

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
A call to the dealer suggested to check the linkages on the f-n-r lever for proper travel, now I did see here that there is a pressure requirement for the servo for each, does anyone have a pic or a good pointer to where the test port locations are? are they 1/4 npt or a metric?

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I can help with part of your question;
- the threads are bnpt.
- the location is behind the fuel tank.
You really need a service manual for this.

E/S

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Thanks for the info, BNPT? British? how random! I found the linkages for the shuttle under the tractor between the trans and fuel tank and wow, they're frail looking! Anyhow, with someone moving the lever the reverse didn't seem to have the same throw as forward, just 1mm shy or so, loosened the locknuts under the dash and moved the cable down 2 full turns of the nut. This seems to have resolved the problem but it seems setting the lever position with a pressure gauge is the right way to go.