M7040 Hydraulic problem

wetdog

Equipment
M7040
Sep 29, 2015
Middleburg, VA USA
I have a M7040 tractor that when the bucket is flat on the ground and you try to tilt the bucket down (to apply pressure to the edge of the bucket when you want to reverse spread or scrape) nothing happens, the bucket wont move and the hydraulic pump labors. Every tractor I have owned (5, currently I have 2 Fords) when you apply tilt down on the bucket it will actually lift the tractor up. Dealer says this is a "thing with Kubotas" and not a problem they will address or try to fix. Given my past experience with tractors I don't believe them. I bought this tractor new and have had this problem from day one. The bucket controls up, down, tilt up, tilt down all work fine except tilt down when on the ground.
My question is, does anyone out there have a M7040 that has the same problem or with your tractor with the bucket flat on the ground if you "tilt down" will it raise the tractor up.

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
My bucket on a LA1153 will lift the front wheels of the tractor off the ground just fine. Both in bucket curl and boom power down.

I'd be concerned about the sound of the pump laboring. Perhaps the relief valve is engaging too soon.

How does it work lifting very heavy objects with curl up...like boulders, a bucket full of gravel, or such? How about heavy things on the 3PH?

Check the quick attach connections to make sure they are secure...unhook them and reconnect.

Will the boom arms lift the tractor with the bucket on the ground (not using curl)? If so, then the pump and relief valve should be fine.

From your post, it sounds like the curl down function is the only area of concern. Will curl down work on something like a head-high pile of brush or a large boulder. That is, is the problem only when the bucket is on the ground?

That's all I can think to check for now. Maybe others have more ideas.

wetdog

Equipment
M7040
Sep 29, 2015
Middleburg, VA USA
Thanks for info GWD.

Bucket works fine in all other uses. No problem lifting heavy gravel load or a ton of pellets with pallet forks. Boom power down will lift the tractor.

The tilt (curl) down just has no power even on a soft pile of brush, straw or manure pile. If I want to back drag or scrape I have to raise the boom tilt down to the desired angle, then lower the bucket to the ground or pile of manure and apply pressure using the boom power down.

It is especially annoying when using the grapple attachment. I cannot adjust the tilt angle to get at roots while in motion.

moelkhuntr

Equipment
M7040, Ford 5600, JD 6420
May 6, 2012
SE MO
My M7040 also has slight hydraulic issues once in a while. Like it gets locked. Move in opposite direction and then it will work. I was also told this was an issue with Kubota.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Nothing like a pressure gauge and hydraulic coupling fitting to find out if all is well.
Less than $50 to invest. There are two relief valves which can impact your loader or 3pt. The easy one is near your rear remote and the other under the shielding for your loader valve. If either one is out of adjustment it will affect all things on the circuit since they are in series

Dave M7040

jcummins

Equipment
Kubota M7040, F3680, JD Gator 855D
Oct 19, 2013
Creal Springs, IL
My M7040 is similar with the curl down. I had a different M7040 in Texas, it's hydraulics was a bit stronger than this current M7040 I have, not sure about it's curl down though.

Having said that, I haven't encountered any work I've done where it's a problem. Perhaps I just adjust how I used the hydrualics, not sure. I have a grapple, and I don't have any issues with it's use. Short of it, it's that way but not a problem for me.

On edit:...what I notice more than anything is the hydraulics are slow. If I'm doing a lot of loader work, I throttle up.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Wetdog

my 6040 is the same way as yours. I've found it annoying at times as well but just work around it same as you.. Yes my loader will indeed pick up the front-end with the main cylinders but not the tilt or curl.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave_eng:

Will your bucket lift the tractor up with just a curl down?
Wetdog
Sorry for the delay in answering your question but I was away from my tractor.

I tried today and with nothing on the 3pt it will not lift the front end using the curl down, I know if I have my snowblower on the 3pt it will lift the front end using just the curl. It will using the main loader arm cylinders.

I also know my hydraulic pressure is low, about 600 psi, but have not had time to adjust the relief valve for the FEL.

Dave M7040

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have some info owner's of M7040 with FEL may find interesting.
I was having trouble lifting my large heavy snow blower (when the blower was covered in snow and ice) on the 3pt hitch in spite of using the lift arm holes which provide the greatest strength.
My shop manual provided instructions for setting the 3 pt relief valve which is located near the rear remotes.
I bought a new gauge and hydraulic fitting to plug the gauge into a remote port. Total cost for the gauge and fitting was approximately $30 which is a great investment
For the test the tractor is to be run a full revs and then the remote valve activated and a reading taken from the gauge.
In spite of adjusting the relief valve to its maximum position, I was reaching about 2,400 psi which is approx 400 psi below the 2,800 psi setting in the shop manual.
I spoke with the dealer's mechanic some time ago about this and learned that the FEL relief valve could be the cause.
My health does not permit me to crawl under the tractor so I had the mechanic come to my place this week for the 300 hr service.
First he double checked the reading I was getting on the remote and then began to adjust the FEL relief which you access after removing the metal guard around the FEL valve.
Soon the remote valve was reading almost 3,000 psi.
He explained the hydraulic circuit this way.
The pump has two sections. One feeds the power steering and has an independent hydraulic circuit. The other section feeds first the FEL valve and then through a power beyond port the flow goes to the rear remotes and 3 pt. If the FEL relief valve is set below the factory 3,002 psi the pressure available for the 3 pt and rear remotes is reduced.
Now I can lift the front wheels about 6" using only the bucket curl cylinders.
The workshop manual for the tractor does not show a hydraulic circuit for the FEL and the shop manual for the FEL is, for my level of knowledge on hydraulics, not informative enough about how the two systems integrate once on the tractor.
Dave M7040

Last edited: