M7040 3 Point slow lifting

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
Have you checked pressure at the cylinders yet? I would not take anything apart until I confirmed the pressure from the tractor was low.

Dan

Dan
Mr. Dan, Yes I have and at idle it’s less than 200 at the cylinder. I have made some bone head moves since Friday. Prior to me making the original post I had already ordered and paid to have a pump overnighted because I needed the tractor for the weekend. The new pump didn’t change a thing, secondly I have another tractor that is working perfectly and I switched the relief valves and the tractor with issues still has issues and the other one works fine.
The PCV is looking to be my last resort??

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I have made some bone head moves since Friday. Prior to me making the original post I had already ordered and paid to have a pump overnighted because I needed the tractor for the weekend. The new pump didn’t change a thing,
Over the many yrs I been associated with repairing tractors I've read of many hyd pumps being replaced without good hyd diagnostic procedures being performed only to determine as you did that the replaced hyd pump was not the problem. I also agree some hyd diagnostic procedures can be difficult to perform.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And yes the PCV is under the cover. There is a recent posting that shows this but I can’t find it
Found the thread with the top cove removed showing th position control valve

Start looking at post 77 for pictures and links to videos

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
Found the thread with the top cove removed showing th position control valve

Start looking at post 77 for pictures and links to videos

Awesome thank you

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
Awesome thank you
So I finally found the problem. The draft linkage was beginning to freeze up. I disconnected the linkage (shown in picture) and noticed it was a little hard to move back and forth. I exercised it and now it has 1500 psi at the remote at idle.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
M
Have you checked pressure at the cylinders yet? I would not take anything apart until I confirmed the pressure from the tractor was low.

Dan

Dan
Mr Dan just wanted to let you know I was able to fix the issue and wasn’t sure if you saw the post. I disconnected the draft linkage and exercised the rod which seemed like it was trying to freeze up.

Attachments

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
i've done quite a few of those M-40's with bad/leaking (internally) position control valves. On most of the cabin models you have to lift the cab a little bit to get the top cover off to get access to the PCV. Then you can take the valve off, take it apart, free up the sticking valve(s) and reassemble. Make sure you have a service manual handy as there are a couple of adjustments that need to be made.

but before deeming it bad, you really should test the hydraulic pump-the correct way. Pressure AND flow. Need to make sure the pump is not damaged and the rest of the system feeding the pump isn't restricting flow.

the valves can get sticky in the pcv which causes an internal leak, which reduces pressure available to the rockshaft cylinders Raising RPM increases hydraulic fluid flow enough to make a little more pressure. Remember, pressure is a sum of restrictions in the system. Sometimes you can get them apart to repair, other times not. On the majority of the ones I did, I found that they were using tractor supply company "Kubota compatible" hydraulic fluid. I can't blame them, it's cheaper, but there was question as to whether the hydraulic fluid might have contributed to the valve sticking. I couldn't answer that question other than I've seen a few of them with the same issue and they all used cheap fluid.
So do you think the draft rod is freezing up were it goes into the rock cover or would it be in the valve, either way the cover has to come off correct? It’s working now but with me just exercising that rod a couple times I am sure it’s not long before it stops working again.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
M

Mr Dan just wanted to let you know I was able to fix the issue and wasn’t sure if you saw the post. I disconnected the draft linkage and exercised the rod which seemed like it was trying to freeze up.
Thats interesting but I fail to see how that would affect pressure at a remote. Presumably the remotes are ahead of thd 3pt valve. A WSM would be helpful.

PS> 1500 PSI is still way lower than I would think normal.

Dan

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
Thats interesting but I fail to see how that would affect pressure at a remote. Presumably the remotes are ahead of thd 3pt valve. A WSM would be helpful.

PS> 1500 PSI is still way lower than I would think normal.

Dan
The WSM calls for 2632 -2770psi at 2600 and it’s just over 2600 at 2600 RPMs. I have a hard enough time with draft in general but I guess if it’s not closing all the way it was allowing pressure to bypass???

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The WSM calls for 2632 -2770psi at 2600 and it’s just over 2600 at 2600 RPMs. I have a hard enough time with draft in general but I guess if it’s not closing all the way it was allowing pressure to bypass???
So you are in fact getting full pressure at the remotes.

Draft control and position control are different fumctions. Are you talking about the lever thst switches between the two? You need to be in position control to get the behavior you want.

Dan

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
So you are in fact getting full pressure at the remotes.

Draft control and position control are different fumctions. Are you talking about the lever thst switches between the two? You need to be in position control to get the behavior you want.

Dan
The WSM is calling the rod the draft feedback rod.
It’s #3 in the attached photo is the one I disconnected and exercised.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The WSM is calling the rod the draft feedback rod.
It’s #3 in the attached photo is the one I disconnected and exercised.
I can see how draft control might be causing your 3pt lift problem. I cannot see how it would affect pressure at the remote. Your pressure test indicates you are getting full system pressure delivered to the 3pt control valve.

Dan

Last edited:

Mikec575

Jun 30, 2023
Texas
I can see how draft control might be causing your 3pt lift problem. I cannot see how it would affect pressure at the remote. Your pressure test indicates you are getting full system pressure delivered to the 3pt control valve.

Dan
Understood. So a couple factors, human (lol), secondly I went to Kubota and bought new fittings for the remote, lastly I took the relief valve out for another visual inspection and backed it off a turn, tightened it two turns. So unfortunately to many variables to nail it down to one, but the draft controls “probably” had nothing to do with remote pressure.